Singing Tires
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singing Tires

Singing Tires

Temps got into the mid 50s today. Perfect time to test the handling with the newly installed fork brace. I like it. I did notice that both my tires started singing as I leaned her over more then usual through the corners. Don't recall hearing that. Maybe it's because I had the tunes turned off. I got 7200 miles on the tires with good tread depth and the tires don't appear to be cupped or feathered. I run the recommended tire pressure of 36F / 41 rear. I was hoping to get 10,000 miles out of the Stones before I go to Elite 4s.

FOBO should arrive via FedEx on Saturday. I'll be watching TPs like a hawk instead of every couple of weeks like I had been doing.

My part time job is 5 miles away; but, I found a 35 mile shortcut home. I think my wife understands my new math.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69

I noticed mine also started singing around the 7k mile mark. I now have about 8,500 miles on the original tires and still sings when I am leaning into a turn. My tires still have good tread and I watch the air pressure. Hmmm?

I'm not an expert but!

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Temps got into the mid 50s today. Perfect time to test the handling with the newly installed fork brace. I like it. I did notice that both my tires started singing as I leaned her over more then usual through the corners. Don't recall hearing that. Maybe it's because I had the tunes turned off. I got 7200 miles on the tires with good tread depth and the tires don't appear to be cupped or feathered. I run the recommended tire pressure of 36F / 41 rear. I was hoping to get 10,000 miles out of the Stones before I go to Elite 4s.

FOBO should arrive via FedEx on Saturday. I'll be watching TPs like a hawk instead of every couple of weeks like I had been doing.

My part time job is 5 miles away; but, I found a 35 mile shortcut home. I think my wife understands my new math.
    It seems to me that tires singing when going thru a leaning curve doesn't sound to me like everything is kosher. I would double check how your forks are aligned and loosen up your fork brace with the front tire elevated and then retighten your brace. I might be wrong but that just doesn't sound right too me.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    It seems to me that tires singing when going thru a leaning curve doesn't sound to me like everything is kosher. I would double check how your forks are aligned and loosen up your fork brace with the front tire elevated and then retighten your brace. I might be wrong but that just doesn't sound right too me.
    It's normal. Some tires do it more and sooner than others. I went through this for 17 yrs of Valkyrie ownership and different brands of tires. I think keeping pressure up around 40F & 42R helps keep it at bay for awhile. As the center of the tires wear & flatten out, the tires will sing when you lean and transition to the tread either side of center. The bodywork(panels) on some bikes make it more noticeable too. Kinda forms an echo chamber.

When you lean or turn, your hearing the difference in tire tread between having more tread left in the side than in the center.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

I will recheck the fork brace install tomorrow. What is the reasoning behind keeping the front tire elevated verses being on the center stand? I was hoping that the sound was caused by the tread depth difference. It rides smooth with no vibration felt in the handlebars.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    I will recheck the fork brace install tomorrow. What is the reasoning behind keeping the front tire elevated verses being on the center stand? I was hoping that the sound was caused by the tread depth difference. It rides smooth with no vibration felt in the handlebars.
    I don't think you have a problem.

My tires started singing at about 16k. Needed replacement at 18k.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

This may be an odd question but have you changed helmets?
    I notice a big difference in tire noise when I go from my half to full face helmet.

Just a thought.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Nope, still wearing the 3/4 lid. I'm wondering if it's a combination of riding on the aggressive side and being early in the riding season for me and I have to get used to the sounds again.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974