Singing Tires - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Singing Tires

The F6B and Honda must be a different Animal

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    It's normal. Some tires do it more and sooner than others. I went through this for 17 yrs of Valkyrie ownership and different brands of tires. I think keeping pressure up around 40F & 42R helps keep it at bay for awhile. As the center of the tires wear & flatten out, the tires will sing when you lean and transition to the tread either side of center. The bodywork(panels) on some bikes make it more noticeable too. Kinda forms an echo chamber.
    I wore out a bunch of tires on my M109R usually every 7 or 8 thousand miles I needed a set and never once did I hear the tires sing on a curve and I have worn out one set on my F6B and no singing there either, I think Dolly must be a dancer and not a singer. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Temps got into the mid 50s today. Perfect time to test the handling with the newly installed fork brace. I like it. I did notice that both my tires started singing as I leaned her over more then usual through the corners. Don't recall hearing that. Maybe it's because I had the tunes turned off. I got 7200 miles on the tires with good tread depth and the tires don't appear to be cupped or feathered. I run the recommended tire pressure of 36F / 41 rear. I was hoping to get 10,000 miles out of the Stones before I go to Elite 4s.

FOBO should arrive via FedEx on Saturday. I'll be watching TPs like a hawk instead of every couple of weeks like I had been doing.

My part time job is 5 miles away; but, I found a 35 mile shortcut home. I think my wife understands my new math.
    As has been mentioned, try "jacking/upping" your front pressure to 40PSI! The 36 psi recommended by Honda will quickly induce cupping!

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    As has been mentioned, try "jacking/upping" your front pressure to 40PSI! The 36 psi recommended by Honda will quickly induce cupping!
    Duh, stupid me. I had been running 38F / 40R. This morning I reset the TP to those recommended by Honda. It was after that I noticed the new sounds. Guess the easiest thing to do is increase the TP and see what happens. Don't know why this piece of critical info slipped my mind.

Thanks for the reminder.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69

Mine does the same the thing. Got new tyres and it's not as noticeable. Just the wear difference as said before.

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Cupping might be riding "style" induced. I stick to 36 psi and have 14,500 on front tire with no cupping. Will change it in another 1,000 as it will be down to the wear bars. 36 psi also a lot smoother than 40 psi. Rear replaced at 13,300.

i like your shortcut

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Temps got into the mid 50s today. Perfect time to test the handling with the newly installed fork brace. I like it. I did notice that both my tires started singing as I leaned her over more then usual through the corners. Don't recall hearing that. Maybe it's because I had the tunes turned off. I got 7200 miles on the tires with good tread depth and the tires don't appear to be cupped or feathered. I run the recommended tire pressure of 36F / 41 rear. I was hoping to get 10,000 miles out of the Stones before I go to Elite 4s.

FOBO should arrive via FedEx on Saturday. I'll be watching TPs like a hawk instead of every couple of weeks like I had been doing.

My part time job is 5 miles away; but, I found a 35 mile shortcut home. I think my wife understands my new math.
    Nice shortcut!
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

I often hear of problems when running too low of a pressure but never anything with too high a pressure. I run 41 to 46 in both tires and no problems with cupping, singing or any abnormal wearing. Usually get 12 or so on the rear and about 15 on the front with good brand tires like E3 etc.. Just wondering about any disadvantage to even 48 or more pounds of pressure. Think erring on the high side is better than on the low. Thinking it is better to air up at a high number and leak down to perfect than air up at perfect and leak down to low. Every tire I've ever had loses a little air over time.

Today I increased the front TP to 40 and a lot of the singing went away. Ran my hand over the sides of the tire and could not feel any feathering or cupping. After, just to satisfy my curiosity, I reinstalled the fork brace. When I originally installed it I torqued the bolts to 10 ft/lbs. I noticed that the rear bolts were not even snug. Time for some Blue Loctite. Reinstalling took a little more noise away. Looks like it was a combination of things. Thanks for the suggestions.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69