Remote saddlebag door release? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remote saddlebag door release?

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Received the Muth Mirrors and the remote bag openers yesterday from Winfstuff.com. Got the Muth mirrors already installed (easy peasy to do). They looks GREAT!

Gonna do the saddlebag remote openers prolly today... I just need to figure out a cleaner way to attach all of my multiple accessory power leads to the battery (Gerbings power lead, Battery maintainer pigtail, and now the remote Saddlebag receiver lead).

Think that I'm going to splice them all into one power eyelet (keeping the fused leads for each one further down each wire). That'll clean up the attachment point at the battery.
    I believe Gerbing has an adapter to plug into the tender pigtail...could save you a run of wire.

tender pigtail should come with the tender = Just about any auto store sells them.

Received the Muth Mirrors and the remote bag openers yesterday from Winfstuff.com. Got the Muth mirrors already installed (easy peasy to do). They looks GREAT!

Gonna do the saddlebag remote openers prolly today... I just need to figure out a cleaner way to attach all of my multiple accessory power leads to the battery (Gerbings power lead, Battery maintainer pigtail, and now the remote Saddlebag receiver lead).

Think that I'm going to splice them all into one power eyelet (keeping the fused leads for each one further down each wire). That'll clean up the attachment point at the battery.
    Seems to be time for an Aux fuse box?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    I believe Gerbing has an adapter to plug into the tender pigtail...could save you a run of wire.
    They may have one. But I have so many different Gerbing power leads and such, I ain't buying ANOTHER one.

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    Seems to be time for an Aux fuse box?
    I was thinking more of a small power distribution box, rather than a fuse box. I haven't been able to find one locally though. So I'll probably just splice all hot wires into one eyelet (same with negatives) and attach to the corresponding battery terminal. All spliced accessory wiring will still maintain their inline fuse.

At any rate, i am halfway done with installing the MBL saddlebag actuators... wired up everything this late afternoon and THEY WORK wonderfully.

Just need to clean up the wiring to the battery tomorrow morning. Then put the bike back together. probably be done by noonish.

I did use the supplied heat tape by MBL for where the saddlebag cable release ends attach to the actuators. Someone earlier had remarked that they used other sized shrink tape... but the size that MBL includes with the kit works well. I went and got a Harbor Freight heat gun ($12.99) to shrink them... worked very well also. Normally I use a BIC lighter to shrink heat tape but decided that a heat gun was better for this application.

Trying to figure out where to place that white box (MBL receiver) under the seat... where did the rest of you guys put it? It about the size of a fat pack of cigarettes. I'm thinking of leaving it on the top rear of the fuel tank; seems to be enough space there and close to the battery to runs the wires from it as well...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Gratuitous pictures

Gratuitous pictures of the installed actuators:

Not a hard install, but have to re-read the instructions a couple of times for it all to "sink in" mentally. The OEM locking latches have to be removed (of course) and the saddlebag door cables have to be rerouted from right to left/left to right; which involves unbolting the radio and moving it forward a bit. I think the pull on the saddlebag cables is better in this manner anyway (more of a straight lined shot for the cable to work - less stress on it).

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Gratuitous pictures of the installed actuators:

Not a hard install, but have to re-read the instructions a couple of times for it all to "sink in" mentally. The OEM locking latches have to be removed (of course) and the saddlebag door cables have to be rerouted from right to left/left to right; which involves unbolting the radio and moving it forward a bit. I think the pull on the saddlebag cables is better in this manner anyway (more of a straight lined shot for the cable to work - less stress on it).
    I put the controller/receiver in my left saddelbag. My Sirius XM tuner sits where the instructions suggested. I had run power into that bag anyways for the amplifiers.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I put the controller/receiver in my left saddelbag. My Sirius XM tuner sits where the instructions suggested. I had run power into that bag anyways for the amplifiers.
    Ah, ok then... I think I'm going to leave it under the seat where I had previously remarked. Looks to be fairly weatherproof near the gas tank there... need to check fitment with the seat on first.

Going out now to tidy up all of the wiring and reassemble everything.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Think I'm gonna need auxiliary fuse box after all. Think I'm gonna get the Eastern Beaver PC8. I've bought stuff previously from him before. Good quality stuff.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

combining remotes

I am curious about the remote saddlebag release you are talking about.
    Is it possible to program my garage door remote to work these?
    Already have my garage door remote as a key fob and it has a couple extra buttons.
    If I can use a single remote I may pull the trigger.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by billsim View Post
    I am curious about the remote saddlebag release you are talking about.
    Is it possible to program my garage door remote to work these?
    Already have my garage door remote as a key fob and it has a couple extra buttons.
    If I can use a single remote I may pull the trigger.

Thanks!
    You would need to ask MBL Innovations about that.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537