AZ trip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AZ trip

AZ trip

Leaving in a 12 days or so to visit a buddy in Casa Grande, AZ. Thinking real hard about heading to the TX hill country to see some bluebells, never have. Thinking Los Alamos on the way there, and planning Taos and Angel Fire on the way back. I've ridden CO quite a bit, but none of W TX, NM, or AZ, what do I want to go out of my way to see? Thanks!

Mike

Az trip

Hey Mike,

I just returned from a Texas ride. The bluebonnets in the hill country are struggling this year, there was some early warm weather and then a cold snap and the blue bonnets and indian paint brush tried to bloom and then got bit back so not as many this year. The area around Fredricksburg is very popular in the Spring especially the Willow City loop. The Twisted Sisters around Leakey is one of Texas' most popular rides and this is the best time of year for it. I stopped at Luckenbach on my way home and everything there is very green and pretty.

If you have time to wander on your way to Arizona New Mexico Highway 152 from I-25 to Silver City is a great ride. From Silver city take Us-180 to NM-78 west into Arizona. Once in Arizona US-191 (the Devil's Highway) from Morenci to Alpine is one of Arizona's premier rides. The Devil's Highway tops out at 9200 feet so bring warm gear. From Alpine you can continue north to Eagar and pickup Az-260 west to Show Low and Payson and then Az-87 south to Fountain Hills and Phoenix and then on to Casa Grande.

While in Arizona if you have the time head up to Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. Canyon de Chelly on the Navajo reservation is also a great area to ride. In New Mexico the area north of Taos around Red River has some great motorcycle roads.

When in Phoenix if you have a time to kill give me a holler and maybe we can hook up.

Az wingrider

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    Hey Mike,

I just returned from a Texas ride. The bluebonnets in the hill country are struggling this year, there was some early warm weather and then a cold snap and the blue bonnets and indian paint brush tried to bloom and then got bit back so not as many this year. The area around Fredricksburg is very popular in the Spring especially the Willow City loop. The Twisted Sisters around Leakey is one of Texas' most popular rides and this is the best time of year for it. I stopped at Luckenbach on my way home and everything there is very green and pretty.

If you have time to wander on your way to Arizona New Mexico Highway 152 from I-25 to Silver City is a great ride. From Silver city take Us-180 to NM-78 west into Arizona. Once in Arizona US-191 (the Devil's Highway) from Morenci to Alpine is one of Arizona's premier rides. The Devil's Highway tops out at 9200 feet so bring warm gear. From Alpine you can continue north to Eagar and pickup Az-260 west to Show Low and Payson and then Az-87 south to Fountain Hills and Phoenix and then on to Casa Grande.

While in Arizona if you have the time head up to Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. Canyon de Chelly on the Navajo reservation is also a great area to ride. In New Mexico the area north of Taos around Red River has some great motorcycle roads.

When in Phoenix if you have a time to kill give me a holler and maybe we can hook up.

Az wingrider
    Thanks wingrider! Once I get a little closer to departure, I can see what the weather is doing and plan from there. I won't likely stay in Casa Grande long, he and his wife are VERY structured, so adding a body in the mix will be out of their comfort zone. I just want to say hi and check out his truck and hotrod. Haven't seen him in 3 years or so, and he was like a mentor.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    Hey Mike,

Az wingrider
    How's 60/77 down to Globe? Looks like really great rodes!

Mike

I will be on the 3 sisters all day April 7th. and up around Lake Travis on the 8th. Staying in Bandera Friday and Saturday Night. Give a yell if you see a grey F6B with two other bikes. Mike

Hwy 60

Once you top the hill out of Soccoro NM and make it across the plains into the trees 60 is a great ride to just outside greater Pheonix. Make sure to stop at Booga Reds in Springerville Az for some great food. 60 is a much more enjoyable ride (curves, hills, canyons, scenery and wildlife) than either I-10 or 40.
    NMRed
    IBA# 63255

AZ trip

Mike,

US-60 is a good ride from Socorro N.M. to Springerville Az. The VLA (Very Large Array) about 60 miles west of Socorro is a very large radio telescope visible from the highway and is definitely worth a stop. When you get to Springerville I would take Az-260 from there to Show Low. Az-260 is almost the same miles as US-60 to Show Low and much more scenic and fun. From Show Low get back on US-60 south to Globe. The ride through Salt River Canyon is amazing. From Globe Az-77 south over Christmas Pass, through Winkleman is also a good motorcycle road. Az-77 also goes right past Biosphere II, that glorious scientific experiment from the late 90s that created so much controversy. It was a failure but the facility is still there and maintained and worth the time to see.

Enjoy the ride
    As wingrider

Great stuff! I was planning on coming across to Taos, up to Tierra Amarilla, down to Espanola, to White Rock, across 4 to Cuba, then back and down 4 to Albuqurque. I was planning just hitting I40 and hauling tail to Flagstaff, then down thru Sedona, but I may change that. I need to print out some maps or get some and hi lite it all out for a north and south route without doing a bunch of backtracking. Damn I'm getting excited about this!

Mike

As ride

Head d to bike week in as Thursday. I keep,one down there. Prescott valley up thru Jerome and on to Sedona is a must! Stop at the spirit room in Jerome for sure then up to Sedona and oak creek canyon. Devils hey on Far East side towards New Mexico is another great ride. Anywhere up near payson to snowflake and that area always good. Enjoy

Headed out tomorrow. Going to hit as many of the fine suggestions as I can!

Mike