TPMS... nothing but crap
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TPMS... nothing but crap

TPMS... nothing but crap

Looking for a *good* TPMS system to put on the bike but, man, I'm really disappointed with what's available. Here are my thoughts o nthe kits I've looked at; anybody have a suggestion?

I'm leaning towards the Murph's kit. Hawkshead would be in the running but I don't like such long intervals between pressure updates.

Doran 360M - $200
    This is fairly popular with the GL1800 crowd and appears to be a well-made and good performing unit, however, the receiver is a big bulky box and although tire pressure readings are available you have to press a tiny button to see them. The normal readout on the display says "ON"... because Doran feels that displaying the pressure readings is a rider distraction. Huh? Dumb IMO. I think a rider having to reach for that tiny button is a bigger distraction than simply having the pressures displayed in the first place. Next, Doran's sensors only transmit pressure values to the receiver every 6 minutes... this is too long between updates IMO. Lastly, when Doran sensors die you can't change the battery, you have to repurchase the whole sensor; guys are reporting 1 to 3 year service life of the sensors which is far too short. My OEM car sensors are approaching 10 years. Tire temperature is not monitored, just pressure.

Show Chrome TireGard - $160
    The sensors used on this kit transmit pressure readings continuously as long as the bike is in motion... and tire temperature in addition to pressure is given... but the receiver is a delicate non-waterproof pocket fob with really bad reliability. Several people report failures within a year, and subsequent failures of replacement units. Further, I've seen reports fo Show Chrome being difficult to deal with in honoring warranties for this device.

Murph's Kit Tire Watch - $184 (made by LDL Technology)
    These sensors transmit every 1 minute and transmit both pressure and temperature... but temperature is only given in degrees C with no option to convert to F. These sensors also cannot replace the battery; a whole new sensor must be purchased.

Kisan Tire Alert - $250
    Complicated setup that requires mounting "pickup" transceivers to read the sensors. So far I haven't been able to find a retailer that has a Goldwing specific kit.

Hawkshead Moto Track 2 - $159
    Sensors only transmit every 5 minutes... but batteries can be replaced. The receiver is a battery operated pocket fob so if you have this turned on constantly during a ride, I don't see it lasting long. However... I guess you can let the receiver go to sleep and just rely on it waking up if a low pressure alert occurs.

Have you looked at the Garmin...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I like that option Steve... but no I haven't looked into it. I decided to keep my Garmin Oregon and not spend the big bucks for that.

I'm looking at car-oriented TPMS now; maybe there's something in the car world that can be cleanly and easily adapted for bike use.

shooter
    I have one factory Honda wheel sensor I will sell cheap if you need it. New takeoff.

Thanks Shooter...

At the end of the day I may make my own system... and have it work the way IIIII want it to

- fast updates
    - pressure and temperature monitoring
    - replaceable batteries in the sensors
    - customizable display to show the info that YOU want to see
    - weather proof receiver
    - selectable units

TPMS

You may try to find Tom Finch on the other Goldwing forum
    he displayed a system that was perfect in everyway, it displayed
    temp. psi and a few other things I just cant remember.

replace valve stems?

I noticed that many of these systems require metal valve stems due to the increased centrifugal force. From what I can see our valve stems are a metal/rubber hybrid. Will they need to be replaced before using a TPMS or will the metal supports be sturdy enough to support the sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by yellow rex View Post
    You may try to find Tom Finch on the other Goldwing forum
    he displayed a system that was perfect in everyway, it displayed
    temp. psi and a few other things I just cant remember.
    What forum do you mean?

I stopped posting on GL1800riders because of the heavy moderating and censorship over there... the heavy hitters there are slowly but surely migrating to theGLforum... which is where I go when I'm not here.

In addition... there's Steve Saunders, RidersRally, GoldwingOwners, etc... please don't make me search all of them for Tom Finch

Quote Originally Posted by Kevbuckley333 View Post
    I noticed that many of these systems require metal valve stems due to the increased centrifugal force. From what I can see our valve stems are a metal/rubber hybrid. Will they need to be replaced before using a TPMS or will the metal supports be sturdy enough to support the sensor?
    I don't know if any real failures have happened due to this... but the vendors who use external sensors strongly suggest upgrading to all metal stems. I believe the Doran kit comes complete with new metal stems.

Other kits have internal sensors and these replace your valve stems as part of the sensor.

I guess I'll be giving this a shot...

Orange Electronics - TPchecker $170
    Internet reviews are hit-n-miss... but it has just about everything I want. These sensors measure pressure and temperature every 3 seconds and transmit to the receiver every 30 seconds. Even with all this activity, sensor life is still rated at 3 years; batteries are not replaceable so you'll need to buy a whole new sensor. The screen is small but the characters are LARGE and READABLE while on the go. You can display pressure fulltime, temperature fulltime, or alternating pressure and temperature. Pressure units can be chosen as psi, bar, or kPa; temperature in C or F. The receiver is weatherproof and hardwired into the bike wiring so you don't need to worry about replacing batteries.

Finally, and maybe most useful, pressure and temperature can be read while the bike is parked! So with this, when you first get to the bike in the morning you can turn the switch to ACC and check your pressures... instead of only being able to check them AFTER you take off on a ride. Whoever thought motion activated sensors was a good idea?

Some people have reported early issues with this system while others have reported years of trouble free use. The feature set and useability is good enough that I'll take a chance... placing an order with Wingstuff now

I had Hawkshead on my RV. All 6 tires. I recently removed it because 1. Battery life and 2. False readings. It would, from time to time show pressure loss in a tire that was not true. Also, I rarely had all 6 operating at the same time. It kept giving me no sensor on the screen. I had the OEM Honda TPMS on my '12 Wing and it, too, gave me problems with false lights. I have gone old school and just check my air pressure with a tire gauge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]