Hello Dolly?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Dolly?

Hello Dolly?

A couple years ago, I went on a search for a dolly of sufficient length and weight capacity for our F6B's. After quite awhile and a lot of effort I found there just wasn't anything at all that appeared to fit the bill.....everything was either not capable of the weight, or it was woefully short. So....I finally gave up and went with a J&S Jack.

I don't really regret the J&S. It does a great job and it makes most maintenance chores a LOT less painful. One gripe I do have is that it is rather fiddly getting it positioned properly under an F6 prior to lifting. I put up with it...but for parking in my overcrowded garage, I still would rather have a dolly.

Lo and behold, a recent trip poking around ebay has turned this up......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drop-Tail-Tr...NYsmzD&vxp=mtr

Anyone have one of these? What do you think? Still shorter than I'd like....but they claim it will (albeit just barely) handle the wheelbase of an F6.

What do you think?

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    I finally gave up and went with a J&S Jack. One gripe I do have is that it is rather fiddly getting it positioned properly under an F6 prior to lifting.
    That's odd, I've also got a J&S jack (with the GL1800 adapter) and it's a no-brainer to position it correctly. Slide it under, look underneath to make sure it's positioned correctly and up she goes. And you're right, it makes life a lot easier with this bike.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Saw that at the MC show at Javits in NYC. Very nice. it would work!

Not to be cheap, but.....at nearly $500 (well over 500 once you pay for shipping) it should not only fit the bill but give you a good kiss and a reach-around as well.

I did find a couple others that 'should' work ...but they were equally as outrageously priced.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired

those look like they are more for moving your bike around thus "dolly."
    I'm looking for something that'll raise it up when I need to work on it. What are you guys & gals using to lift it like that??

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    those look like they are more for moving your bike around thus "dolly."
    I'm looking for something that'll raise it up when I need to work on it. What are you guys & gals using to lift it like that??
    Yes, well.....a moving dolly is what this thread is about, after all.

As for lifting, you should decide whether you are interested in a jack...or a table lift. If you're interested in a jack, then I can whole heartedly endorse the J&S Jacks....clearly the best of the available options. I love mine. If you're wanting a table....do a search here in the forum. They've been batted around quite a bit in the past (as have the various available jacks).

.....sY
    Journeyman ATCS, retired

The best and most robust dolly I have found to date is the BikePal, made in Canada.

http://www.thebikepal.com

It is claimed to be good for up to 2000lbs and is certainly long enough (84") for an F6B. But.....it's not cheap. Hell...it's not even reasonable.

When I emailed them for more information and a price (something they can't seem to be bothered to put on their website... always a huge warning sign), I received what appeared to be a mostly-boilerplated response. Most interesting in it was that '...BikePal retails for $695 CDN or $545 USD plus shipping....'. I responded with the fact that the current rate of exchange made 695CDN equivalent to only slightly over $518USD and did they still intend to charge American customers the higher amount?

....as yet, they have not bothered to reply. I can only imagine what they wanted to soak me for shipping. No doubt that would have been padded in similar fashion.

The search continues....

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired

Bike Pal

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    The best and most robust dolly I have found to date is the BikePal, made in Canada.

http://www.thebikepal.com

It is claimed to be good for up to 2000lbs and is certainly long enough (84") for an F6B. But.....it's not cheap.

When I emailed them for more information and a price (something they can't seem to be bothered to put on their website... always a huge warning sign), I received what appeared to be a mostly-boilerplated response. Most interesting in it was that '...BikePal retails for $695 CDN or $545 USD plus shipping....'. I responded with the fact that the current rate of exchange made 695CDN equivalent to only slightly over $518USD and did they still intend to charge American customers the higher amount?

....as yet, they have not bothered to reply. I can only imagine what they wanted to soak me for shipping. No doubt that would have been padded in similar fashion.

The search continues....

I have the BikePal. Bought it from a friend who used it on her NC700. My B fits lengthwise but only have a couple of inches to spare. The area where the kickstand goes is adjustable so it easy to conform to different bikes. I have pix and will post when we are able.
    It works for me. It takes some practice to perfect it. I have to go up a ramp and it was a bit tricky at first. The floor needs to be smooth when rolling it around as the small hard casters get hung up on small stuff. I have had it for over a year now and no issues, the casters are doing well and its quite sturdy. I use it all the time as backing down a ramp is not my favorite task. ...I would buy again but shipping is pretty expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    I have the BikePal. Bought it from a friend who used it on her NC700. My B fits lengthwise but only have a couple of inches to spare.......

That was something else that was in the initial email I received from them.....apparently there is a later, revised, version of the standard BikePal. The new version is claimed to be longer (84").

Alas.....it is now three days since I asked for an explanation to the misrepresented monetary exchange rate. They have been silent and are yet to respond.

I am not in the habit of begging anyone to do business, so I've written them off as they clearly do not want to do honest business on their own. (of course, at their prices they probably don't NEED to sell very many)

And Condor has not responded to my initial inquiry at all.

Beginning to think I'm going to have to find a jobber and just have one built.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired