Best routes???
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best routes???

Best routes???

Has anyone done these routes? Which ones are the "must do" ride??? I will be in Maggie Valley the first week of July and have a bunch of routes planned but won't have time to do all these so I am looking for feedback on the must do ones.
    thanks

http://www.appalachianbackroads.com/slideshow

If you still have GaTeach's info, ask her.
    She knows those roads very well.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    If you still have GaTeach's info, ask her.
    She knows those roads very well.
    yep for sure..rode with her there last summer. Great time. I even tried to mark-mark my GPS during the ride when I had time to focus...nothing slow about her..she can ride.
    I pretty much have a grip on the routes but there is always someone with a better idea.

Over the years I've ridden many of the roads your asking about.

IMHO they are over rated, not so much that they aren't fun rides but rather because of the traffic and the crazies that ride them. It's no secret that the area is a magnet for bikers who want to be able to say they've ridden the Dragon and other published rides. But once done one quickly realizes there are a lot better rides in various parts of the country that are a lot more pleasurable to actually ride.

The biggest problem is unless you have a local to show them to you you'll have a problem finding them. I was lucky in friendship, I had an old friend who lived in Maggie most of his life. Unfortunately he past away 2 years ago. Now I would get lost trying to find the very roads he led me down.

So my advise to you is go ride. Follow your handlebars or better yet, a friend who knows how to eventually get back home.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    Has anyone done these routes? Which ones are the "must do" ride??? I will be in Maggie Valley the first week of July and have a bunch of routes planned but won't have time to do all these so I am looking for feedback on the must do ones.
    thanks

http://www.appalachianbackroads.com/slideshow
    Those routes are a long way from Maggie Valley. From Maggie I would much prefer the area to the south of Maggie and north of Cashiers and Lake Toxaway and East of Franklin in the Pisgah Forest. Great roads and not much in the way of tourist attractions so little traffic. Plenty of waterfalls in the area to look at. Be sure you run 215 from just East of Maggie south to Rosman. Bunch of back roads from 215 back toward Franklin and north of Highlands. 215 crosses the BRP also so a run in either direction is an easy experience on that wonderful road. Just to the North West is the highest point on the BRP. You can spend a couple of days and not get far from Maggie. The Cherokee area is choked with cars most of the time and the road over the mountain to the north side is wonderful but back to back cars often. Dollywood and all those special tourist areas are on that side.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Those routes are a long way from Maggie Valley. From Maggie I would much prefer the area to the south of Maggie and north of Cashiers and Lake Toxaway and East of Franklin in the Pisgah Forest. Great roads and not much in the way of tourist attractions so little traffic. Plenty of waterfalls in the area to look at. Be sure you run 215 from just East of Maggie south to Rosman. Bunch of back roads from 215 back toward Franklin and north of Highlands. 215 crosses the BRP also so a run in either direction is an easy experience on that wonderful road. Just to the North West is the highest point on the BRP. You can spend a couple of days and not get far from Maggie. The Cherokee area is choked with cars most of the time and the road over the mountain to the north side is wonderful but back to back cars often. Dollywood and all those special tourist areas are on that side.
    Thanks for the great info. The 215 and BRP is top of my list for sure. The Cherokee will be a maybe but I think I will spend my days lost on those 215 side roads and enjoy the ride.
    We have 1360 mile ride to get there and plan 3 days to make it happen. Hopefully get to the start of the BRP just southwest of Washington the 3rd day and follow that to the back of the dragon http://backofthedragon.com/ then into Maggie Valley.
    I find with this bike I can ride forever just need to stop for fuel but the other guys with me might see it differently. One on a Honda 1300ctx and the other a Yamaha 1800 stratoliner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    Over the years I've ridden many of the roads your asking about.

IMHO they are over rated, not so much that they aren't fun rides but rather because of the traffic and the crazies that ride them. It's no secret that the area is a magnet for bikers who want to be able to say they've ridden the Dragon and other published rides. But once done one quickly realizes there are a lot better rides in various parts of the country that are a lot more pleasurable to actually ride.

The biggest problem is unless you have a local to show them to you you'll have a problem finding them. I was lucky in friendship, I had an old friend who lived in Maggie most of his life. Unfortunately he past away 2 years ago. Now I would get lost trying to find the very roads he led me down.

So my advise to you is go ride. Follow your handlebars or better yet, a friend who knows how to eventually get back home.
    thanks Bob
    Your so right on that...I plan on enjoying getting lost for hours but it's always nice to know somewhat where your going.

If you are down 215 take a look to the West of 215 and North of Lake Toxaway at Silversteen Rd., Canada Rd., and Charleys Creek Rd. All close and really good. More to the West closer to Franklin and North of Highlands is Ellijay Rd, Tilly Creek Rd. Cullowhee MT Rd., Pine Creek, Walnut Creek and Buck Creek Rds. All out in the boonies. 64 is a fantastic road all the way from Franklin down through Highlands (that has the several water falls) and over to Lake Toxaway but much used and with a good bit of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    Thanks for the great info. The 215 and BRP is top of my list for sure. The Cherokee will be a maybe but I think I will spend my days lost on those 215 side roads and enjoy the ride.
    We have 1360 mile ride to get there and plan 3 days to make it happen. Hopefully get to the start of the BRP just southwest of Washington the 3rd day and follow that to the back of the dragon http://backofthedragon.com/ then into Maggie Valley.
    I find with this bike I can ride forever just need to stop for fuel but the other guys with me might see it differently. One on a Honda 1300ctx and the other a Yamaha 1800 stratoliner.
    I don't think you will be able to do the Skyway that starts SW of Washington and make it all the way to even the end of the BRP much less the Dragon in one day. That is over 600 miles and with limited speed limits on the BRP. Two full days is needed if you include the Dragon and back to Maggie.

I agree with 2wheels.....I spent 2.3 days on the BRP (North to South) and I thought I was rushing it. So much to see.
    469 miles.
    45 mph, and at times a lot slower.
    That's 10+ hours in the saddle, not counting gas and food, pictures, inadvertent pull offs, etc......
    And I was doing faster than 45 when I could.....

Cherokee to the Dragon is another 3+ hours.
    Where is your lodging point that night?
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce