Best routes??? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best routes???

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    Has anyone done these routes? Which ones are the "must do" ride??? I will be in Maggie Valley the first week of July and have a bunch of routes planned but won't have time to do all these so I am looking for feedback on the must do ones.
    thanks

http://www.appalachianbackroads.com/slideshow
    Get ahold of me when you get to Maggie. I am heading up Thursday and will be about 15 minutes away outside Waynesville for the next 7 months. I am about a mile from the Blue Ridge. I have had a 2nd home in Western Carolina since the late 1960's and can put you on any kind of route or road you want and love to ride. I typically put about 18K a year on my bike and have owned 122 over the years. I just gave away 1 bike and sold 2 others as they were getting no miles with the F6B in the stable. What a great bike. PM me for contact info. I have a friend flying into Charlotte in May and renting a bike to ride with me. I get a lot of that.

Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Get ahold of me when you get to Maggie. I am heading up Thursday and will be about 15 minutes away outside Waynesville for the next 7 months. I am about a mile from the Blue Ridge. I have had a 2nd home in Western Carolina since the late 1960's and can put you on any kind of route or road you want and love to ride. I typically put about 18K a year on my bike and have owned 122 over the years. I just gave away 1 bike and sold 2 others as they were getting no miles with the F6B in the stable. What a great bike. PM me for contact info. I have a friend flying into Charlotte in May and renting a bike to ride with me. I get a lot of that.
    Wow 122 bikes.
    This is why this site ROCKS..this just made my day thanks much appreciated and look forward to riding with you.
    Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    lloyd,
    STRONGLY recommend this map:

Butler Map of "Southern Appalachia"
    All the motorcycle roads...

https://www.butlermaps.com/motorcycl...l-tn-nc-sc-ga/

I don't get sales commission, but it's a piece of gear I wouldn't want to be without if I'm riding there.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Just got my Butler map in the mail. It's a sweet piece of knowledge. I will now take a hard look at their best routes, compare and make adjustments. Nothing better than staring at this map over a brew and getting to know the area.
    It's waterproof too..never checked for the red filter lens with the flashlight but thankfully those days are done..ha
    thanks again for the advice
    Lloyd

Just got my Butler map in the mail. It's a sweet piece of knowledge. I will now take a hard look at their best routes, compare and make adjustments. Nothing better than staring at this map over a brew and getting to know the area.
    It's waterproof too..never checked for the red filter lens with the flashlight but thankfully those days are done..ha
    thanks again for the advice
    Lloyd
    I'm glad you like it.
    Yes, a cup o' joe and map study - long standing traditions of motorcycle riding seemingly giving way to technology.
    Not in my world. I like a hard copy in front of me.

Red lens flashlight???? Uh, yeah, I gave those up awhile back as well.
    And these maps are water 'resistant', not water proof - please don't ask how I know this. Lol.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Day 2 What is the better route?

I'm looking for someone to chime in who is familiar with this area. Which route would be the better? I'm thinking the 340S because I plan on hopping on the BRP when I get close enough.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Benni...!3e0!5i1?hl=en

I'm looking for someone to chime in who is familiar with this area. Which route would be the better? I'm thinking the 340S because I plan on hopping on the BRP when I get close enough.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Benni...!3e0!5i1?hl=en
    I've done similar routes in the past and my preference is to get the hell out of the NYC, Phila, Dc area as quick as possible. I slab it to Virginia then backroads.
    The backroads in our area are nice but once you get south of Dutchess County, those roads get crowded and busy. Just my thoughts FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    I've done similar routes in the past and my preference is to get the hell out of the NYC, Phila, Dc area as quick as possible. I slab it to Virginia then backroads.
    The backroads in our area are nice but once you get south of Dutchess County, those roads get crowded and busy. Just my thoughts FWIW
    thanks for the info. there will be 4 bikes and this will be Saturday. I will keep it in mind.

How was your stay? I am headed to the dragon and surrounding area next week and was interested to hear what you liked best about your ride.

It was outstanding. We did the Tail of the dragon 3 times and tied in the 28, the Fontana Dam and the foothills parkway(mini Blue ridge parkway with spectacular views). all in one day. Then did the Cherohala Skyway another day. The best was spending time on The Blue Ridge Parkway..3 days on that and it was by far my favorite.
    I plan on going back to just ride the Blue Ridge Parkway start to finish that in itself is a trip. Need more time but work keeps getting in the way..may have to give that up soon.
    Good luck and Ride safe.