Colorado and Utah April 28-May 6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado and Utah April 28-May 6

Colorado and Utah April 28-May 6

I've got the basics of a trip planned out. Hotels booked. Some of the routes set.
    Friday night April 28: Ride from Omaha to Fort Morgan, CO. (Leave after work on Friday)

Saturday April 29: Ride from Fort Morgan to Salida, CO. I don't have the route set, so if you have suggestions... I'll have time to explore this day beyond just the shortest route.

Sunday April 30: Ride from Salida, CO to Cortez, CO. I plan on exploring some roads in the Cortez area Sunday afternoon as I should have plenty of time after arriving.

Monday May 1st: Ride from Cortez, CO, to Mexican Hat, UT to Panguitch, UT. I'll follow the route set out on Motorcycleroads.com. It's rated as the #1 ride in Utah.

Tuesday May 2nd: I'll explore the Bryce Canyon area. No route planned yet for this day.

Wednesday May 3rd: Ride from Panguitch, UT to Durango, CO.

Thursday May 4th: Ride the San Juan Mountain Parkway (rated as #1 ride in CO). Stay the night again in Durango.

Friday May 5th: Ride from Durango to Colby, KS

Saturday May 6th. Colby to home (Omaha) in time for lunch.

I'll likely out about 3,500 miles or so on during the trip, assuming all goes anywhere close to plans.

It seems like it's been a very long winter. I'm anxious to hit the road!

-Jeff

Colorado and Utah ride

Jeff,

Your ride will be a great ride but be prepared for some cold weather. The San Juan Skyway has a lot of elevation and I have encountered snow on that ride even in early June. The Skyway will take you over Red Mountain Pass (11,000 ft), Coal Bank Pass (10,500 ft), Molas Pass (10,600 ft) and Lizard Head Pass (9,300). I did the Skyway in early May last year and although the roads were dry there was lots of snow on the shoulders and it was cold.

The ride to Mexican Hat and Panguitch is great choice. If you are going through Bluff, Utah at the right time of day the Twin Rocks Restaurant is a great place to eat. I would suggest staying at Bryce Canyon City instead of Panguitch. If time allows I highly recommend visiting Zion National Park while you are in the area, Zion is fantastic and the roads to and from the park are fantastic motorcycle roads. Cedar Breaks is also very good but check to see if the road has opened.

Bryce Canyon is at 8,000 ft elevation and also will be chilly. Utah Highway 12 between Bryce and Torrey is truly a beautiful ride, one of the best in the country. This road will take you over Boulder Mountain which is about 10,500 ft, so more cold. Utah-24 between Torrey and Hanksville takes you Capitol Reef National Park and is more great riding and a lot lower elevation. In Hanksville Duke's Slickrock Grill has good food. Stop at the Hole in the Rock store, it is a great photo op. From Hanksville to Blanding is a good ride and very dramatic where it crosses the Colorado River.

If you have the time ride north from Blanding to LaSal junction then east to Naturita and south to Cortez. this is a virtually unknown route and some of the best roads anywhere

Your ride plan is very good, you are just a little early in the season. i am not trying to discourage you, i have ridden these roads this ealy and even a little earlier but I urge you to check the weather often and remain flexible. I ride Southern Utah and Southern Colorado every year and sometimes twice a year, it is one of my favorite riding areas

Good luck
    Az wingrider

p.s. If you arrive in Silverton about noon you will probably be able to see the Durango Steam Train arrive. It is quite a sight

Az Wingrider,
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll be certain to check out your suggestions and take some of the routes. I'm glad I'll have enough time to add a few extra rides. I've never ridden Utah and all the routes I have planned in CO, along with the ones you suggested, will also be new to me. I've ridden the mountains of CO in April before, just not these particular routes... And it's been probably 4 years or so.
    I know I'm a little early in the season and am hopeful for clear roads and good weather. I've taken a few trips in similar weather circumstances and just try to prepare as best I can. I'm a big believer in heated gear. I have a heated jacket liner, heated socks, and heated glove liners (although I don't often wear the heated glove liners and rely on heated grips and good gloves). I also splurged on the heated option on my Russell seat (best money I ever spent was on that seat).
    I hope the weather cooperates...

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Necanefan View Post
    I've got the basics of a trip planned out. Hotels booked. Some of the routes set.
    Friday night April 28: Ride from Omaha to Fort Morgan, CO. (Leave after work on Friday)

Saturday April 29: Ride from Fort Morgan to Salida, CO. I don't have the route set, so if you have suggestions... I'll have time to explore this day beyond just the shortest route.

Sunday April 30: Ride from Salida, CO to Cortez, CO. I plan on exploring some roads in the Cortez area Sunday afternoon as I should have plenty of time after arriving.

Monday May 1st: Ride from Cortez, CO, to Mexican Hat, UT to Panguitch, UT. I'll follow the route set out on Motorcycleroads.com. It's rated as the #1 ride in Utah.

Tuesday May 2nd: I'll explore the Bryce Canyon area. No route planned yet for this day.

Wednesday May 3rd: Ride from Panguitch, UT to Durango, CO.

Thursday May 4th: Ride the San Juan Mountain Parkway (rated as #1 ride in CO). Stay the night again in Durango.

Friday May 5th: Ride from Durango to Colby, KS

Saturday May 6th. Colby to home (Omaha) in time for lunch.

I'll likely out about 3,500 miles or so on during the trip, assuming all goes anywhere close to plans.

It seems like it's been a very long winter. I'm anxious to hit the road!

-Jeff
    Thanks for the motorcycleroads.com website reference, thats very useful.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned, enjoy!

C

Colorado and Utah trip

Jeff,

Sounds like you have some experience with cold weather. I also have heated gear and I always have the jacket liner in the bike. Even in the mid fifties riding with the heated jacket liner on low feels so good. As I said I have ridden this area in early May on several occasions. I have a weather app on my phone and just check it frequently and try to stay flexible.

If you are interested in the route from LaSal Junction in Utah to Cortez the highway numbers are: Utah-46 east which becomes Co-90 and then Co-145 south to Cortez. Co-145 is also part of the San Juan Skyway but if you run the Skyway in a clockwise direction which I prefer you will be traveling Co-145 in the opposite direction which makes it seem like an entirely different route.

Enjoy your ride
    Az wingrider

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    Jeff,

Sounds like you have some experience with cold weather. I also have heated gear and I always have the jacket liner in the bike. Even in the mid fifties riding with the heated jacket liner on low feels so good. As I said I have ridden this area in early May on several occasions. I have a weather app on my phone and just check it frequently and try to stay flexible.

If you are interested in the route from LaSal Junction in Utah to Cortez the highway numbers are: Utah-46 east which becomes Co-90 and then Co-145 south to Cortez. Co-145 is also part of the San Juan Skyway but if you run the Skyway in a clockwise direction which I prefer you will be traveling Co-145 in the opposite direction which makes it seem like an entirely different route.

Enjoy your ride
    Az wingrider

Az Wingrider,
    What weather app do you use? I really should download something better than what comes standard on my iPhone...

Thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by copper View Post
    Thanks for the motorcycleroads.com website reference, thats very useful.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned, enjoy!

C
    Thanks, Copper. Motorcycle roads.com is a great resource. I've used it in planning every trip over the last few years.

Colorado and Utah

Jeff,

I use Weather Bug. I have an Android phone and I assume it works as well with an I phone. I like Weather Bug because it shows lightning strikes and seems to be really current. also it is a free app. I usually check the weather first thing in the morning and then don't worry about it unless things begin to look threatening.

Have fun
    Az wingrider

Snow on the forecast

It looks like I'll have to completely alter the start of my ride this Friday afternoon and Saturday to avoid the Rockies. It doesn't look like there is a way to avoid the forecast of snow, up to 6", unless I head south from Omaha, then west to Albuquerque before heading north to Cortez, Colorado on Sunday to start the planned rides of the trip. I'll probably spend a good portion of the first 2 days riding in the cold rain, but it beats getting stuck in a snow storm!
    All this might change again before I leave Friday afternoon. Gotta love late Spring storms!

-Jeff

Snowed In!!

I decided to chance it and try to make it from Omaha to Albuquerque today, then planned to cut up to Cortez, CO tomorrow. That didn't work out... I got about 30 miles east of Moriarty, NM and the rain turned to whiteout snow conditions. It never let up and the snow began accumulations on I-40 a bit. I made it to Moriarty and found a hotel. It looks like I'll be stuck here through Sunday as the snow is expected to continue tomorrow.

Safe travels,
    Jeff