Colorado and Utah April 28-May 6 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colorado and Utah April 28-May 6

Quote Originally Posted by Necanefan View Post
    I decided to chance it and try to make it from Omaha to Albuquerque today, then planned to cut up to Cortez, CO tomorrow. That didn't work out... I got about 30 miles east of Moriarty, NM and the rain turned to whiteout snow conditions. It never let up and the snow began accumulations on I-40 a bit. I made it to Moriarty and found a hotel. It looks like I'll be stuck here through Sunday as the snow is expected to continue tomorrow.

Safe travels,
    Jeff
    That's quite a haul, and gutsy to boot! Good luck and be safe!

Mike

Good luck on the trip. Seems kinda early in the season, to be going for a long cruise thru the Rocky Mtns. I got a trip planned, but not leaving until early June. I figure I still may find some snow up in the high ground. Ride safe!: yes:

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Good luck on the trip. Seems kinda early in the season, to be going for a long cruise thru the Rocky Mtns. I got a trip planned, but not leaving until early June. I figure I still may find some snow up in the high ground. Ride safe!: yes:
    I am a month or so early... The snow has stopped and the majority of the 8" has melted. I should be good to roll again tomorrow. It looks like the rest of the trip has clear and warmer weather (at least that is the current outlook). This is the week that worked best for my work schedule and family plans this year. Rough start, but riding 800+ miles yesterday put me ahead of schedule, so losing a day to snow won't throw me off. If I could have made it another 75-100 miles, west of Albuquerque, I would have been ok. I knew the storm was coming, I just gambled on getting around it. And lost.

I like riding the mountains with snow around; just not on the roads. Those miles on I-40 in whiteout conditions were the sketchiest I've ever been in. The windscreen was frozen and covered in snow. I was as worried about getting off an exit ramp covered in untraveled snow as I was on the highway. Not recommended travel conditions... I'm glad I found a hotel room as the first two I stopped at on the exit were overrun with people looking for rooms who were also forced off the highway.

I've hit the reset button. My trip starts anew tomorrow! Nothing but blue skies and great memories ahead.

-Jeff

good luck...safe travels..thanks for sharing your travels..interesting stuff

The roads were clear this morning, so I got an early start. I rode from Moriarty, NM west to Gallup, then north to Cortez, CO. After a quick lunch, I rode out to see the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde National Park. For some reason, I can't post pictures on this forum right now (uploads fail), but I'll try to share some pics when I can. Tomorrow I'll take the ride from Mexican Hat, UT to Bryce Canyon then on to Panguitch for the night.

Great Trip!

The weather for the remaining 7 days of the trip was absolutely perfect. The F6B, expectedly, performed flawlessly. I rode many beautiful roads in Utah and Colorado before heading back home to Nebraska. I caught Bryce Canyon as the sun rose for some great pictures. I also rode: Capitol Reef National Park, Zion National Park, San Juan Parkway, Four Corners Monument and Mesa Verde National Park. It was a trip of a lifetime. 3,500 miles of pure bliss!
    The Russell Day Long Seat and the Madstad windscreen allow as many miles as you care to ride without a minute of discomfort.