Rivco LED-115 LED Headlights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rivco LED-115 LED Headlights

Rivco LED-115 LED Headlights

Last summer I added the SoCal LED turn signals. They provided a nice bright white driving light to improve visibility. http://www.socalmotogear.com/GL1800-...t-p/g18tck.htm

It's a great product, but they made the stock headlight bulbs look brown as you can clearly see in the first picture. You can also see a comparison of the new LED vs the stock lamps.

Last year, at Americade in Lake George NY, Rivco was promoting an LED headlight bulb but didn't have one to fit the Goldwing/F6B at that time. Well, now they do. I picked up a set for the low beams and have another set on back order for the high beams.
    http://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-mot...-low-beam.html

The second and third picture show the Rivco lights installed. As a not, the flood lights are the Honda OEMs.

The fourth picture shows the light pattern of the stock low beam headlights against the garage door from about 25 feet out.

The fifth picture shows the new Rivco LEDs from the same distance.

The install was a bit tricky as I hadn't taken the dash board / center console out before. It is certainly a DIY if you have any basic mechanical skills.

After taking a ride on some dark back roads this morning, I'd say that I am happy with them. The light beams not as pronounced as the stock bulb, but they do put out quite a bit of light.

Turning the stock high beams on, still project out further as expected. With these LED bulbs in the high beam sockets as well, I'd say that I'd be good to go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by SPGrenier View Post
    The fourth picture shows the light pattern of the stock low beam headlights against the garage door from about 25 feet out.

The fifth picture shows the new Rivco LEDs from the same distance.
    The loss of a definitive cut-off is pretty typical for both HID and LED replacement bulbs. In my own case, beam pattern control was the worst with HID's and acceptable with LED's. Your color match with the turn signal switchbacks looks pretty good too.

I have a couple of questions for you...first, was a spacer supplied in the kit so that the retaining spring could properly secure the bulb? And second, do you use the stock rubber boot to seal the opening?
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    The loss of a definitive cut-off is pretty typical for both HID and LED replacement bulbs. In my own case, beam pattern control was the worst with HID's and acceptable with LED's. Your color match with the turn signal switchbacks looks pretty good too.

I have a couple of questions for you...first, was a spacer supplied in the kit so that the retaining spring could properly secure the bulb? And second, do you use the stock rubber boot to seal the opening?
    If you look at the product page on Rivco's wesite, you can see that the bulb actually has a small fan at it's base. The bulb and fan unit are all one piece. The factory bulb adapter is re-used basically as a connector.

You can see in the instructions that the connector at Picture 3B goes into the OEM adapter which then plugs into the bike's power. http://rivcoproducts.com/instruction...truct_3-16.pdf

The wire retainer is removed in the install and replaced by a spring clip that holds the unit in place. You can see it in 4A of the instructions. I will say that I did bend that spring clip a bit more to create a little more tension. I'm not sure I had to but it didn't hurt anything.

You can also see that the rubber boot is use to seal this unit into the head light fixture. See 3A
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From what I see there, it appears the stock retaining spring is replaced by a different spring but you do get to re-use the stock rubber sealing boot. Do I have that about right? If so, I would say Rivco has really thought through this and supplied all the necessary parts to make it work properly. If the claim of 3600 lumens is accurate, light output down-the-road should be more than adequate. Due to the vague cut-off, you may need to lower the beam to keep oncoming traffic from flashing their lights at you.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    From what I see there, it appears the stock retaining spring is replaced by a different spring but you do get to re-use the stock rubber sealing boot. Do I have that about right? If so, I would say Rivco has really thought through this and supplied all the necessary parts to make it work properly. If the claim of 3600 lumens is accurate, light output down-the-road should be more than adequate. Due to the vague cut-off, you may need to lower the beam to keep oncoming traffic from flashing their lights at you.
    Yes you have it right. You re-use the rubber boot and the bulb adapter.

The stock retaining wire is removed and is replaced by that metal strip which provides the spring tension on the outside of the rubber boot. The stock wire/spring is under the rubber boot and wouldn't work in this application.

i just came back from a motorcycle rally in Laconia NH. The lighted road area is just fine and I didn't get anyone flashing their high beams at me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

High beam ?

And so they don't have a high beam set yet ?

Edit: should have read on....seems these are for both hi and low

Socal Motogear has high and low beam LEDs in. No fan at the base, but a passive heat sink. Install is pretty straightforward unless you drop the adapter ring down into the fairing. I installed hi/low beams and the fog light/turn signals.

Way brighter than stock- and the high beams...well, Lets just say you can't use them in traffic.

IMG_20160307_121706.jpg

Even in daylight the SoCal high beams are really freaking bright.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Noise?

Any fan noise detectable thru the audio system....in say am radio listening? This is the first I've heard of fans over the heat sinks as flat6addict noted...sounds like a good idea but then maybe something to eventually fail before the LEDs