Vancouver,BC-La Grande, OR-Wells,NV-Las Vegas May 15-17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver,BC-La Grande, OR-Wells,NV-Las Vegas May 15-17

Vancouver,BC-La Grande, OR-Wells,NV-Las Vegas May 15-17

This is my route from BC to Las Vegas, May 15-17. No decision yet for the return route.

Anyone have any recommended restaurants, or stops along the way, let me know. Accommodations are already booked for those stops.

Thanks,
    C

You're likely heading south on highway 93 after departing Wells? Did that route northbound out of Las Vegas in mid-August last summer. It was crazy hot. Had a camelback which is really helpful if you don't mind sipping warm gatorade to keep rolling. Take advantage of the few rest stops with trees for shade and carry more water/gatorade than you think you'll need. In Oregon, downtown Baker City is pretty cool if you have the time to stop but really, the great riding area in eastern Oregon is around the Snake River (Hell's Canyon). I'm sure the PNW guys will have some other thoughts about that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    You're likely heading south on highway 93 after departing Wells? Did that route northbound out of Las Vegas in mid-August last summer. It was crazy hot. Had a camelback which is really helpful if you don't mind sipping warm gatorade to keep rolling. Take advantage of the few rest stops with trees for shade and carry more water/gatorade than you think you'll need. In Oregon, downtown Baker City is pretty cool if you have the time to stop but really, the great riding area in eastern Oregon is around the Snake River (Hell's Canyon). I'm sure the PNW guys will have some other thoughts about that.
    Thanks for the tips. Baker City is known for it's bikefest in July, & I am thinking of heading that way if I don't have anything else going on.

Don't think its going to be as hot in May as it was for you in August...hopefully we'll have a stop for fun or food in Baker City!

C

I'll be heading down to the rally in July with a VTX1800 and Vic Cross Country rider, after which we'll be heading to McMinnville to see the air museum. From there south and westward to the coast before cutting east to see Mt. St. Helen's before rolling northward. Plan to cross at near Osoyoos and then work our way home though the Kootenays. Accommodation is really hard to find in Baker City at rally time but if you do make it down keep me posted! Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    I'll be heading down to the rally in July with a VTX1800 and Vic Cross Country rider, after which we'll be heading to McMinnville to see the air museum. From there south and westward to the coast before cutting east to see Mt. St. Helen's before rolling northward. Plan to cross at near Osoyoos and then work our way home though the Kootenays. Accommodation is really hard to find in Baker City at rally time but if you do make it down keep me posted! Cheers.
    That air museum in McMinnville is FAN-TAS-TIC! (Spruce Goose, ME262, SR71 Blackbird, just to name a few....awesome!) Definitely worth the visit to any air enthusiast. Hope you enjoy it.

As for Baker City, I've recently picked up a camper trailer, so I may try it out there....throw up a thread in the event forum, & we'll keep track of you.

Quote Originally Posted by copper View Post
    This is my route from BC to Las Vegas, May 15-17. No decision yet for the return route.

Anyone have any recommended restaurants, or stops along the way, let me know. Accommodations are already booked for those stops.

Thanks,
    C
    You are probably on the road by now, but I wanted to pass on you'll most likely be riding in rain south (with a few breaks along 84) until Ely, NV. I just did that route. There's not a helluva lot in the way of recommended places to eat (maybe the Stage Stop in Boise) along the way if you're deadheading. I say shop for groceries and make your own......84/93 nice bike road though.....happy trails.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    You are probably on the road by now, but I wanted to pass on you'll most likely be riding in rain south (with a few breaks along 84) until Ely, NV. I just did that route. There's not a helluva lot in the way of recommended places to eat (maybe the Stage Stop in Boise) along the way if you're deadheading. I say shop for groceries and make your own......84/93 nice bike road though.....happy trails.
    Just arrived in Wells, NV, overnighting here, on to Las Vegas tomorrow.

We hit a few showers along the way, got really wet in Boise.

The route from Wells to Vegas does look pretty barren, expect to make fuel stops in Ely & Crystal Springs.

Thanks for the tips!

C.

The route from Wells to Vegas does look pretty barren, expect to make fuel stops in Ely & Crystal Springs.

Thanks for the tips!

C.
    I think the longest between fuel and food on 93 is around 100+ miles, so top up when you can and you'll be fine. Overnight lows last week were around 34-38 and daytime highs were around 54-60 with scattered showers. The weather has not been ideal but nicer than the PNW.

edit: spoke too soon.
    https://www.google.org/publicalerts/...source=maps-sp

Thanks for the tips!

C.
    Hey Copper,
    I'm doing a border to border run on Saturday and will be heading north on 93. If you don't mind...can you give me some quick impressions of that route between Vegas and Wells? Looks like a whole lot of nothing, but any surprises?

Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by DTOM View Post
    Hey Copper,
    I'm doing a border to border run on Saturday and will be heading north on 93. If you don't mind...can you give me some quick impressions of that route between Vegas and Wells? Looks like a whole lot of nothing, but any surprises?

Thanks!
    As mentioned above, there are no fuel stops (for you, northbound) between Ash Springs and Wells, NV. It's a beautiful run, with expansive views going up that Ruby Mtn range.

I passed more than more than one Nevada State Trooper doing 80 mph in a 70 mph zone, & they didn't even bat an eye. Closer to 90 sometimes.

Anyway, It was near freezing when we left Wells, NV, & came out at Ash Springs at near 85-90*F. Had to strip off several layers before we rode into Vegas.

No surprises that I can think of. Wells is 5700 ft above sea level, so take that into account.

C