I95 from Florida to DC

Thread: I95 from Florida to DC

I95 from Florida to DC

Considering coming home from Florida on I95 to DC then over to Ohio. Don't care about scenic roads and curves. Just want to nail it and fly home. Never been this route. What is to be expected? It's just under 1200 miles so I figure it would be a two day ride stopping south of DC.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

I assume you're not taking the 77 because you have done it many times before.

I went from Daytona to Philly in one day.
    Just over 1000 miles.
    Been up and down that run more than 10 times.

Florida is easy.
    Georgia sets speed traps at mile marker 8.
    Boring as all hell until you get to Richmond. Then I recommend looping the 295 around. Downtown Richmond traffic/construction can stop traffic at strange hours.
    Starting at Frederick, MD, the DC traffic starts making a mess of things.
    Do NOT get near DC between 06 and 1000, and 1400-1900.
    Then the 270-70-76 to get to Ohio?

Speeds: Traffic flows 75-80 all the way, except Georgia and speed zones in SC. VA troopers have an attitude towards bikes.
    If there's an accident, traffic backs up for tens of miles. Shoulder to nearest exit, food time.

It can also have it's own weather system in certain parts.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

From Richmond to DC can suck big nastiness. Stop and go like crazy. Agree, go around Richmond. I have been stuck in the DC approach a few times. Navigation ended up taking me off and on 95 several times in VA.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Quote Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
    From Richmond to DC can suck big nastiness. Stop and go like crazy. Agree, go around Richmond. I have been stuck in the DC approach a few times. Navigation ended up taking me off and on 95 several times in VA.
    Depending what time of day you are coming into DC, from 295 out of Richmond I would jump onto 301 and then cross back over once into Charles Co MD and head to DC by Indian Head Highway. It's less traffic on that part of 301 and takes you into DC against traffic depending on the time of day.

I live in NC. and Daughter and family is in Palm Beach Gardens---Sister in law and friends in Palm Bay, Fl---Father in Jacksonville and Bike week is Daytona. I make a trip to Richmond 2 times a year--every year. I ride it a lot! The absolute worst part is between the Ga/SC line and Florence, SC. If a dog is squatting on the side of the road you can creep at 10-25 mph for a half hour and if there is an actual accident-------Well, You can fill in the blanks from there. Personally, I would do the 1-75 thru Ga then 77 (I think) going north. A lot less stressful--JMHO of course.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]