EK Mount

Thread: EK Mount

EK Mount

Was wondering if anyone's got the EK GPS mount ? They are crazy expensive but I'm thinking of maybe going that route. Had my ram ball (the one that attaches to the front brake bolts on the bar) mounted for about one minute , then abruptly removed. I'm not doing that to my newly found love... I'm just not going there. I need it mounted a little lower & tucked in. That and I'm a little concerned with bar vibration . Mounting mid way up where the bar rises sounds like a better solution.

GPS Mounting

I have my Garmin (Car version) mounted in a waterproof case I picked up at Twisted Throttle (http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/sw-mot...-weather-black) for under $40.00 cdn, mounted to my RAM mount on the left side of the handle bar mounted to the brake stay. No vibrations. I agree, it's a little closer than I'd like but it's an easy reach for my left hand to the controls to zoom in or out or set up a search. I find reaching down to the mid dash to activate the info button to learn the outside temp reading is distracting and a long way from the left side of the handle bar should an emergency arise. Try riding with it before you dismiss it out of hand.

GPS mount

Copy Bigcityd , thanks for the insight ..

I use a factory re-build Tom Tom car version, I got for $70 off ebay. Mount with a cheap (ebay) so called water proof, one size fits all, case. I use a ram ball & lock. I figure if they steal it I'm out less than $100. I turn it up loud & can hear it w/ a full face helmet. It has blue tooth if I want to use a helmet set. Seems to work okay.
    The other side is, my buddy, who's been riding all over the country for decades, says, "getting lost in the boonies is a fun ride. You never know who you'll meet or where you'll end up." I've never seen him look at a map & he doesn't have a cell.

Cool

Do a search of GPS mounts here and see what others have done...many options some $ some $$$$.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I mounted the Ram ball on the left handlebar arm about 3 inches down from the end of the bar. I use a 3 inch ram extension which holds my Garmin Monterra. The Monterra is a handheld and while not completely waterproof you can drop it in a puddle and retrieve it with no issues. The Monterra has gotten me cross country 3 times with no issues. I have the latest maps installed and always add custom POI's for my trips. It is right in the position where I can rest my hand on the brake reservoir and manipulate the buttons, although it is safer to stop. I have the mount hard wired and this GPS has a battery that will run for about 6 hours before needing charged. It will also run for a few days on 3 AA batteries.

About 6-7 years ago I was in the hills of Kentucky and had a front valve stem failure. I could inflate the tire and ride about 20 miles before stopping to re-inflate. One time I blew a fuse and their went my GPS too. I made it to a convenient store where I purchase AA batteries then to to next town where I was able to get a new stem installed. I like the double battery backup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

EK mount

Well, the other day called Eloctro Kinetics to order a Goldwing GPS mount. The guy said "are you looking for a left or right mount", told him left. He told me I was in luck because they were out of rights and only had one left in stock. Seems they stopped making them a while back and slowly selling off inventory.