Highest odo reading? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Highest odo reading?

So much anger Bob! Yes maybe riding will help. I don't profess to be anything except a person who loves my bikes, riding and talking about those two things. Twice now you have referred to the short time I've been here. I did not know we had a pecking order according to ones seniority. Can we just get back to talking about high mileage odos? If you are not having fun you are doing it wrong.

Paradox ala Pirsig

This strikes me as the dichotomy of which Mr. Pirsig spoke. Classic vs. Romantic. From the romantic side, we find much more fulfillment in the spoils of the journey than what it might take to complete it. From the classic side, things like fuel economy, oil longevity, chain tension and such are integral to the enjoyment of the same journey. Some might even say critical to it. Same path, different perspectives.

So I guess now we should refrain from discussions about oil preferences, tires, fuel types, because they are just a means to an end? Just because they do not directly relate to what we ate along the way? Because of their innate irrelevance? Some people, frankly, deeply enjoy all of the technical aspects of motorcycle ownership. I happen to be one.

Oh, and I mention my odo last because it is a little embarrassing. Purchased a 13 in 14, and still have yet to break 10k. Not that this is important particularly, but out of respect and deference to the OP...

"dichotomy" Now that word I had to look up. Thanks, enjoyed your post and learned a new word.

Gonna add some more today, methinks...

Just finished with three days of teaching 11 riders at the HD Riding Academy here in Pensacola.
    Isleen had to sit all day for three days in the HD parking lot. She grew VERY tired of that nonsense.
    I was incredibly fatigued last night, but all the riders passed and everyone went away tired and happy.

I think Isleen and I are going on a ride today up to Brewton, around to western Alabama somewhere and then back home.
    Never did just 'joy ride' in that area....should be fun. We'll see where she wants to go.

Recommend all y'all get out and enjoy the weather because this weekend - especially Sunday here - looks ominous.
    I'll have to find a dry place to hole up!

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Well 195 VBS is high with 78K on a F6B but no longer accumulating miles. Maybe the person he sold it to will become a member and we can still see the 100K milestone crossed soon. Like the title says it is highest odo reading not how many miles you have done. It is about the bike not the Rider. Looks like many have over the 50K mark and at least one will be at the rally in PF. Yep!
    I got the prepaid maintenance so I'm sure this isn't a complete list. I take her to Cycle World and I pick her up.

I'm on my fourth set of tires. First two sets were Stones. Now I have The E4s.

Third air cleaner. Had an incident with a rat's nest about a year ago.

MANY headlight bulbs.

Front wheel bearings

Steering head bearings

I'm on my third battery.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    I got the prepaid maintenance so I'm sure this isn't a complete list. I take her to Cycle World and I pick her up.

MANY headlight bulbs.

Front wheel bearings

Steering head bearings

I'm on my third battery.

You are at just over 60 right? Surprised you had two sets of bearing problems. More convincing that I will get the extended warranty next year. Tires, batteries, bulbs, filters I consider consumables like oil and gas. What you gonna do about rats, some got in my SUV last year, put out poison and something ate a bunch of it and I quit seeing the vermin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    I must say after 58 years of riding, since 1961, and some half a million plus miles I don't need badges or bragging rights.
    Sorry, but that is too funny!
    Albuquerque, NM

Only 39K

I just turned over 39,000 on mine last weekend. I can't ride today because it's snowing here in Colorado!

I also have two old Valkyries. One has over 97,000 miles, and the other is over 174,000. These Honda flat sixes last nearly forever.

Air cleaner

Is that the first time you had to replace the air cleaner? I think I'm on my third.

Yes I was amazed how clean it still was.

MANY headlight bulbs.

Front wheel bearings

Steering head bearings

I'm on my third battery.
    Most of what you listed is normal, but "many headlight bulbs" and "3 batteries" is not. You might want to have someone else check out your electrical system.
    I'd start with the power coming out of your headlight socket and maybe the output of your alternator. Knowing your odo your bike doesn't sit around long enough to kill batteries and bulbs unless they are faulty to start. Maybe there's too much power going to the light and thus blowing the bulbs. Then again maybe it's just one of those southern belle accessory you might have added like an electric hair dryer or window air conditioner.