DIY Back Rest Extension

Thread: DIY Back Rest Extension

DIY Back Rest Extension

So the other night I take the GF up to Ponder, Texas to the Ranchmans Cafe for some greasy protein....i.e....steaks. With just the stock midget shield and the "back" rest which is really a pelvic rest, after going about 60 miles we get there and we needed a hot tub and a rub down. Her back is wasted having fought the wind due to the midget stock no-shield. So this morning I hit Lowe's and figured I could make an extension for a less than the one that some Honda dealer sells for $150. Bought a piece of 6"x18"x 1/16" steel sheet. Took the bracket that holds the back rest to the base unit and decided to lay it out on the steel plate. Cut the plate to 3.5 inches wide x 18" and then cut that piece in half to make it 3.5 x 9 inches. Then took those two pieces, put them together, and put the bracket on the bottom. That gave me a piece a bit over 1/8" thick which is thicker than the stock bracket. Put it in the vice and drilled for holes for the back rest up top and 4 holes at the bottom for the stock bracket. It raised the back rest 5 inches and now it hits close to the middle of the back and she's got some relief and can sit back there and relax. I could have made it even higher after putting it on since the 1/8" steel extension is rock solid. After the next outing, we'll see what she has to say about the position on her back and I can go higher if needed. If this one works, I'll get it powder-coated. Bought a set of 4 6mm bolts, lock washers and nuts to attach the original bracket to the extension. Total cost for the extension was about $9.00 and maybe one hour of my time at work today. Thought I'd pass this along if your passengers are needing some relief. Mine did. I'll get some photos up if anyone's interested in a look/see.

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    So the other night I take the GF up to Ponder, Texas to the Ranchmans Cafe for some greasy protein....i.e....steaks. With just the stock midget shield and the "back" rest which is really a pelvic rest, after going about 60 miles we get there and we needed a hot tub and a rub down. Her back is wasted having fought the wind due to the midget stock no-shield. So this morning I hit Lowe's and figured I could make an extension for a less than the one that some Honda dealer sells for $150. Bought a piece of 6"x18"x 1/16" steel sheet. Took the bracket that holds the back rest to the base unit and decided to lay it out on the steel plate. Cut the plate to 3.5 inches wide x 18" and then cut that piece in half to make it 3.5 x 9 inches. Then took those two pieces, put them together, and put the bracket on the bottom. That gave me a piece a bit over 1/8" thick which is thicker than the stock bracket. Put it in the vice and drilled for holes for the back rest up top and 4 holes at the bottom for the stock bracket. It raised the back rest 5 inches and now it hits close to the middle of the back and she's got some relief and can sit back there and relax. I could have made it even higher after putting it on since the 1/8" steel extension is rock solid. After the next outing, we'll see what she has to say about the position on her back and I can go higher if needed. If this one works, I'll get it powder-coated. Bought a set of 4 6mm bolts, lock washers and nuts to attach the original bracket to the extension. Total cost for the extension was about $9.00 and maybe one hour of my time at work today. Thought I'd pass this along if your passengers are needing some relief. Mine did. I'll get some photos up if anyone's interested in a look/see.

Nicely done! My other half could not stand the stock dwarf back rest, I'm lucky my bike came with the extended back rest.

C

Good job! Now hit it with some Plastidip spray to finish it for now...!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Might take a look at that stuff. I've got some Flex Seal at work. I tried some on a sheet of aluminum. It is tough as nails and hardly comes off scraping it with a flat blade screwdriver. Worked on my building's roof patching some a/c curb leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    My wife complained about the backrest as well. I didn't even think to make my own, but I found this for $45. Works like a champ. So if you don't have the time, inclination, tools, or whatever...this is the ticket.
    https://ultimateseats.ca/honda-motor...ats/18140-D-BO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ The $15 shipping part is what kills me. Think I'm gonna look at making one or going by my local welding shop and giving them the measurements.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

The Ultimate goes up 3 inches and the one I made goes up 5 inches. I could have gone higher but one must take into account that the steel extension I used is probably stronger than the cast aluminum base so I didn't go any higher if the passenger decides to push back like a sumo wrestler and have issues with the base. Just sayin'...............