new Yamaha Transcontinental Touring - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: new Yamaha Transcontinental Touring

It's kind of weird check out the brake pedal on the right side looks like the same as the gear shifter??? I will have to test drive one just because but really air cooled and belt drive are a real downer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I don't think that Yamaha is trying to compete with the Goldwing or BMW at all...The market for large touring rigs these days seems to dominated by big air-cooled V-Twins with belt drive...Indian, Victory, (before its demise), Harley and other model Yamaha's all fall in that category and they sell very well....The GW and F6B are in a market by themselves for those of us that prefer smoothness and power with shaft drives, etc. Look at the sales numbers for Touring rigs in the US market and one will see it is clearly filled will air-cooled, V-twin bikes for the most part....Hope Honda does something soon with the GW, F6B, and other touring/bagger type bikes......The price on the new Yammie is way to high for me and the thing weighs almost 1/2 a ton!!!!....Ride safe
    Huh? Victory is no more, at least in part to declining sales, and Harley is also seeing declining sales in everything but their T-shirts!

I think this thing was in dev at Yamaha well before the recent decline, and no one had enough balls to pull the plug.

MSRP*
    $26,999 - Granite Gray - Transcontinental Option Package - Available from September 2017

$26,999 - Raspberry Metallic - Transcontinental Option Package - Available from September 20217

$24,999 - Granite Gray - Available from September 2017

$24,999 - Raspberry Metallic - Available from September 2017

Engine Type: 113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled OHV V-twin; 8 valves
    Bore x Stroke: 100.0mm x 118.0mm
    Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
    Fuel Delivery: Yamaha Fuel Injection with YCC-T and D-Mode
    Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
    Transmission: 6-speed; multiplate assist and slipper wet clutch
    Final Drive: Belt

Chassis
    Suspension / Front: 46mm telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
    Suspension / Rear: Single shock with remote preload adjustment; 4.3-in travel

Brakes / Front: Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm; Unified Brake System and ABS
    Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 320mm; Unified Brake System and ABS

Tires / Front: 130/70R18 BridgestoneŽ ExedraŽ
    Tires / Rear: 200/55R16 BridgestoneŽ ExedraŽ

L x W x H: 106.3 in x 39.9 in x 55.5 - 59.1 in

Seat Height: 27.4 in

Wheelbase: 67.6 in

Rake (Caster Angle): 31.0°

Trail: 5.7 in

Maximum Ground Clearance: 5.5 in

Fuel Capacity: 6.6 gal

Fuel Economy: 34.0 mpg

Wet Weight***
    Star Venture / Star Venture Transcontinental 957 lb / 963 lb

Warranty: 5 Year Warranty Coverage* -- *1 year limited factory warranty + 4 years Yamaha Extended Service = 5 years coverage.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Wont poach many sales from the Goldwing crowd. Clearly aimed at the V-twin segment. Too ME, it will be a quality bike, most of Yamaha's stuff is. The only V-twin I see myself on is the Ducati X-Diavel (Dreaming). The only way I would consider changing from the F6B is if Honda comes out with a faster, more powerful bagger....Very unlikely, I am happy with what I have.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

This new Yamaha bike is intriguing.

I love the looks - and it has all of the features that I wish my F6B had. This just made our bikes even more outdated.

This bike is clearly aimed at two machines ... the Indian Roadmaster and the Ultra Classic (or whatever HD calls their cruiser with the trunk) ... the looks and features are in direct competition ... plus the traction control, electric low speed reverse and forward feature.

If this bike handles and rides well, Yamaha may have hit one out of the park with this one.

I love the infotainment system - very up to date with great features.

There may be a high profit margin on this machine after the R & D for the infotainment system is paid off...the engine, ABS, cruise, traction control and electronic throttle were already in the parts bin. An air-cooled twin is a fairly inexpensive engine to manufacture.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post

I love the looks - and it has all of the features that I wish my F6B had. This just made our bikes even more outdated.

This bike is clearly aimed at two machines ... the Indian Roadmaster and the Ultra Classic (or whatever HD calls their cruiser with the trunk) ... the looks and features are in direct competition ... plus the traction control, electric low speed reverse and forward feature.

If this bike handles and rides well, Yamaha may have hit one out of the park with this one.

There may be a high profit margin on this machine after the R & D for the infotainment system is paid off...the engine, ABS, cruise, traction control and electronic throttle were already in the parts bin. An air-cooled twin is a fairly inexpensive engine to manufacture.

I don't see how an air cooled, 100 year old V-Twin technology can make a flat six liquid cooled engine seem outdated, especially with the ability of the vast aftermarket options. Does the Yamaha have the single swing arm for changing a tire or fixing a flat on the side of the road? And as far as ease of maintenance i.e. changing spark plugs, oil, oil filter. I don't see how the Yamaha excels in any of these areas,what's outdated on the "B".

It's a good looking bike and I'm just glad to see them stepping out with a new bike. Had they put some R&D into using an update V-4, I'd be a lot more interested in it though.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I'm with Jimmytee.
    Missed Opportunity there. That Vmax motor is a beast. Would have been a lot more competitive to a wing.

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post

I don't see how an air cooled, 100 year old V-Twin technology can make a flat six liquid cooled engine seem outdated, especially with the ability of the vast aftermarket options. Does the Yamaha have the single swing arm for changing a tire or fixing a flat on the side of the road? And as far as ease of maintenance i.e. changing spark plugs, oil, oil filter. I don't see how the Yamaha excels in any of these areas,what's outdated on the "B".
    No Bluetooth
    No push button start
    No remote release bags/trunk
    No ABS (US)
    No Cruise (2013, 14...I'm bitter)
    No Trip Computer
    No Satellite Radio
    No Traction Control

I'll argue that the engine is equivalent to my Honda's in terms of tech...not in cooling, but in multi-valve heads, electronic throttle control. The twin makes more torque, too.

Yamaha making what appears to be a great bike (TBD on the road) does not mean all the things we love about the F6B are no longer valid.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post

In all due respect my friend, you seem to find constant faults with your F6B and what it does not have. Maybe you should move on and trade for another Yamaha model and be much happier....Life is to short to "nit-pick" all the little shortcomings ..Ride the F6B and enjoy it for what it is, and does, not what it doesn't do...Please!!..Regards