new Yamaha Transcontinental Touring - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: new Yamaha Transcontinental Touring

Without knowing much about the bike, I like the looks of it if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    No Bluetooth
    No push button start
    No remote release bags/trunk
    No ABS (US)
    No Cruise (2013, 14...I'm bitter)
    No Trip Computer
    No Satellite Radio
    No Traction Control

I'll argue that the engine is equivalent to my Honda's in terms of tech...not in cooling, but in multi-valve heads, electronic throttle control. The twin makes more torque, too.

Yamaha making what appears to be a great bike (TBD on the road) does not mean all the things we love about the F6B are no longer valid.
    You're talking about bells and whistles, sure, they have the Goldwing for that but you can still get most of that outside of the ABS in the aftermarket. Cooling is major especially when you are beginning a new brand in 2017 and expecting to get longevity out of it. Eventually, I cannot see how any manufacturer is going avoid liquid cooling if they're going to survive but that's just my opinion.

No Bluetooth
    No push button start
    No remote release bags/trunk
    No ABS (US)
    No Cruise (2013, 14...I'm bitter)
    No Trip Computer
    No Satellite Radio
    No Traction Control

I'll argue that the engine is equivalent to my Honda's in terms of tech...not in cooling, but in multi-valve heads, electronic throttle control. The twin makes more torque, too.

Yamaha making what appears to be a great bike (TBD on the road) does not mean all the things we love about the F6B are no longer valid.
    The thing there is, you are comparing what is supposedly the new Flagship touring model from Yamaha to an F6B with your list of features that are not on your F6B.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Pretty much everything on your list would be there if you were comparing to the Loaded Gold Wing which is Honda's Touring flagship.

Granted, the new Yamaha there sports arguably updated electronics, but you are still trying to compare a 2018 Flagship model to a 13-14 F6B that was never intended to be Honda's flagship touring model, but a lighter dressed down Gold Wing.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    You're talking about bells and whistles, sure, they have the Goldwing for that but you can still get most of that outside of the ABS in the aftermarket. Cooling is major especially when you are beginning a new brand in 2017 and expecting to get longevity out of it. Eventually, I cannot see how any manufacturer is going avoid liquid cooling if they're going to survive but that's just my opinion.
    Yamaha has air-cooling figured out. I owned two of them (1100s). Those are 100,000 mile engines, though my expectations are higher than that. Strangely enough, the 1300 Deluxe, an entry level cruiser-tourer, costs half as much and has liquid cooling.

My opinion too. Apparently, their market research shows air cooling as a factor in purchasing is enough of a factor in this consumer group to make the decision to go with it. Makes no sense to me, embracing retro mechanical tech with no advantage over water cooled counterparts. It is like a group of new car buyers demanding carburetors instead of fuel injection.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    The thing there is, you are comparing what is supposedly the new Flagship touring model from Yamaha to an F6B with your list of features that are not on your F6B.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Pretty much everything on your list would be there if you were comparing to the Loaded Gold Wing which is Honda's Touring flagship.

Granted, the new Yamaha there sports arguably updated electronics, but you are still trying to compare a 2018 Flagship model to a 13-14 F6B that was never intended to be Honda's flagship touring model, but a lighter dressed down Gold Wing.
    I accept that the comparison is not a direct one, but the Indian Chieftain (starting as a 2014 model) is a F6B competitor and has all those things listed above, minus traction control.

Loaded Gold Wing is missing Bluetooth, traction control, push button start...and is priced thousands higher than this new Yamaha...but, it is an outdated machine. Still a great machine, but long in the tooth.

Beyond the above...

Some folks are awfully sensitive about their motorcycles, a manufactured product for profit made by the thousands in a factory...can't say anything critical about them. Any product has strengths and weaknesses, both are part of the honest conversation on forums like this, in my opinion.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I'd have one in a minute if I were looking for another touring bike. C'mon Honda. This Yamaha beauty shows just how antiquated the Goldwing platform has become.
    MO..
    Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

I accept that the comparison is not a direct one, but the Indian Chieftain (starting as a 2014 model) is a F6B competitor and has all those things listed above, minus traction control.

Loaded Gold Wing is missing Bluetooth, traction control, push button start...and is priced thousands higher than this new Yamaha...but, it is an outdated machine. Still a great machine, but long in the tooth.

Beyond the above...

Some folks are awfully sensitive about their motorcycles, a manufactured product for profit made by the thousands in a factory...can't say anything critical about them. Any product has strengths and weaknesses, both are part of the honest conversation on forums like this, in my opinion.
    That's just it. You're not being honest in your comparison. I point out that you shouldn't be comparing the F6B to the new Yamaha, but rather the loaded Gold Wing. Then you bring up the Indian Cheiftain.

You say the Loaded Gold Wing is thousands higher and sure sticker price for the loaded version with ABS and all the goodies from Honda is 29k compared to 27k for the loaded Yamaha. So there is a 2k difference in sticker price. I wonder which would have a better dicker price?

Then to top it off, since you brought up price, I paid 15k for my brand new F6B in 2014. I guess I knew it didn't have some features found in the Loaded Gold Wing and other bikes. Perhaps that was one of the reasons a $20k srp bike sold for 15k.

Like I said, that new Yamaha looks cool with some cool updated tech on board, but comparing a 2018 flagship touring bike to our F6Bs , just isn't the righteous comparison. That's my opinion.

Beyond the above...

I think you should run out and buy all the Yamaha stock you can afford, trade your F6B for a Yamaha, and join another board that praises and supports Yamaha!!!....Regards.....

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I think you should run out and buy all the Yamaha stock you can afford, trade your F6B for a Yamaha, and join another board that praises and supports Yamaha!!!....Regards.....
    If I were to be in the market now for a fully loaded touring bike I'd have to look at the Yamaha. Still, for that money, if I were going to consider a V-twin , I'd have to include Harley for the simple reason of the tons of available accessories.

I would still be inclined to wait until Honda announces it's 2018 lineup before pulling any triggers.

But alas, my F6B is rocking , LITERALLY . See you in the twisties

Ha! Take a look at MANY comments on the Roadliner forums. They are not too thrilled with their new 1/2 ton beast. My own tastes? It's ok if you are into v-twins, but I've been there, and I graduated to the Flat 6! I do like the idea of a 6 speed tranny, but all the electronic gismos, they don't mean much to me, I don't use the radio, or any GPS, and I don't need a "couch" on the back. I like to hear the motor doing it's thing. JMO