PA Route 6

Thread: PA Route 6

PA Route 6

Yesterday was a perfect day for a ride. The temps started out in the low 70's and hit a high in the low 80's.

I've been thinking about a ride out PA's route 6 from Mt Cobb to the PA Grand Canyon for a few months now. So I thought why not. I haven't been out that way for some time now and I was wondering if it still had the same charm I remembered. Simply put, "YES" is the answer.

First of all the road conditions were great with only a few places measured in yards not miles that were not perfect. Most of it was like new asphalt. The road runs along and through a mountain range in places and down along the river in others. There is a constant change in elevations. Usually going up hills the road is broadened to 4 lanes allowing for the easy passing of slower traffic and enjoying the power of the 6 pulling up the long grades. The road is constantly weaving with long sweeping curves or the signage is warning of sharp snaking sections.

There are any number of pull offs to view scenic mountains, valleys, and the river, far below. Traveling this road reminded me of what America was like back in the 50's with quaint little towns and their huge Victorian houses to small business with everything from ice cream to BQ.
    Get out of town and see what seems like neverending woods covered mountains that provide logs for the local logging industry to farms providing cream for the ice and beef for the BQ. Sample sample is a good philosophy!

I know I'll be doing this ride again this year.

Wish I lived a little closer...me and you would be doing some miles!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Great Cycling Road

Have covered that route many times and I have to agree it's both scenic and a pleasure to ride. Use to visit a friend who owned the "Ox Yoke Inn/Motel in the Village of Gaines just west of the Grand Canyon of the East on Route 6. During the "Gas Fraking Craze" of a few years back the constant "heavy water tanker trucks" ruined many miles of Route 6. Today, with all the Pa. Gas Tax Money the road is beginning to return to its "greatness"

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Have covered that route many times and I have to agree it's both scenic and a pleasure to ride. Use to visit a friend who owned the "Ox Yoke Inn/Motel in the Village of Gaines just west of the Grand Canyon of the East on Route 6. During the "Gas Fraking Craze" of a few years back the constant "heavy water tanker trucks" ruined many miles of Route 6. Today, with all the Pa. Gas Tax Money the road is beginning to return to its "greatness"
    Bob you wouldn't believe the roads out there now. They must have used a lot of the tax revenue to repave them. As I said most of it was like brand new highway.
    The fraking industry must have moved on. I didn't see even one of their trucks the whole ride out or back. The truth be told I didn't see a whole lot of any kind of traffic the entire ride except for the never ending Mt. Cobb construction area. How long have they been working on that little 8 mile stretch of road? It has to be one of those time and material jobs.
    I had to look really hard to even notice the well heads that have been hidden by well planned landscaping. The only one I did noticed was from one of the overlooks that looked down onto a farm far below. I could see a well groomed area in the middle of a pasture with the well heads sticking up. From the looks of that picture perfect farm that farmer must have done quite well. Pun intended.

I'll definitely be doing that ride again in August, going out to see the Elks. Then again I might even be prodded to do it even sooner weather permitting.

Hey Bob, thanks for the road report. I have wanted to do that "Grand Canyon of PA" for years myself but just can't seem to get it together. I want to fit in a ride up to Watkins Glen to see the track while I am out there so it will be a 2 day ride for me.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Hey Bob, thanks for the road report. I have wanted to do that "Grand Canyon of PA" for years myself but just can't seem to get it together. I want to fit in a ride up to Watkins Glen to see the track while I am out there so it will be a 2 day ride for me.
    Hey Dan, just pick the days you want to go (errrr. just check the weather first) Then let me know. Right now I'm thinking the ride out to the Canyon and the Elk park planning for either the weekend of 8/19 or 8/26 (depending on the weather). I suppose we could add a side trip up to the Glen if we ride hard. It would definitely have to be a 2 dayer. I hear there's some wine tasting going on up there too.

Currently I'm thinking about going to Sturgis 8/2 thru 8/14 depending on the weather fronts. So hopefully I'll be gone during those days.

This weekend I'm going to Gettysburg for the rally and to see some of the national park.

Where the hell is this summer going already?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    Where the hell is this summer going already?

Just flyin by,,,,,
    I'll keep you posted on my plans. My shop dictates my life but it does fund my motorcycle obsession so I can't complain too much.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.