Dark Side 7.1.17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Side 7.1.17

Dark Side 7.1.17

I know there have been many posts on this subject. I just wanted to get an up to date consensuses and we all love to shoot the bull anyway or we would not be on this forum. Please no comments from those that have never or would never put a Dark Side tire on their bike.

Maybe we can put a general Dark Side sticky together that will answer most questions. Similar to Steve's new owners page?????

I am considering going Dark Side and have a few questions. I have a spare rim so I wont be fully committed if I don't like it or I can use it only on long trips to save my motorcycle tire.

If you could vote on these questions????

What is the current best tire to buy?
    Do you use the run flats?
    Will a motorcycle dealer mount the Dark Side tire?
    How does it handle compared to a motorcycle tire?
    Is it better or worse in the twisities?
    Is it better at high speed on the highway?
    Is it better or worse in the rain?
    Is there more or less tire noise?
    Do you run Dark Side on both front and rear?
    Do you use it all the time or just on long trips?
    What tire pressure do you use?

Please add any other comments you may have related to the Dark Side?

Thank you in advance,

Steve

There's already a dozens or so threads on "the dark side." You might want to check them out. It's going to depend who answers you question. Dark siders will tell you it's wonderful, those that use motorcycle tires will tell you it's dangerous. The only advantage I see to using a car tire on a motorcycle is tire mileage. You'll get about 3X the tire mileage, 45-60K miles, I guess. I get 16-18k on AVONs. I won't do it for safety reasons. I've followed 2 dark siders, when cornering the tire rides up on the narrow outside edge. Watching them, it looks to me like a little sand or whatever & you're a goner. I don't think dealerships will put a car tire on a motorcycle, I don't know of any MC shops, in my area, that will either, for legal reasons. I've "heard" that insurance co.'s have refused to pay for damage if you run a car tire. Check out all the other threads on treads.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I know there have been many posts on this subject. I just wanted to get an up to date consensuses and we all love to shoot the bull anyway or we would not be on this forum. Please no comments from those that have never or would never put a Dark Side tire on their bike.
    Maybe we can put a general Dark Side sticky together that will answer most questions. Similar to Steve's new owners page?????
    I am considering going Dark Side and have a few questions. I have a spare rim so I wont be fully committed if I don't like it or I can use it only on long trips to save my motorcycle tire.
    If you could vote on these questions????
    Please add any other comments you may have related to the Dark Side?
    Thank you in advance,Steve

Check out the "Dark Side" section here on this Forum. It is all the way down on the bottom of the main Forum page.
    That may answer some of your questions. BUT I don't think there is a definite answer to most your questions, so a sticky will not help someone on the fence get the info they need to make a decision.

Yes I run a car tire and have for over 50,000 miles on two different bikes.
    NO I did not do it for high mileage ( I typically get 18,000 out of mine) or a cheaper tire. If you really want the info just ask me or anyone that does run a CT...
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    Don't think there's a best. A lot has to do with what's available. Assymetric tread and uniform across the tread is what you want. Many tires are doing like a three pattern tread, no good for the scooter, cause the ride would change from left turn to right.

I've not tried a RF yet, but would next time for comparison, plus the added safety if I pick something up.

Damn unlikely a franchise dealer will mount it unless you tell him it's going on your trike. My local Indy mounted it no questions asked.

I noticed very little difference in handling, which surprised me. It does wallow around on roads that the tracks are sinking a bit.

I don't notice any significant difference in the twisties when aired up right. You won't scrape the pegs as easily tho.

I think it's great in the rain, and It's runs like a champ on the highway, in town, or the curves, no complaints.

I don't notice additional road noise, I'm only DS on the rear, and she's mounted on the only rim I have, so all the time.

I started at 40psi, upped it to 41, then settled on 42. She wallowed around if I dove into a corner at first. But at 42, it's minimal. Keep in mind, a RF doesn't need as much air, stiffer sidewalls. They run 4 ply, mine is 2 ply.

Google Darkside motorcycle on the web, good site for info there.

This is my first experience on the DS and was very apprehensive, but I had no choice due to my MC tire not showing up in time for a trip. I'd done previous research and was fairly comfortable, but still nervous. Damn glad I did it! Good luck!

Mike

Steve will not put up a static Darkside "sticky" page. He's anti-darkside.

...amd if he did do one, it would be heavily biased with his own disclaimers embedded...

Would not be a good source for someone whom is initially exploring/contemplating the Darkside.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I have a DS on a VTX 1800 with lots of miles, can't seem to wear it out. I'm not concerned with handling too much as it has a raked and extended front end and is terrible anyway. It looks really good on this semi custom bike. I will not put a CT on my F6B, the smoothness and flow it takes curves is not something I want to lose, I love it. The main advantage in a CT is long tread life although it is harder to spin off the line so maybe more traction on the straight-a-way. The biggest disadvantage is how you lean a little and nothing, then lean some more and wow a lot of turn. Not uniform and even like a round sided tire. I think this is easy to understand if you look at the edge compared to the even curve of a MT. I also believe you have to lean more to get the same turning effectiveness and I believe I have suffered more front tire wear, although nothing compared to what is saved on the rear. (on 3rd front to one rear CT.) You do get used to it and it is not nearly as noticeable after a while. I don't usually post in CT threads but you said only if you have tried it. Additionally I will not argue or debate about it this time, just relating my experience and opinion. Having two rims you are in an excellence position to give it a try, I sure don't think you will blow up or even endanger yourself or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Steve will not put up a static Darkside "sticky" page. He's anti-darkside.

...amd if he did do one, it would be heavily biased with his own disclaimers embedded...

Would not be a good source for someone whom is initially exploring/contemplating the Darkside.
    HUA!!!!
    Will, who is this "steve" you speak of?
    If me, for the record, I am NOT "anti-dark side."
    I just want more engineering data before I do it for myself, that's all. No bias.

To answer stevenolts queries, there is a whole DS forum section devoted to this.
    If y'all haven't answered his questions there, maybe it's time to do so.

Gimme a minute.....

There - y'all got you own sticky for the public pontifications for posterity.
    Have at it!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I put a General Gmax tire on my f6b. I will admit that I was a little nervous about it but after 100 miles or so I forgot all about it being a ct on the back.
    I installed the ct and loaded it on to my gooseneck trailer because we were going on a trip to the sand dunes in Rexburg Idaho and can't drive the truck and bike at the same time. Anyhow, the first ride on the bike was up over the mountains to Jackson Wyoming from Rexburg which is about 80 miles 1 way with my wife on the back. From there we went south and took a different route back. The only thing that I noticed about the ct is if the pavement was off camber a little bit it would tend to push the bike a little to the low side but only at low speed. If at highway speed there was none of that feeling, just nice smooth cruising.
    I think I am going to like the ct more and more.
    I never balanced it either and it ran as smooth if not smoother than the oem tire

As far as mileage goes? One of the best riders I've seen is Monk. He rides a full wing, darkside. He rides the Arkansas mtns, and is from the area. He has stated that he changes his darkside tires at about 5000 miles. This man rides hard. I'm just saying, mileage is all dependent on how you ride, where you ride, road conditions, etc. No two people are going to get the same mileage. There is more than just "tread depth" that is to consider, when it's time to change rubber. Sidewalls take tons of stress, in hard cornering, and don't show much wear at all. I have 2 spare wheels, one with a darkside and one with an oem tire. I like them both.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    There's already a dozens or so threads on "the dark side." You might want to check them out. It's going to depend who answers you question. Dark siders will tell you it's wonderful, those that use motorcycle tires will tell you it's dangerous. The only advantage I see to using a car tire on a motorcycle is tire mileage. You'll get about 3X the tire mileage, 45-60K miles, I guess. I get 16-18k on AVONs. I won't do it for safety reasons. I've followed 2 dark siders, when cornering the tire rides up on the narrow outside edge. Watching them, it looks to me like a little sand or whatever & you're a goner. I don't think dealerships will put a car tire on a motorcycle, I don't know of any MC shops, in my area, that will either, for legal reasons. I've "heard" that insurance co.'s have refused to pay for damage if you run a car tire. Check out all the other threads on treads.
    Sorry but most of what you have heard is

I had my local Honda dealership install two for me:
    As far as legal reasons: there are none
    Insurance companies, or at least mine has no concerns

True you will run into many opinions and some folks who still use the missionary position and refuse to try anything new.

For me, I prefer the runflats, I prefer snow tires( far better traction than any tire out there now)

I have offered my bike to anyone who wanted to try out the DS at the last rally held in Franklin and no one had the desire. IMHO if no one told you there was a CT on the back you may not even notice.
    I have a note to order another snow tire on my December calendar. Dunlop snow tire... perfect!
    P.S. there are many opinions and positions other than the same ole thang.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com