Dark Side 7.1.17

Thread: Dark Side 7.1.17

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Steve will not put up a static Darkside "sticky" page. He's anti-darkside.

...amd if he did do one, it would be heavily biased with his own disclaimers embedded...

Would not be a good source for someone whom is initially exploring/contemplating the Darkside.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I have a DS on a VTX 1800 with lots of miles, can't seem to wear it out. I'm not concerned with handling too much as it has a raked and extended front end and is terrible anyway. It looks really good on this semi custom bike. I will not put a CT on my F6B, the smoothness and flow it takes curves is not something I want to lose, I love it. The main advantage in a CT is long tread life although it is harder to spin off the line so maybe more traction on the straight-a-way. The biggest disadvantage is how you lean a little and nothing, then lean some more and wow a lot of turn. Not uniform and even like a round sided tire. I think this is easy to understand if you look at the edge compared to the even curve of a MT. I also believe you have to lean more to get the same turning effectiveness and I believe I have suffered more front tire wear, although nothing compared to what is saved on the rear. (on 3rd front to one rear CT.) You do get used to it and it is not nearly as noticeable after a while. I don't usually post in CT threads but you said only if you have tried it. Additionally I will not argue or debate about it this time, just relating my experience and opinion. Having two rims you are in an excellence position to give it a try, I sure don't think you will blow up or even endanger yourself or anyone else.

I put a General Gmax tire on my f6b. I will admit that I was a little nervous about it but after 100 miles or so I forgot all about it being a ct on the back.
    I installed the ct and loaded it on to my gooseneck trailer because we were going on a trip to the sand dunes in Rexburg Idaho and can't drive the truck and bike at the same time. Anyhow, the first ride on the bike was up over the mountains to Jackson Wyoming from Rexburg which is about 80 miles 1 way with my wife on the back. From there we went south and took a different route back. The only thing that I noticed about the ct is if the pavement was off camber a little bit it would tend to push the bike a little to the low side but only at low speed. If at highway speed there was none of that feeling, just nice smooth cruising.
    I think I am going to like the ct more and more.
    I never balanced it either and it ran as smooth if not smoother than the oem tire

As far as mileage goes? One of the best riders I've seen is Monk. He rides a full wing, darkside. He rides the Arkansas mtns, and is from the area. He has stated that he changes his darkside tires at about 5000 miles. This man rides hard. I'm just saying, mileage is all dependent on how you ride, where you ride, road conditions, etc. No two people are going to get the same mileage. There is more than just "tread depth" that is to consider, when it's time to change rubber. Sidewalls take tons of stress, in hard cornering, and don't show much wear at all. I have 2 spare wheels, one with a darkside and one with an oem tire. I like them both.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Steve will not put up a static Darkside "sticky" page. He's anti-darkside.

...amd if he did do one, it would be heavily biased with his own disclaimers embedded...

Would not be a good source for someone whom is initially exploring/contemplating the Darkside.
    HUA!!!!
    Will, who is this "steve" you speak of?
    If me, for the record, I am NOT "anti-dark side."
    I just want more engineering data before I do it for myself, that's all. No bias.

To answer stevenolts queries, there is a whole DS forum section devoted to this.
    If y'all haven't answered his questions there, maybe it's time to do so.

Gimme a minute.....

There - y'all got you own sticky for the public pontifications for posterity.
    Have at it!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce