Oshkosh WI EAA Airventure

Thread: Oshkosh WI EAA Airventure

Oshkosh WI EAA Airventure

Anyone going to the fly-inn and Airshow? Starts on Monday 7/24 through the week, ending on Saturday. Blue Angels will be on hand later in the week.

I have been going for the last twenty years or so, occasionally missing the event. I have taken the motorcycle about as many times as I have flown in. Wisconsin is a good ride, and they have Beer in Wisconsin, so it all works out. The event started off as a place homebuilders who were building airplanes via plans only...which was the only thing available at the time, to share safety tips and building techniques. As the gathering grew, the airshow became part of the event that now has over 3 hours of airshows by the big name performers every day.

If you like airplanes, especially warbirds, this is an excellent event. I plan on taking the F6B on her second trip to Oshkosh on Saturday 7/22. For me, it is a 460 mile day, about 2/3rd's is Interstate but some of the Interstate is not too bad, especially as I approach from the west and pass through LaCrosse WI. Plan on staying in Green Bay or Madison if you want a reasonably priced hotel. I have done that on occasion, but will be camping this year since the weather looks pleasant throughout most of the week.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure

Was there maybe 4 years ago. It was at least 95 degrees that day and no shade to be found. Still had a blast and saw some amazing planes and some great aerial shows.
    Thinking about going this time if I can get a decent flight into Milwaukee.
    If you like air shows, this is the one to see.

Would love to and would be a nice ride down but unfortunately I will be out of town, Kalamazoo Mi, doing my grandfatherly duties, meeting my newest grand daughter, 6 months old. Hope she likes me !
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Would love to and would be a nice ride down but unfortunately I will be out of town, Kalamazoo Mi, doing my grandfatherly duties, meeting my newest grand daughter, 6 months old. Hope she likes me !
    She will. Just stuff her full of sugar and hand her back to her parents,

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    She will. Just stuff her full of sugar and hand her back to her parents,

The handoff will come when I smell sumpin spicious.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Oshkosh and the weather

Quote Originally Posted by billsim View Post
    Was there maybe 4 years ago. It was at least 95 degrees that day and no shade to be found. Still had a blast and saw some amazing planes and some great aerial shows.
    Thinking about going this time if I can get a decent flight into Milwaukee.
    If you like air shows, this is the one to see.
    I am trying to think if I was there in 2013...I skipped a year in there somewhere, but you are right, it is a crap shoot when it comes to what kind of weather you will get. I was there in the late 80's when it was near triple digits, camped for 6 nights and it SUCKED! The last night we were there, a cold front moved through and cooled things off, but all I recall from that year was stadning in lines to refill my water bottle, and looking for shade.

I have weathered a few thunderstorms while over there, and last year my buddy and I rode in 7 hours of HEAVY rain ALL the way over there. We recovered by drinking beer and other adult beverages until way too late....made Sunday a tough way to walk around and look at airplanes

I live about 50 miles east of Oshkosh and I only when once. Maybe 30 years ago.
    I will see a lot of planes flying over head. I don't plan on going this year. As far as weather next week sounds cooler. Have fun and enjoy the show.

I'd love to go. Was planning on making a combination Oshkosh / Sturgis trip out of it all.

Alas.....just can't afford it.

.....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by Miks View Post
    Anyone going to the fly-inn and Airshow? Starts on Monday 7/24 through the week, ending on Saturday. Blue Angels will be on hand later in the week.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure
    First I have to check the Reno Air Races off my list. OshKosh is close behind that tho.