Camelbaks.......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camelbaks.......

Camelbaks.......

Curious if anyone uses one when they ride? I normally use my butler cup/large but it does not carry enough fluid for when I'm riding in the summer months and thought about going with a camel pack. I have the RDL seat with a backrest and was not sure if it would interfere with it or not. Thoughts and suggestions........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Camelbacks come in a variety of sizes so you can probably find one that will work with your seat. Personally I don't like the weight of the Camelback on my back so I made a hydration system that mounts on the bike. I use a one gallon insulated plastic Coleman water jug. I made a bracket that mounts to my right side passenger foot peg and the crash bar just behind it. I then use 5/16" food grade tubing that is run into jug. On the end of the food grade tubing I attach a bite valve from a camelback. The bite valve is made to fit the 5/16" tubing.

I fill the jug with ice and water and put it in the bracket on the bike and I have water for most of the day.

If you will look on the Ironbutt website (www.ironbutt.org) they have a good article about hydration systems. That is where I got the idea for mine.

Good luck

I use a Camelbak when riding the dirt bike but have never taken it on the street. As stated, there are a variety of sizes available. I believe the one I use is the Lobo which is a smaller style. I don't even notice it while riding.

I use one on my bicycle...I freeze some water in the bag and then fill with water before leaving...blow water back into the unit when done drinking so the water stays cold...ready for next sip!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Curious if anyone uses one when they ride? I normally use my butler cup/large but it does not carry enough fluid for when I'm riding in the summer months and thought about going with a camel pack. I have the RDL seat with a backrest and was not sure if it would interfere with it or not. Thoughts and suggestions........
    I use one on most of my trips, even if just an overnight trip. Bought one at Walmart, not sure of the brand, but it can be a real difference maker when it's hot out and you are wearing gear. The weight doesn't bother me at all. It's one more thing to deal with at stops, but well worth it while riding. I've only put water in mine, but a friend puts gatorade in his. I have a driver backrest, and once I settle back, I can just raise my shoulders, then lean back, and position the pack on the other side of the back rest, and it does not interfere.

Have one and used it on a summer trip last year riding through parts of Utah and Nevada -- despite adding ice cubes was still 'enjoying' warm gatorade more often than I care to remember! Definitely glad I had it though on the long stretches where zero or limited services exist. I bought the camelback after getting heat stroke in Arches National Park in Utah on a trip a couple years earlier. What could go wrong after being on the road for hours and then trying to hike the Arches trail in mid-90s F heat wearing kevlar jeans and heavy riding boots etc. Canadians and heat are a dangerous combo. Anyway, I always have it with me on road trips down south but didn't need it this summer in eastern Oregon and Washington. It's a bit awkward having it on your back but that's a minor annoyance given the alternative (i.e. laying on the ground sick as a dog hoping the vultures don't get you).

I use one on long trips. It is a lifesaver in hot weather and a full face helmet.

I have thought about wearing mine a few times but never ended up doing it for one reason or another. I always wear it while dirt biking.

I bought mine on Amazon. I think it was about $20 and has held up to some incredible abuse. Always drain and dry the bladder after use, then modified a hanger to hold the bladder open and hang for storage.

Camelbak

I should use mine - but it's been sitting so long I'm scared of what might have grown inside it!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I use one from time to time, when on self powered two wheels, as well as gas powered. I remember a run from Big Bend back to the house a few years back, 8 hours in the saddle in Texas heat, and I rolled up to the house fresh as a daisy! Well, my head was anyway. At gas stops, I would half fill the CB with ice from the soda fountain, then the rest with Gatorade. The ice, as it melted, is a good coolant on my back.