Well hell!

Thread: Well hell!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well hell!

High sided the wing this AM on the way to work avoiding three deer, which earned me a bus ride to the hospital. Got a little rash on my knuckles, knees, & left love handle. Also broke my ankle, cracked my scapula, 6 cracked ribs, & 6 staples in my scalp. They'll decide what to do with ankle & shoulder tomorrow. The bright side of this? It wasn't the shovel!

Mike

Wreck

speedjunkie, I'm sorry about your crash, sounds painful, but very glad that you are alive to tell about it! I hope you have a quick and full recovery.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

So sorry to hear that! wish you a speedy recovery! Hit a deer on my GL1500 a few years ago at 65 mph, luckily I hit the head on my left side and just broke some plastic and blew my saddle bag apart, kept on riding.
    Get Well Soon!

Staples in the head? ouch! Get better quick!
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

There except for the grace of god...

...go one of us.

How is the bike?

I wish you the best and may you heal without issues. Deer scare the crap outta me when on my bikes and we are getting into the rut soon.

Btw.. I hunt them as well. The first one I take this fall will be in honor/payback for you.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Buddy is going to look at bike tomorrow. I've never had the desire to buy & fill a dear tag......till now.

Mike

HOLY CRAP!!!!

As already noted - glad you are typing and telling the tale!!!!
    If you need a 'tool' to assist in filling your deer tag this season, let me know.
    I have several fun options!!

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Deer are so unpredictable. And when you see one.. there's usually a couple more still unseen but close. I've read that the best thing to do is rapid de-acceleration and prepare to drive through them if required. swerving will likely produce contact due to their unpredictability.

I have never had a close call (yet) with deer while on my bike... but have in my truck.

Secondary roads arounf here where I'm at always increase my pucker factor at dawn/dusk. That's when they start moving. At night time right now... forgetaboutit.. I try not to run at night towards this coming time of year. deer up here are thicker than ticks on a hound dog.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

My 2 cents worth ....

Sorry to hear about your mishap, hope every thing goes back together quickly .....

Not to start any controversy but ....

After I retired and the wife was still active, I commuted from Norfolk. Va to Raleigh, NC every weekend for 6+ years across a road known as "Suicide Strip". I was averaging a "critter strike" every 3-4 months. These included dogs, cats deer, coons, possum, etc ....

After i bagged my 6th deer, I decided to add those cheap dear whistles from walmart.

15 years later and (knock on wood) I have yet to hit anything bigger than a squirrel.

As a side note, I put a set on an SUV roof, near the luggage rack. After 2 or 3 miles on the interstate I had to pull over and tear them off .... The noise made my teeth hurt !!!!

I am not saying they work and I am not advocating anyone to use them .... but I will not drive a vehicle without them.

2013 F6B
    2016 Spyder F3 Ltd