I'm at an impasse....... - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: I'm at an impasse.......

Quote Originally Posted by wishey1 View Post
    Ok, so you flew in to LR, and they drove you to meet your bike, man that is so cool.......

TJB, so, how was the ride home, I need more.....
    I packed light. I had everything I needed, including gps and raingear packed into my Saddleman rolling bag that's perfect for trips like this. It rolls but also straps onto the passenger pillion. I carried my helmet and mesh jacket on my flight.

I had a Corbin seat installed by HofR because I wanted to be moved slightly forward and absolutely needed a rider backrest. That was installed, along with the luggage rack, MBL Risers, and Kury Iso Grips (which I was used to [don't like the skinny stock grips]. When I got there, I strapped my Saddleman luggage on the pillion and installed a Throttlerocker and a ThrottleLock.

The first day sucked. I got to HofR at 12:30 and it took me about 2.5 hours to get out of there... they took their sweet time with the paperwork, and they incorrectly installed the luggage rack, wedging a spacer in between the paint and the rack, scratching the paint. Since then, they have shipped me a small amount of paint for touch-up.

Anyway, it was 95 degrees, I was aggravated by getting out of there so late and having the paint chipped, and I couldn't get the ThrottleLock set quite right. I was pretty uncomfortable that first day riding to Memphis, where I stayed the night.

The second day, I got the backrest properly positioned and the ThrottleLock set properly and rode north up to The Land Between the Lakes (TN-KY). That's a pretty area and there was very little traffic. From there, I rode to Bowling Green, trying to dodge rain showers. For the most part, I was able to. The entire day, it was overcast, so the temperature was lower and I really was finally comfortable... a good day for sure.

Day 3: I headed to Mammouth Cave and it was a truly beautiful short ride into the park from Bowling Green. I spent about 3 hours at this national park and then headed southeast and spent the night at Barbourville, KY.

The next day I rode home, going through the Cumberland Gap on a foggy morning, and working my way north, trying to avoid I-81 as long as possible. It was great weather and the bike ran great and was comfortable, although the Corbin seat showed itself: because it's leather, it doesn't allow your rear end to breathe, and your rear gets hot. It takes awhile to break in a Corbin and it's more comfortable now than in was during the first 1014 miles of my bike's life.

Photos: https://www.facebook.com/tim.harriso...8034237&type=3

I had this route pre-planned, hotels reserved (that's the way I like to travel), and my gps ready for it all. It was a great adventure and my only long trip of 2013. I take one per year and this was the only way I was gonna get one this year: sell my Wing and fly to Russellville. 2014: Glacier and Yellowstone, Lord willin.

Speaking of the Corbin: I was so dissatisfied with it, that I bought a stock seat and shipped it to Russell Day Long for them to build me a seat. It's supposed to arrive at my house on Monday.

Stay tuned.
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just LMAO, great story for sure.....we need a 'great story' thread...

Dude, that ride to Glacier, keep me informed, I've been there but on a bike
    would be epic......

From Glacier, to Baniff to Jasper, I would be all in...I'm in love with Jasper BC....

Wishey, I haven't been to BC. I'd love to go to Banff, but it would add another 3-4 days to the trip, which is already 18 days. 18 days is about the max for my wife to stay at home by herself. I can't blame her. She doesn't ride on long trips with me because of hip/back issues and I hate to be without her that long.

Also, to be fair to Corbin, the seat is a great-looking seat and really adds to the bike. Seat comfort is such a subjective thing... to each their own. Corbin is a good company and I'm grateful they sponsor this site.
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

None taken Bobbyf6b, but the Burgman is a motorcycle, as it states on the VIN plate. Just a lot of body panels. But you are right to compare the two is apples to oranges.
    That's because it's a scooter.

Attachment 2756

You can call a dog a cat, but it's still a dog.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Regardless of what its called, IMHO, there can be very little 'common ground' between a step-through and a Wing.

But, who am I to say,,,

I've never owned any bikes less than 1800 cc / 800+ lbs, unless you count that 125 'Zuki enduro back in high school,,,

The Wifes 900 Vulcan was fun to ride in town, and maybe for a relaxed country putt, but high cross winds and super-slab speeds accentuated the differences between it and my bikes.

Timjoebob.......

Please post here or start a thread when you take your first long ride on the Russell...!!

I predict, this is really a guess, your hair will stand on end and go out your helmet and the
    thrilll! registered in yur butt and going down your legs and up thru yur helmet will cause the bike
    to momentarily buck like an unbroken mustang, at least for a second or two...so hold on when
    it hits you....you will of course need a new helmet when the Russell takes effect......

God I wish I could go back to the first time feeling of a Russell "realization"......

On your trip to Glacier, this sounds really weird but I've done something similar on my Alaskan trip:::

Ride out to Great Falls, park bike at airport, get round trip from GF, fly back, get wife a
    round trip from your nearest airport, both of you fly back to GF, Mt. ride to Glacier Park
    do the red bus tour etc. for a couple days there, then drive to Banff, stay there a day or two.
    Ride thru Banff NP right into Jasper NP, spend a day or two in Jasper, ride back to GF.
    Let her fly back and you ride......Glacier Park and the Canadian Rockies are not to be
    Missed......

Long story short.......

Met up with MrF13.....suffice to say, a nicer young man there could not be. It restored my
    faith in the youth of today!!

Talked a while in the parking lot with him and his two friends, one on an FJR and the other
    a VFR I think, not sure really, don't know a bike until it says it in big letters...ahaha.

Rode for a short while with them, as they were on an epic ride, and man all I can say is the
    F6B is the best looking ride I've seen on the road. It beautiful in the way the old Cadillac
    convertible looked in its heyday, solid, smooth, beastly and unaffected by curves or bumps in
    the road......the F6B makes every road look like it was just paved, wow!! He told me about
    some great riding roads here in Arkansas I didn't know about...

Anyway thanks again MrF13, I assume you are getting home today. Hope y'all had a great time.

I want three bikes, that's all.......

I want the F6B (of course), the Can-am rt, and the Husqvarna 650.......

In reality I can only have one. I've tried owning two bikes on two occasions and I just can't
    keep up with all the maintenance, and will inevitably start riding only one.......

There can be only one!

Do any of you guys know the skinny on the Can-am RTs?? I'm somewhat fascinated by not
    having to put your feet down and the wife liked the big back seat of my two Gold Wings...
    And I'm 60 now, shouldn't I start thinking about these three-wheeled vehicles...

Was looking at the Can-am and the F6B as my Super Bowl final comparison.....Can-Am rt-
    limited (demo for $21K) and the F6B (new deluxe for $18) Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Please, can you help a brother out...?

Do any of you guys know the skinny on the Can-am RTs??
    I've seen one up close and talked to the owner. It was his wife's bike, er trike. He told me that the bike motor was the same motor that CanAm uses in their other machines [generic 1000cc, his words] and in his opinion underpowered. You'll need to verify the specs. Looking it over I thought it might have a few more service points than a conventional bike because of the extra hardware.

Lastly this will tickle some here, it had a car tire mounted on the rear. Since it's a three wheeler I'd call that going over to the grey side.

That's all I know.

Do any of you guys know the skinny on the Can-am RTs?? I'm somewhat fascinated by not
    having to put your feet down and the wife liked the big back seat of my two Gold Wings...
    And I'm 60 now, shouldn't I start thinking about these three-wheeled vehicles...

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Please, can you help a brother out...?

I have no doubt that several people here will disagree with my opinion on Can Ams, but...this is MY opinion, and I feel strongly about it. If you want to voice your own opinion, go for it.

My wife and I seriously looked at getting one or possibly two Can Ams, this past Summer. After taking the WA. State 3 - wheeler riding class, because in this state we are forced to take that class in order to get the endorsement for sidecars or trikes, and I spent 73.14159 % of my time in the riding portion of the class on a 2011 Can Am...I discussed the matter of buying a new Can Am with my wife. While she rides her own bikes, and has a few of them, she is quite short, and all of her bikes have to be FIT to her, so she can be comfortable. Solution...enter the Can Am.

My experiences riding this 2011 Can Am RT-S around a giant parking lot, through cones, etc, was a lot of fun. It piqued my interest to look further into them. We set up a riding appt. with a local Can Am dealer, went there, waited forever for them to allow us to take a new Can Am RT-S out for a ride. My wife rode it first, and I led her out on a ride, with me on the F6B. I was cautiously slow, and careful, as she was not used to the Can Am. After about 5 miles of riding in the country, away from traffic, I was tiring of waiting for her to catch up, even though I was only going 55 to 60 mph.
    Finally, after another few miles, I stopped on the side of the road, and waited for her. When she stopped, and we talked about it, she explained that the Can Am was all over the road, and difficult to ride. This was different than my "parking lot" experiences, but this was now on the open road. So, I took the Can Am RT-S Spyder for a ride, while she stood next to my F6B. In my normal riding style, I took it up the road and discovered what she was talking about. This Can Am was terrible. There is no other word for it..terrible. I even thought that maybe if I took it to a higher speed, maybe...90 mph, it might settle down. That was not to be. The Spyder was all over the road, difficult to handle, did not want to track a straight line, and felt like I was fighting it all the time, every inch of every foot, of every mile.

After a 10 mile ride, I brought it back to her, confirmed to her that it was NOT her riding...but it was the POS Can Am Spyder, and we would take it back immediately. Upon return to the dealership, I asked the salesman if this new 2013 Spyder had gone through the warranty recall of the front ball joints, as there were problems with them that required the dealers to replace all of them. He assured me that this Spyder had been taken care of. I then told him...there is no way in the world that I could ever recomend to anyone to buy one of these machines, based on the test ride that we had just experienced.

Most sales-personnel know me, or know of me, well enough to know that I am not some rookie rider that is just learning how to ride. This salesman was smart enough to not question me on that. My wife jumped back on her own bike, a 2002 Magna 750 V-4, and we rode back home. The end result was that we were both so dissatisfied with how the Can Am rode, that we could easily erase that vehicle off our lists of ones we would ever want to own.

The opposite side of the coin is...after all the bikes I have owned and all the miles I have ridden, the Honda F6B is either THEE best bike I have ever owned, or...I forget what other bike might have been better. It is so good, it causes you to forget all previous bikes, except...maybe that '74 Norton 850 Commando, or that '54 Vincent Black Shadow