Kudos For Helibars
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kudos For Helibars

Kudos For Helibars

I had been thinking about a set for a while. Since I have a 2500 mile trip coming up next week I decided to take the plunge. Cornish, ME (where they are located) is about 100 miles from me or two hours. I made the appointment for today and when I arrived one of the owners, Harry, showed up in shorts and sandals and tells me he is going to do the build. Needless to say he knows all there is to know about motorcycle steering and it shows. He first showed me around the facility and informed me how they make the bars and what part each of their vendors plays. All of the bars looked first class but the ones for the big Harleys really were "amazing" (to use an over used term). Part of his tour was to show me his brand new BMW K1600B and R9 T. They will make bars for them and also use them for personal steeds. However, Harry has personally owned 3 Wings. He was impressed with the F6B.

The build took 2.5 hours and was complicated. Helibars make and use two special tools to remove heated grips. After watching him for the whole time I was impressed with his knowledge and the importance of having some one familiar with those type kits to do the work. If you want a local guy to do it make sure this isn't the first kit. I have a radar detector and Garmin GPS he had to work around but no problem. The best part was when he fitted the bars for me. He had me sit and assume different locations that I might use while driving. Once I was comfortable he set each of the locks for my position. I then packed up, paid and thanked him for 2.5 hours of learning, talk of motorcycles and airplanes. His parting words were "the bike will feel funny at first" and off I went.

Well, feel funny was an understatement. I drove out of the industrial park and stopped because the bike felt so weird. It wasn't uncomfortable but it certainly didn't feel like all the thousands of miles I driven in the past. I stopped for gas and a quick bite and off I went again. Most of my roads were rural plus some I-95. Then the feel of the bike changed as I road. As I did different maneuvers I really notice the improvements. By the time I got home I was certain this was the best improvement I had done to the F6B.

So is it worth the $800. For me it is a bargain; however, for the guys who only drive a few thousand miles a year nor ever go on "adventures" cross country you need to drive one to be sure. For the guys/women who put on the miles and do cross country it's a slam dunk.

In any case, you install one because it looks so cool!

Great Bars!

I too recently got my bars. They are absolutely incredible. I love the freedom to adjust them any way that I want. Made my B feel like a completely different bike in a good way. Not only do they look cool and help to set mine apart from the others out there but they also gave me more mounting locations for more stuff!
    2015 Blue F6B Deluxe, Mods: Bagger shield, Heli Bars, Garmin ZUMO, Beverage Butler, LED HIs/Lows, Pathfinder Switchbacks, Smoked Lenses. Kury Ergo IIIs, Iso foot rests, Transformer Passenger floor boards, Reflector replacement Lights, Trailer Isolation harness, Iso Grips, Smart Mount Backrest, Luggage rack, Homemade Lightning Strike, TBR Exhaust, ADD ON Hitch, Healtech Brake flasher, J&M upgraded speakers. K&N Air filter, LED Accent lights, Custom flag bar, Tritium Led Fog lights, Air Wings...

I installed mine 3 years ago. Best money I've spent on my F6B.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Nice eh? I installed mine a week ago and love the adjustability. No more neck/shoulder pain. Felt different at first impression but now they are dialled in its
    2013 F6B in black of course

I like mine and would buy them again. I also have the MBL wide risers installed. So I have a little more lift and a little more back. I can sit back against the Mustang butt chock during acceleration.

Once installed, the helibars never felt odd to me. They immediately felt great. Though I must admit that sitting in the garage and "testing" them is not the same as riding down the road. So there were adjustments necessary.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I like mine and would buy them again. I also have the MBL wide risers installed. So I have a little more lift and a little more back. I can sit back against the Mustang butt chock during acceleration.

Once installed, the helibars never felt odd to me. They immediately felt great. Though I must admit that sitting in the garage and "testing" them is not the same as riding down the road. So there were adjustments necessary.
    Hey I've been curious about this. I have been thinking about moving my seat back a couple of inches or so and thought I might add the MBL risers under my Helibars to compensate. However, I have mine set in nearly the lowest position and the throttle cable is already quite taut. I'm not sure I'll have enough slack to put them in their lowest position if I move them back farther.

Have you checked yours to see if you have the full range of positions since the risers?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    Hey I've been curious about this. I have been thinking about moving my seat back a couple of inches or so and thought I might add the MBL risers under my Helibars to compensate. However, I have mine set in nearly the lowest position and the throttle cable is already quite taut. I'm not sure I'll have enough slack to put them in their lowest position if I move them back farther.

Have you checked yours to see if you have the full range of positions since the risers?

Jason
    My throttle cables are pretty tight as it is. I adjusted those 90 degree bends at the handlebar to make the cables more loose. I am probably using 99% of the available length. I guess I got lucky that it all works.

Lowering the bars might still be okay. It looks like the distance could be even a bit shorter then (vs up higher). But, the cables might then be touching your brake lever (mine are close). Bottom line is that it is going to be close, but you can probably make it work.
    Albuquerque, NM

can't be beat!

I've had my HeliBars on for several years and can't imagine ever riding the F6B without them, next to the RDL saddle the second best mod ever for me.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Now that is motorcycle seat!