The Trials & Tribulations of Harley Ownership - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Trials & Tribulations of Harley Ownership

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    If flying big ass helicopters for 20+ years taught me anything, it was that "given enough moving parts, that entity has some sort of spirit."
    ALL my CH-53s had souls and they had no qualms whatsoever in expressing themselves in one way or another.
    The trick was to be tuned in to their frequency and decipher their language.

My Isleen and my Saorla both have souls....no question about that.
    They both talk to me, mostly happily, sometimes irreverently.

They sit too long - they get cabin fever.
    They both beg for my attention when I go out to the barn.
    They both want to be the one chosen to go somewhere.
    If not stroked and petted properly & regularly they misbehave.
    They both have "that time of the month" and get associatively cranky - though Saorla is in menopause I think. She's always too hot and somewhat bitchy.
    Sometimes walking to the barn, I open the door and almost immediately decide to take the truck instead either Saorla or Isleen.

Feel free to think about this as you may.
    Maybe I'm looney - maybe I'm just in sync with mechanical things - but either way it's not my concern how you think.
    But I have listened to more than a few 53s tell me "not today" and I'm alive today to tell the rest of the stories.

For those of you who treat your ride as a "motorized mistress" - IMH(AWI)O - good on you.
    For those of you that do not - no worries, but you're really missing out.
    In all cases, ride well.
    Steve
    X3

Harley Ownership

Bought a 1978 FLH, back when HD was owned by AMF, in four years I paid for it again in repairs.
    My fastest Black F6B is 4 years old now, haven't had the need for any repairs - the brake recall doesn't count does it?

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    Bought a 1978 FLH, back when HD was owned by AMF, in four years I paid for it again in repairs.
    Those were some dark days.... and really crappy products.

Some of the stuff Harley puts on the street has continued to be crappy, hence the oft heard reply to a mechanical failure, "first time we've seen that" (yeah, right) or "they all do that".

Compensators.... I'm on a new and improved model that replaced the 2013 improved model which replaced the last effort to improve the compensator model... and so on. Lifters, crankshaft run-out and....

Harley has some good years and some bad ones, too

I will say "Nobody beats Harley for quality".

Do not confuse that comment with "Harley builds the best motorcycle". They don't. But they do build with quality materials that hold up well.

They do not have the best design nor are they the most dependable or have the smoothest engine or ride. But they do make bikes that age better than most. I had a 20 year old Heritage and the paint was better after 1\5 of a century and 45K miles than any other bike I have owned. How many posts are here about the quality of Honda's paint. I can park my black 3 year old Valkyrie with 21K next to my black Springer --also with 21K miles and if you had to go by condition alone you would not be able to distinguish between the bike that is 3 years old and the one 16 years old. With the VRod, they proved that they can design a great bike that is dependable and powerful---even if it is not--nor ever was popular. They were great bikes for what they were meant to do.

Many Harley owners will tell you that they own a Harley for no other reason than they just want a Harley. Nothing wrong with that, I guess. I have owned a number of Metric Cruisers and ---try as they may---they cannot duplicate the Harley thump. The big Star bikes come as close as possible.

I will agree that the pre-EVO era was a nightmare. I think the 90's thru 2006 were their best years---JMHO of course. When I demo the new bikes, they just don't feel the same. They are very tame and feel domesticated and house broken.

What you have been reading is the ramblings of a bored warehouse supervisor who is through for the week and still has 2 hours to kill before the weekend starts. BTW---rode the Valkyrie to work the last 2 days. Love it just as much as the Springer.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 02 Night Train has been great to me in the 13+ years I've owned it.
    I've replaced a throttle cable (sharp edge on custom grips), and a speedometer sensor.
    That's it other than regular maintenance.

I get the soul thing. The NT definitely has a personality, and it's different than my friends' softails.
    I often think of a Civic or CRV when driving the F6B.

I've been dating a girl for months, and she's put in plenty of miles with me on both bikes.
    She finds the F6B more comfortable and functional. She finds the Harley more thrilling, fun and "cool".
    She enjoys both. I enjoy both. I choose which one to ride, depending on what I'm doing, how far I'm riding, what kind of mood I'm in. I'm happy to have both!

Edited to mention, I have more paint chips on the F6B in just over a year than I have on the NT after 13+ years. F6B paint, no bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    I will say "Nobody beats Harley for quality".

I will agree that the pre-EVO era was a nightmare. I think the 90's thru 2006 were their best years---JMHO of course. When I demo the new bikes, they just don't feel the same. They are very tame and feel domesticated and house broken.
    Agree completely. Have owned 12 Harleys total - 5 were after 06. Other than the 07 Street Glide, just wasn't able to "bond" with any of them.

Bought a 2015 Road King........never meshed with it. It was smooth, and the 103 engine had more than adequate power, cruise - and that loud clunky transmission. Ugh. Traded it rather quickly for a 2016 Low rider.....same clunky transmission. Hips going bad, so had to get rid of that as well. Took a beating on trade - Harleys no longer hold their value like they used to, at least in my experience. In 93, while stationed in Colorado, I bought an 1987 FLHS (Electra Glide Sport, precursor to the Road King) for $12,500....more than it cost new. But, back then there was a 2 year waiting list for a new Harley. Sold it 3 years later for $10k.

Never stranded on the road by any bike - Harleys, 4 BMWs, 2 Wings, a Valkyrie Interstate, a F6B, or my 2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000 - counting my blessings. Believe that everyone makes a good product or else they couldn't stay in business.

Just my .02