The Trials & Tribulations of Harley Ownership - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Trials & Tribulations of Harley Ownership

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    *You* have no soul bubba. Leave SG out of it.
    There may be folks that would agree with you there!

Mike

Moving parts....

If flying big ass helicopters for 20+ years taught me anything, it was that "given enough moving parts, that entity has some sort of spirit."
    ALL my CH-53s had souls and they had no qualms whatsoever in expressing themselves in one way or another.
    The trick was to be tuned in to their frequency and decipher their language.

My Isleen and my Saorla both have souls....no question about that.
    They both talk to me, mostly happily, sometimes irreverently.

They sit too long - they get cabin fever.
    They both beg for my attention when I go out to the barn.
    They both want to be the one chosen to go somewhere.
    If not stroked and petted properly & regularly they misbehave.
    They both have "that time of the month" and get associatively cranky - though Saorla is in menopause I think. She's always too hot and somewhat bitchy.
    Sometimes walking to the barn, I open the door and almost immediately decide to take the truck instead either Saorla or Isleen.

Feel free to think about this as you may.
    Maybe I'm looney - maybe I'm just in sync with mechanical things - but either way it's not my concern how you think.
    But I have listened to more than a few 53s tell me "not today" and I'm alive today to tell the rest of the stories.

For those of you who treat your ride as a "motorized mistress" - IMH(AWI)O - good on you.
    For those of you that do not - no worries, but you're really missing out.
    In all cases, ride well.
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Do you ever say goodnight to your motorcycle(s) at the end of the day; just before you close the door on them? Especially after a long ride; and thank them for bringing you home safely?

I do.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Steve nailed it. I've worked in aviation awhile & figured out early on that all things mechanical are of the female persuasion. You can push all you want, but she won't be rushed out the door! She'll be ready when she's ready. Likewise, when they break, they're just unhappy with the lack of TLC they've been getting lately. So, ya gotta take em home, give em some love, and they'll eventually come around and be happy again.

And yes, I talk to my ladies, especially the 79. Damn I love her! My wife knows who my mistresses are, they live in my garage!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by LA Weld View Post
    Still have the 86 FXR moth balled I just push it around the shop if I need reminding of "adventure of getting there".
    Rubber mount evo 5spd, what's not to like?! Love to make my 83 flt a belt drive. Super smooth for almost 35 years old.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    Steve nailed it. I've worked in aviation awhile & figured out early on that all things mechanical are of the female persuasion. You can push all you want, but she won't be rushed out the door! She'll be ready when she's ready. Likewise, when they break, they're just unhappy with the lack of TLC they've been getting lately. So, ya gotta take em home, give em some love, and they'll eventually come around and be happy again.

And yes, I talk to my ladies, especially the 79. Damn I love her! My wife knows who my mistresses are, they live in my garage!

Mike

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Gawd I miss the Big Johnson t-shirts!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Do you ever say goodnight to your motorcycle(s) at the end of the day; just before you close the door on them? Especially after a long ride; and thank them for bringing you home safely?

I do.
    ALWAYS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

I do.
    No, but I do say 'hello & wake up' when I turn on the shop lights to get ready for a ride and I have been know to set on my steel steeds in the shop and make zoom zoom sounds and during a build the first time the handelbars go on I'll set on the frame or saddel and go VROOM VROOM with a smile on my face, thinking; How is this iron beast is going to ride?

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Steel, plastic, rubber and wires. When this one fails or wears out another will take its place. No cute names or soul imagining. Gets stolen, great, I get a new bike. Now if failing or breaking down means it has soul then my boat must be very soulful. And lonely as I don't care for the breakdowns.