Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiDan View Post
What the little guy right above said...

DCTs are used in F1, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Ferraris, and pretty much all high performance cars.
I have a buddy who has the same scoot as I do - a CTX700. Mine is the DCT, his is manual. He raced professionally early on, and also has a few other sports bikes (uses the CTX as a commuter). He KNOWS how to shift fast, and the CTX is a really slick shifter. He weighs 140, I'm north of 300. When we race, he pulls away every single gear - until we shift. Or rather, he shifts and my DCT does its thing. I catch and pass him every time. Then he pulls ahead a bike length, we shift, and I'm in front again until he slowly inches ahead (due to a 20% weight differential).

Out-shifting a DCT is like saying you can out-brake an ABS system. MAYBE one out of 50 times you can "beat the computer" but you're gonna lose 49 times out of 50. And seriously, the freedom from NOT having to clutch and shift (especially in traffic) is a truly amazing thing. The art of riding becomes about riding, not kicking a lever... Nothing better than not clutching 100 times every block in LA city They shift faster than you can (literally 20-30 milliseconds - faster than a person can react), perfectly match throttle each time, and with two clutches - it's nearly always ready for the next shift.
traffic!

But if you don't want a DCT - looks like Honda will offer it both ways, like they do the rest of their DCT-enabled bikes!
I agree!
That would be cool.