Just some random thoughts on the boxer engine...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just some random thoughts on the boxer engine...

Just some random thoughts on the boxer engine...

I own a Subaru now, as well the F6B.

Both engines are "flat" engines, horizontally-opposed, one a four-banger, the six being in the Honda.

Both behave in similar ways...

-essentially no vibration at any engine speed...full throttle on the Subaru @ 6000 rpm is as smooth as 2000 rpm, same on the B
    -simliar intake sound, particularly under heavy throttle inputs
    -lower center of gravity contributes to flat, stable cornering
    -both twist slightly when being cranked over by the starter motor
    -both make a raspy, sporty sound during hard acceleration
    -both make a unique exhaust note as compared to their inline counterparts

These flat motors have their downsides (spacing in certain applications, like motorcycle foot space; ease of some maintenance and repair items, increased costs due to having two banks of cylinders), but they have a lot of advantages that I never knew until I owned a couple of 'em.

In the Subaru, the flat-four is a short engine, located entirely in front of the wheels, allowing the transmission to be directly behind the PTO, with half-shafts coming out directly to the front wheels; a driveshaft heading out back to the rear. A lot less redundancy, and power loss, in this set up.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Funny how no one ever brings up the Volkswagen air-cooled Boxer engine.

It was a funny exhaust sound but still a good little engine for its time.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Or Corvair or BMW twin.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Funny how no one ever brings up the Volkswagen air-cooled Boxer engine.

It was a funny exhaust sound but still a good little engine for its time.
    I believe the last air-cooled VW flat motor was in the 1984 Vanagon....?

They went to the "Wasserboxer" water cooled 2100cc flat four to power the Vanagons 1985-1991.

Consider it mentioned! :-)

Does Porsche still use an air-cooled flat motor in the 911?
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    Or Corvair or BMW twin.
    I believe that engine (BMW twin) is made by Rotax, owned by BRP and engine producer for every Can-Am Spyder, ATV, side-by-side, Sea Doo, Ski Doo.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    )

Does Porsche still use an air-cooled flat motor in the 911?
    At some point, Porsche began calling theirs oil cooled. Which makes sense to me, since Porsche is big into oil. On my buddies 86' 911 it took 14 quarts of oil. It has a huge oil cooler (bigger then a GL1800 radiator) up by the RF tire with a thermostat to control oil heat in one of it's lines and a oil tank between the engine and the cooler that sits to the right of the engine. In 86 they still called them air cooled, but with the oil temperature being controlled like it was, what they called it was confusing to me.

On last nights Mecum auto action show, they were saying that the 911 is still being made.

Quote Originally Posted by druggr View Post
    At some point, Porsche began calling theirs oil cooled. Which makes sense to me, since Porsche is big into oil. On my buddies 86' 911 it took 14 quarts of oil. It has a huge oil cooler (bigger then a GL1800 radiator) up by the RF tire with a thermostat to control oil heat in one of it's lines and a oil tank between the engine and the cooler that sits to the right of the engine. In 86 they still called them air cooled, but with the oil temperature being controlled like it was, what they called it was confusing to me.

On last nights Mecum auto action show, they were saying that the 911 is still being made.
    Air cooled oil

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

I have owned Porsches

Yes, the older 911's had Oil Cooled flat 6 engines. My 911 SC had a large whales tail, within the tail (most people never saw it) was a large oil radiator. As the wind came over the roof line , it also went into the tail to cool the oil. 12 quarts is what my Porsche required. The engine really needs only 4 quarts for lubrication, the additional 8 were for cooling the engine under heavy stressful operation (driving like an idiot without being on a track). It was a highly modified Volkswagen engine, after all Mr. Ferdinand Porsche was the creator of Volkswagen.

Oil changes pending your style of driving back in the 80's were between 10,000 and 15,000 miles with Dinosaur oil. You had to drain the engine case and the side reservoir tank.

Next time you see a Classic Porsche, just take a look at the top of the tail. Great and fun little cars.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Air cooled oil
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

I have owned Porsches

Yes, the older 911's had Oil Cooled flat 6 engines. My 911 SC had a large whales tail, within the tail (most people never saw it) was a large oil radiator. As the wind came over the roof line , it also went into the tail to cool the oil. 12 quarts is what my Porsche required. The engine really needs only 4 quarts for lubrication, the additional 8 were for cooling the engine under heavy stressful operation (driving like an idiot without being on a track). It was a highly modified Volkswagen engine, after all Mr. Ferdinand Porsche was the creator of Volkswagen.

Oil changes pending your style of driving back in the 80's were between 10,000 and 15,000 miles with Dinosaur oil. You had to drain the engine case and the side reservoir tank.

Next time you see a Classic Porsche, just take a look at the top of the tail. Great and fun little cars.
    The 86 that I posted about was the only Porsche I ever was involved with. I found them to be an extremely well engineered car. If I recall, the front suspension had torsion bars, with a lower control arm that was nearly 3' long making for a suspension system able to take extreme, consistent abuse. I'd never drove a car that offered such great handling and control, even at 130mph+. If I recall the body metal was all galvanized to prevent from rusting.

That one did have some ergonomic flaws. Overtime I turned the a/c on, I had to read the Owner's Manual to deal with the 3 interior fan switches. I heard in 1989, that was changed.

The one for sale on Mecum was an SC, and I thought that meant it was a 4-cyl. boxer, but it wasn't because I saw the engine compartment, and its distributor cap had 6 plug wires coming out of it. So what does SC stand for and which 911 had the 4 cylinder boxer ??? Maybe the SC had rear torsion bars ???

SC stands for Super Carrera and came out in 1978 and had a 3 liter 180hp flat six. I believe the 912 had the 4 cylinder engine. I had a 1979 911SC and was one of my all-time favorites right behind my '67 Corvette 427 6pack convertible which was one bad-ass roadster.