Question for those who pull a trailer....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for those who pull a trailer....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question for those who pull a trailer....

What do you carry in your trailer to raise it if you have to change a flat tire? Bottle jacks are fairly heavy, was wondering what others are using.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    What do you carry in your trailer to raise it if you have to change a flat tire? Bottle jacks are fairly heavy, was wondering what others are using.
    I carry a shipping blanket in my Bushtec, just tip it on it's side. Easiest way to change tires.
    Not sure if you can to that with all trailers, but works perfectly with a Bushtec Turbo.

Also have a Bushtec Turbo, never thought about laying it on it's side, damn a bike and trailer , don't even have to disconnect, just lay both on their side ! Seriously I carry a scissors style jack but Bushtec tires are like 6 or 8 ply...
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

I don"t pull a trailer, but couldn't you carry a piece ov plywood maybe 1 1/2" thick. Cut it like a 1/4 pie section with a notch at the point. Prop it under the axle and pull forward just a bit to roll it up?

on my sidecar bike I just got a 2x4 cut to the proper length with a V notch to fit under axle. easy peasy. cueman

Yeah, something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Bill - I carry a cheap scissor jack just in case, but also carry the "stop and go" tire plug kit. I pull a CanAm trailer and laying it on its side isn't really an option.
    Have fun trailering!
    Bill

With those tall tires and light load wheel bearings shouldn't be a big problem.
    Try pulling a snowmobile trailer with 8 " tires. Highway speed on the 4 lane and the bearings are so hot you can't touch the hubs.

I too pull a BushTec. My trailer tools consist of 3. An allen wrench to loosen the wheel's center cover allen screws, some sort of pry tool to pry the cover off, and a large crescent wrench to remove the wheel's center nut. Because a BushTec is so light, they are easy to pick up. For jacking, once empty, I just have my GF pickup on the top of the wheel while I slide a large rock or log under the frame to change the tire.

check camping world website they have a plastic axle jack it is crescent shape it fits under the axle you roll forward and it lifts the trailer hope this helps