Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
+1
Totally correct,David and that fact grieves me . Growing up where I did I have lost friends to that insanity - people I grew up with from childhood. I took classes and used my on experience to try to comprehend why that happens.I think I got it but I still struggle with why we wont stop it,staying in a situation that promotes it.It's not enough for me to say "I got out" when I have to look back and see it more prevalent now than it was when I was a 'kid' Toward that end whenever I can have the opportunity I pull these youngsters aside and if I can get a conversation I try to give the fruit of my experience to them. I am in a position where I can hire people and although I have to respect the law I do try to attempt to give opportunity for a decent job and income to get people off the streets and that culture.I have many stories about that and would be it's own post that I am not willing to start.Understand that I do not and cannot hire every black person that applies-that approach is wrong on a few levels.
I want to be clear - I do the same for any person that comes in,presents themselves properly and shows that they want a better life
That said it becomes more greivious to see innocent people (regardless of race) treated like that. Which brings me back to the point of this discussion.
The point of kneeling is to bring attention to when this happens. Thats it.The terrible fact of how many of each other WE kill does not excuse innocent people being shot at will for no reason.I am not trying t disparage all police.I also have friends and acquaintances that are police.In my youth I applied and was accepted to become a cop but by the time they called I had a better paying job which led me to where I am now.
On the Travon issue what I have read was the kid went to a 7/11 was followed by a neighborhood watch guy with a gun who accosted him then attacked him,lost the fight and then shot him. Travon wasnt selling drugs,had nothing on him and had no criminal history.
Guys,I walk my neighborhood,wear a hoodie(I shave my head and it's cold) and yes if anyone jumped out at me would be met with swift and devastating resistance.(I dont want to carry and shouldn't have to just to grab a gallon of milk from a 7/11 a half mile away.)
If my facts are incorrect on this feel free to correct me.
David I get your point. A couple of years ago there was a little girl who was selling chocolate for her school.Two "gangsters" came up on her claimed she wasnt supposed to sell anything on 'their' corner which they will never own and shot her. A little girl selling chocolate for a school outing.
That still tears me up inside....but thats another subject.