What is it with Ford Trucks?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is it with Ford Trucks?

What is it with Ford Trucks?

Rant-

Every Ford truck that I've owned while in Maryland has had issues. My F150 V6 had repetitive timing chain cover leaks. My next 5.4L F150 had to have the motor replaced; due to piston slap. My last 7.3L F350 diesel would not fire at the most inopportune times; and a diagnosis never was reached for it.

Now my current 2011 5.0L F150 has a loud knock 5 minutes after a cold start, and goes away after the engine is completely warmed up. Now out of warranty. And only 41,000 miles on it. :sad20: And it has always burned at least a quart of oil every 5K.

I'm at wits end here regarding Found On Road Dead trucks

Undetermined at this time what I'm going to do about it. Do I:

1. Keep it and wait for the motor to fail? Then replace motor? Most likely in excess of 5K.. She's been a knock'in for the last 15K from my best recollection.

2. Trade it in and get another truck?

Reading other ford message boards; there are shared owner experiences regarding this very issue. Some say run it until it blows up, others say should be replaced and still others have had mixed results with Stealerships either replacing the motor... or not.

Should have never gotten rid of my Tacoma. Sigh...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I have a Toyota 4 Runner which I purchased new in 2005! Except for tires, wiper blades, brake pads and two rear rotors the vehicle is OEM down to every light bulb. 104000 miles and the original spark plugs are also in place! Buying Honda, Toyota etc. you purchase "reliability"!

Regarding your Ford! Purchase good insurance and hope "Lickmann's Lightening Service" pays a visit

I learned my lesson in ‘92. Bought a brand new Ford T-Bird. The problems never ended right from the start. Even though it was all covered under warranty, I still had to take the time and effort to deal with it. To make matters worse, the loaner they gave me was a Ford Tempo, talk about a bucket of bolts!!! Never again! We bought a Toyota, which we passed on to my older son, and he still drives. 240,000 miles later.

All vehicles today are garbage. Some are reliable mechanically but paint, body, fenders, etc are pure crap. I used Ford trucks exclusively for my construction company and up until 2000 you could actually lean on em or stand on the bumper without causing 1000 bucks in damage. I have a 14 FJ Cruiser and a 16 Dodge Ram 2500 and I am anal on the maintenance,especially the exteriors and it's almost futile. Careful about hand waxing the hood to hard as it might cave in. The consumer can not be allowed to own anything of true quality as they need you buying new junk every two to three years to keep the fiat world turning.

My first post here. Still setting up my account.
    In 50 years I've never had a reliable Ford. I know others who swear by them.
    I swear on mine too. Big nasty words! Harley's have been like Fords for me. Big bucks, with troubles to match.
    If you find a good one, drive it till it quits.
    Have had very good luck with Chevy and Dodge over the years.
    Now Driving a 04 Toyota Highlander with 105,000 miles. Runs perfect.
    Riding a 2013 F6B with 8,500 miles. Also runs perfect.
    You'll know what to do when the mood hits you in the wallet. You get to go anywhere you want from here.
    Isn't this life wonderful. You get to start over every day if you wish.
    Good Luck
    ITS ALL GOOD

I can't compliance about my Ranger. 1997, 218,000, new ting belts at 100,000, and 200,000, new plugs at 100,000, 1 starter, 1 alternator,and still the original clutch. Just sold it because it was a 5sp and my shoulder surgery required an automatic.

2005 Ford F-150XL with a 4.2 liter V6 and 5 speed manual.Had to replace upper and lower intakes at 48000 miles which were a problem on the 4.2.Since then It has 173000 trouble free miles on her.Other then normal maintenance it still has the original clutch, tranny,and rear end.Hand crank widows and no power anything-simple and cheap plus she still gets 20+mpg on good Ol regular fuel.Cost per mile it has been the best vehicle I have owned next to Goldwings.

I have been driving Ford products for almost 50 years..Some vans, trucks, cars, and now an suv....Had some transmission issues a few times with mini-vans, and a couple car issues years back...Never had any significant problems/ issues with the trucks I had and would buy another Ford truck without hesitation!!!...Best truck currently out there in my opinion!!

I am surprised by these stories. The F150 has been the best selling truck in North America for many years
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    I am surprised by these stories. The F150 has been the best selling truck in North America for many years
    Find me one manufacturer that has not had some quality issues, re-calls, un-happy customers at some point, and I will buy you a steak dinner!!!! With the mass numbers of vehicles produced by humans, no one is perfect in anyway.....Including the Asian manufacturers!!!...Even wonder car Toyota has had major issues...Each of us has stories about certain vehicles that have "pissed us off at times"...That is life, plain and simple...Regards and ride safe