Quote Originally Posted by dadeo View Post
You are right that a few states / localities have passed laws requiring the production of an ID on demand. BUT no such law as withstood a review all the way to Supremes... NY's came closes with stop and frisk, but I believe Rudy (or successor) dropped the case at the state level Appeal Ct level ( his attorneys told him they'd lose). I think we agree that anyone who give a copper a hard time is probably going to need someone like my Dad! But, someone who is cooperative is not likely to need one, if he self identifies and doesn't seem suspicious. Moreso, I agree that the only way you are going to successfully defend your right to walk that dog without ID (assuming a copper wants to push it) is to get someone like my Dad to defend you after the fact. That or the ACLU perhaps. On the other hand,, the locality paying that cop may hand out a large settlement -- depending on how far the copper and the dog walker take the issue...... Seen that too.

On taxes... Unfortunately, Congress did pass a law authorizing the income tax and there was a constitutional amendment back in the early part of the 20th Century making such a tax constitutional, although I don't believe the words "income tax" are in the text of the amendment. Btw, I F-ing hate the current income tax, and I don't like how much Congress delegated to the IRS via those laws: a whole lot of powers were given to the IRS to enact unending regulations to collect. However unfortunately, the courts have held that those regulations do have the force of law. So you can't say those regulations are not law. They "suck", but they are law.

We have a mixed system of legislated, regulatory and common law that dates back to the English. The "law" is not only what the legislature at the state or federal level passed, but it is also all the regulations that executive agencies write (as a result of what the legislature passed), AND all the opinions that courts have made about both. It would be more accurate if you'd said that the specific laws that Congress passed do not mention withholding specifically. However, the IRS issued regulations that ARE based on what Congress passed and the courts have upheld the IRS saying that withholding is one of several acceptable methods (and are mentioned in the regs) to make those payments. So withholding is in fact, "law" in good ol USA. BTW, it sounds like you know that if you fail to pay enough each quarter you will accrue interest and penalties, under the law. Something I am also familiar with. (groan)...
Congress passed an enabling statute "Section 8. Clause 1. The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes" but never passed a law to actually impose the tax and make anyone "liable" in conjunction with that statute to pay it. "The NFL Sucks" It is implied law, same as the ID, if you don't comply it exists because the law lives and breathes on the "gray area". "The NFL Sucks" I was a court watcher meaning a group of us would go into various courts and sit there literally all day sometimes and develop strategies to combat the tyrannical stranglehold the corrupt "Justice (Just us) system" has on the public. I clocked $3000 in fines per hour just in one court, 4 minutes was the average time for a case to be heard. This is where Public Policy comes in (gray area), there are no "constitutional rights" in the courtroom and I have been in the court when a judge says "If you mention your constitutional rights one more time in my courtroom I will hold you in contempt." "The NFL Sucks" The law doesn't matter, your rights don't matter it's the rules that matter and whoever has the better paperwork regarding the rules wins. "The NFL Sucks" The IRS is a private trust based in Puerto Rico, the Internal Revenue imposes the tax the Internal revenue SERVICE collects the tax. They are the collectors for the Federal Reserve as all the debt notes you carry around in your pocket is borrowed by Congress. "The NFL Sucks". N.Y. Crim. Proc. Law §140.50 para. 1 triggers para. 4