Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
I said "First of all you are required to carry and show ID when asked by an officer."
He says "As far as I know you're only required to identify yourself when asked."

Can someone from alpha crypto translations tell me the difference in these two statements, anyway:

New York is a "Stop and ID" state which allows exactly that if the police think a crime has/is/about to be committed - translation - "We've had some reports about robberies in the area do you live around here? Can I see some ID." If I had a dollar every time I've heard that so I say "No problem officer here you go." A little run through the NCIC for any outstanding warrants and a "Thank you for your cooperation." That's the price you pay for living in a, as dadeo says, "low crime white neighborhood." and I'm OK with that because my family left the inner city years ago.
The difference is I'm not required to have ID on me. If a uniformed officer asks me to identify myself and I give him my name but don't have my ID on me he may or may not have an issue with that. He could very well want to follow me home to get my ID to prove who I am, but I'm not required to carry ID with me while walking my dog. Now if I'm doing any number of other things such as driving or hunting etc...I am required to have ID on me.
I'm not from New York so I guess I'd have issues there if they require you carry ID at all times.