Gerbing controller acting up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerbing controller acting up

Gerbing controller acting up

I’m on my way to Death Valley NP. Riding thru OR weather is really bad. Had to ride yesterday thru cold, rain, hail and lil bit of sun. Stopped to put up my gerbing heated gear. For some reason the light on controller just kept blinking and no heat. After several stops and tries it only works when I turn the knob to full heat. If I turn the knob to low heat light starts to flicker with no heat. Not sure what’s going on. I’m ready to leave here and have to ride 700 miles today. Most of it is going to be in cold. Really hope heated gear works.

When working it’s amazing thing. Even when it’s 30 or below, I couldn’t feel the freeze and am very comfortable and cud ride for days. Lol.

Anyone go thru same thing with gerbing or any other controller here. Thank you.

Your controller may be going bad, sounds like it.

I have the wireless and wired dual channel controllers (always have a spare).

Gerbing has a one year warranty on controllers. How long have you had yours?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Remember to start the bike before you turn on the controller.

IF, you have the permanent mount controller you will need to turn the knob to off for a reset. You can NOT leave the controller set all the time. If the bike is shut off the controller will also need to be turned off and not turned back on until after the bike has been restarted.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Remember to start the bike before you turn on the controller.
    Why is this? I never turn my controller off. I"ll try to remember this.

I've had my gear since 2010 and sometimes my right thumb is crotchety. It's on my to-do list to clean all the connections before winter gets here.

Although I sure used my gear a lot more before I had this beautiful bike with this beautiful fairing.

The controller has a "safety" built in that when voltage drops below a preset voltage it cuts off the power. When you turn the key on then hit the starter button, the draw from the starter drops the battery voltage below the preset. The safety will also kick in if the battery voltage drops because of a weak battery, to many lights at a low RPMs. It's ment to try and save the battery to keep the bike running.

I remember long ago when I used my Gerbing heated gear with my DL650, I had to be careful at idle since the draw of the heated gear exceeded what available current my bike was putting out... I always had to turn the controllers down low when that happened.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    Why is this? I never turn my controller off. I"ll try to remember this.
    I've had my gear since 2010 and sometimes my right thumb is crotchety. It's on my to-do list to clean all the connections before winter gets here.
    Although I sure used my gear a lot more before I had this beautiful bike with this beautiful fairing.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    IF, you have the permanent mount controller you will need to turn the knob to off for a reset. You can NOT leave the controller set all the time. If the bike is shut off the controller will also need to be turned off and not turned back on until after the bike has been restarted.

P.S.
    This seems to be an issue with the newer Controllers. I also have older units that could be left in the same position and when plugged back in would go right back to heating the gear.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

GaTeach
    Thanks to this thread I was looking up "how to blah blah blah Gerbing gear" and found out that there is a recall on my jacket. I emailed Gerbing and they emailed me right back!

My jacket was made in 2010, bought in 2011, recalled in 2013....and they are going to take care of it!!!!

Yay! Thanks y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    Thanks to this thread I was looking up "how to blah blah blah Gerbing gear" and found out that there is a recall on my jacket. I emailed Gerbing and they emailed me right back!

My jacket was made in 2010, bought in 2011, recalled in 2013....and they are going to take care of it!!!!

Yay! Thanks y'all!
    Jacket or Jacket liner?

On edit: I just found the recall. I have a Gerbing jacket liner too... I wonder if mine is affected?

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2013/ge...-jacket-liners

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537