Oil Capacity is 5 quarts on our engines.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Capacity is 5 quarts on our engines.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

Oil Capacity is 5 quarts on our engines.

I just discovered that the oil capacity for our engines is 5 quarts.

When changing your oil and filter, only 4 quarts drain out.

If the engine is split open and torn down, the last quart of oil will come out. A dry engine will require 5 quarts.

This means that every time you do an oil change, the motor ends up having 20% of old oil still inside of it.

Interesting bit of information. Regardless of the fact, Honda has designed these engines and created the maintenance schedule with this in mind.

That is interesting, I wouldn't thought that much would stay in the engine.

That is surprising to me as well. I do believe the manual specifies 3.9 qts. for oil change including filter. So far, I have done 2 oil changes and found that 3.9 qts. barely touches the bottom of the dip stick. For my bike, a full 4 qts. is not over-doing it at all. That is quite convenient since all I do now is pour in all 4 qts. Still, don't be surprised if you find it may even take another one or two tenths of a quart to get the level where you really want it. Thanks for the info, Phantom!

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Ken,

You are correct, the manual says to fill with 3.9 qts. For years I have been adding 4 quarts and have never worried about it. 3.9 qts has never been enough on my bikes either.

I think that maybe the extra quart is what is still clinging to the internals of the engine and oil pump. When rebuilding the engine with everything spick&span it would take extra oil to fill.cueman

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Not completely unusual for some oil to remain in the engine with drain plugs removed. Must be quite a few area's in the flat 6 that retain oil, as 20% is a bit on the highside overall.

Wonder how may folks will be putting 5 qt's in after an oil change now.

I was aware of this and have been..... I also raise the rear tire by putting a 2x8 under the center stand to help with oil drainage....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I was aware of this and have been..... I also raise the rear tire by putting a 2x8 under the center stand to help with oil drainage....
    Steve since you raise the back up with the 2x8 are you now adding more oil then the 3.9 - 4 quarts ?
    Ride it like you stole it

Given this subject matter, I just checked my records, as I keep all the maintenance records of all of my vehicles on an Excel spreadsheet, and I found that I have changed the oil and filter a total of 65 times on GL-1800 bikes I have owned or do own, and every time I change the oil...and filter...I simply install 4 quarts of oil. I understand that an engine tear down requires more oil. That makes sense. But by adding 4 quarts of oil at each and every oil and filter change, I have never had a problem of any kind, related to oil, on these GL-1800 engines.

65 oil and filter changes...of which 5 of them have been on this new F6B.

Cool

F6BRICH ------ This will hurt some feelings and start a fire storm.......The short answer is no.... I never check my oil...never saw the need...unless there is a puddle under your bike I assume it is OK. ..... and I have used this method for 40 years! on maybe 35 bikes! This " oil thing " is just something to pass the time for old folks..... Flame Suit On .......
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com