tire brand for looks - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tire brand for looks

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Put a couple hundred on the CT today which included many twisties, poor pavement, temp bridge grating, and under construction grooved pavement as well as some flat smooth pavement and speeds into the triple digits. The tire handled flawlessly and it is easy to forget it is back there. My VTX with a CT was not so nice and was very much a negative in multiple ways, not so with this bike. I don't know if it is the tire choice or the bike but barley noticeable that it is not a regular motorcycle tire, in fact much better then a crappy poor traction Shinko I had on it for a while. The only things that might be considered and they are minor are: Cons, a little more effort is required to fall into a curve at slow speeds. Maybe a bit of wander on straight flat smooth pavement if not paying attention, that's it! Pros, I think a little more lean angle is available now, but still touch down the pegs often. Traction is improved with no slippage off the line or dumping of the clutch. I'm running 42 pounds as that is what I've always run in my tires, so might experiment some with lower pressures but would be subprized to see an improvement. Another thought is maybe mount the Go Pro so I can see the tire in action because I wonder how much compression of the edge I'm experiencing. Wet pavement is yet to be experienced but I don;t push a bike in the wet anyway.
    The F8B was made for a car tire

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    There is a replacement Michelin with EXCELLENT reviews that would work and has very similar tread design with many sipes for water to exit, there is also the Pirelli winter tire (I have not seen any reviews)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
    Rolling the dice on your recommended Michelin...I don't know what would bother 53Driver more; dabbling on the Darkside or how skittish I am on the OEM Stones

Not sure I understand the desire to run a snow or ice tire when you will not be on snow or ice. From what I read a snow and ice tire gives up dry pavement traction to get better snow and ice traction. Also give up quite ride so might be noisy. Maybe those things don't matter on a bike.

Tire Brand for Looks

I'm still waiting for someone to be bold enough to put a whitewall on a F6B!!

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Not sure I understand the desire to run a snow or ice tire when you will not be on snow or ice. From what I read a snow and ice tire gives up dry pavement traction to get better snow and ice traction. Also give up quite ride so might be noisy. Maybe those things don't matter on a bike.
    From what I understand, Snow and Ice tires are made of a softer stickier rubber compound for greater traction on slippery surfaces. Hence why they only last 10-15 K miles on a car. If you read the reviews on the Michelin you will see that it gets a 8.5 out of 10 points in dry traction as well. Unlike a cage/box, the tire noise is not trapped or magnified on a bike. These tires tend to last 25,000+/- miles on a motorcycle for a fraction of the cost of a motorcycle tire that doesn't get as many miles.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

From what I understand, Snow and Ice tires are made of a softer stickier rubber compound for greater traction on slippery surfaces. Hence why they only last 10-15 K miles on a car. If you read the reviews on the Michelin you will see that it gets a 8.5 out of 10 points in dry traction as well. Unlike a cage/box, the tire noise is not trapped or magnified on a bike. These tires tend to last 25,000+/- miles on a motorcycle for a fraction of the cost of a motorcycle tire that doesn't get as many miles.
    +1

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    +1
    What's not to like about a car tire? They are the cats meow...

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

The snow tires do have better traction in cold temps and on snow and ice. A rubber compound that is less effected by really low temps is amazing. They are not as good as summer tires on warm asphalt or even wet pavement. Plenty good enough though. And Will I know you really wanted to say "best thing since sliced bread". LOL. I'm very happy with my change so far, will see how the mileage goes as my choice of tire is not known for long life.

The snow tires do have better traction in cold temps and on snow and ice. A rubber compound that is less effected by really low temps is amazing. They are not as good as summer tires on warm asphalt or even wet pavement. Plenty good enough though. And Will I know you really wanted to say "best thing since sliced bread". LOL. I'm very happy with my change so far, will see how the mileage goes as my choice of tire is not known for long life.

Just watch your tire pressure, especially when the ambient temperature fluctuates. Darkside is finicky. Today it was unexpectedly warm here, and my usual starting cold 28psi was at 30psi today; and I did some serious high speed driving. My rear tire pressure (I have Steelmate TPMS installed) registered 34psi on the rear, and coming home after a long run, I hit some nice curves and felt the rear slightly wash out a bit at the apex’s of them. Examined my Michellin afterwards and noticed that there was newer wear evidenced near the edges of the tread

So... in closing, the tire outer edge of the tread face must be able to maintain contact with the road surface during a turn/curve. It can only do this if the tire is pressured appropriately for the expected ambient temperatures, once you have determined the sweet spot for the cold pressure.

Too much pressure in a motorcycle mounted car tire =

Because of the stiffer sidewall... Run flat tire pressure can be anywhere fron 27-30psi cold, depending on your weight and cargo. I keep mine at 28psi... I may knock it down to 27psi and see how that works with riding like I experienced today.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I guess I will have to do some experimenting. I'm running 42 to start and very happy with the results, that is a huge diff from your 28. Mine is not a run flat so don't have the stiffer sidewalls that might really matter. One reason I choose this tire is the edges are a bit rounded, maybe that matters also.