New 2018 GOLDWING - Page 11
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New 2018 GOLDWING

Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiDan View Post
    No need to shift AT ALL on the DCT. HOWEVER, if you do desire to shift it anyway, there are small levers/buttons on the left grip that let you shift up/down as you want. And you can get a shift kit for your foot if you'd like to use that as well. But it is entirely optional! I have a CTX700 and many days cruising through LA I don't manually shift at all. Up in the mountains, however, I shift quite a bit to make sure I'm in the gear I want for the upcoming corner.
    Thank you very much, I appreciate the explanation of the DTC.

When first starting out with DTC do you need to shift down with the lever/button on the left handgrip to 1st gear in order for the trans to engage, or just twist the throttle? In other words, is there a neutral?

I just found this article on how the DCT works right before your post, but it doesn't answer my question above. Being you have hands on experience with DCT, I figured I'd ask.

Thank you very much,
    Joe

Circle-5
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    I'm guessing it's an air vent to help the 2 part windshield deflect the air.
    It's possible, but it lifts up an inch or two and stays horizontal ... odd position for a vent, plus it has no louvers. Wingstuff thinks it might be some kind of sensor. Anyway, I'm going to the official presentation at Honda HQ in Torrance tomorrow, so I'll ask if somebody knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    It's possible, but it lifts up an inch or two and stays horizontal ... odd position for a vent, plus it has no louvers. Wingstuff thinks it might be some kind of sensor. Anyway, I'm going to the official presentation at Honda HQ in Torrance tomorrow, so I'll ask if somebody knows.
    Looks pretty much like a vent to me, and if it goes up/down an 1" or 2" maybe it's to direct the wind at your face or not. I'm thinking it could also be to deflect the wind coming under the backside of the screen, maybe. Anyway, can't wait to read your impressions after going to the HQ in Torrance tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by druggr View Post
    It's has aluminum cylinder sleeves

Anyone know what kind of life those have. Wasn't that what made the Chevy Vega a failure ??? Hopefully the technology today is different.
    One would hope that since the Vega is 40+ years old there have been improvements to the tech

It's a little thing, but I like the Homelink garage door opener which is now a built in option

Good News on Gear Ratios

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyWho View Post
    Yeah I really hope that's not the case, what's the freaking point. I never understood all those people who cried a 6th gear, by making 5 a taller ratio you'd get the same final outcome.

The final ratio of the 7 Speed DCT and the new 6 Speed appear to be the same.
    What I originally saw must have been a mis-print. It doesn't make any sense to add a gear without lowering the rpms.

The more correct info shows top gear at 60mph will be at about 2000 rpms, vs 2550. Yea!!!! BTW, this was calculated by someone. There is a graph in this link that clearly shows top gear is a whole step above our old top gear.

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/picture...00-tour-79.jpg

The DCT version will probably downshift instantly whenever you goose it. The manual version will of course need our input.

Here is a new to me link with some of this:

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2018-ho...automatic-bike

So, higher top gear, smaller bags, better gas mileage, more power, lighter bike, better looking seat, too many electronics - everything I could want. I'm thinking Tour model with trunk removal kit. Don't know about DCT vs manual.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    WOW, they have created a "in-house" after market business plan.
    Many of those accessories were produced by after market vendors in the past.
    I love competition!...better products, more choices for consumers

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    WOW, they have created a "in-house" after market business plan.
    Many of those accessories were produced by after market vendors in the past.
    It's funny to me that there was a big scramble back in 2013 when they changed from circular shaped driving lights to rectangular. With this new machine, they're back to round ones again. Glad I'm not in the business of selling rectangular driving lights.

Vega

Quote Originally Posted by druggr View Post
    It's has aluminum cylinder sleeves

Anyone know what kind of life those have. Wasn't that what made the Chevy Vega a failure ??? Hopefully the technology today is different.
    i had a Chevy Vega - it was a LEMON....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    i had a Chevy Vega - it was a LEMON....lol
    How many miles were on it when the engine when kaput ?