New 2018 GOLDWING - Page 6
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2018 GOLDWING

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hand View Post
    WOW, they have created a "in-house" after market business plan.
    Many of those accessories were produced by after market vendors in the past.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

Did someone ask about ... PAINT quality for these 2018 models ?

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hand View Post
    That’s what I heard too.

I would buy a tour and a trunk delete kit. F6B for 95% of time, throw on trunk when my wife and I do a trip together. Can’t take that long to switch. Hour tops? Cant wait to find out!
    According to one of the videos the Honda rep says that it takes four hours to remove the trunk. Not very practical, but would work if you really wanted it.

900 bucks to add the full tour trunk. Expensive as hell, but that's a really nice modular option. At first glance, looks like Honda did a fantastic job. I can't wait to test the lighter bike with a DCT. Holy crap acceleration should be comfortable and quick.

My only real gripe so far are the factory upper and lower wind deflectors. Honda should've taken a page out of Yamaha's book on those. They are really well integrated and about the only thing I truly like about the new Yamaha. Honda's look cheap and bolt-on, imo.

The other main curiosity will be the rider triangle. It looks like there is lots more room at the toes. I wonder if the ergos will be as fixed as prior models. That's the Goldie's only real shortcoming imo. Stock moveable pegs and moveable bars would change everything.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    900 bucks to add the full tour trunk. Expensive as hell, but that's a really nice modular option. At first glance, looks like Honda did a fantastic job. I can't wait to test the lighter bike with a DCT. Holy crap acceleration should be comfortable and quick.

My only real gripe so far are the factory upper and lower wind deflectors. Honda should've taken a page out of Yamaha's book on those. They are really well integrated and about the only thing I truly like about the new Yamaha. Honda's look cheap and bolt-on, imo.

The other main curiosity will be the rider triangle. It looks like there is lots more room at the toes. I wonder if the ergos will be as fixed as prior models. That's the Goldie's only real shortcoming imo. Stock moveable pegs and moveable bars would change everything.

Jason
    I might be wrong... but I think it is $855 for the install kit and $900 for the trunk??
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

Quote Originally Posted by broncsrule21 View Post
    I might be wrong... but I think it is $855 for the install kit and $900 for the trunk??
    I think you might be right. I just glanced through the accessories. Yowsers, lol.

Jason

At first blush, the look is nice. And the electronics have been BEGGING for an update for YEARS, so I'm glad to see that come along. But, since they let the last e-package wither on the vine for a decade or more, you know that they'll likely do the same with this lot just because they got away with it before.

I foresee troubles ahead over this generator/starter arrangement. Aluminum jacketed cylinders give me the same sense of foreboding too. And, yes....as stated earlier by someone else, that IS what killed the Vega as well as the Triumph TR7/8 (well, that and the thin aluminum engine blocks among other things too numerous to get into right now)

My guess is that whole extra inch or so of legroom won't even be enough to be noticed by most who've been having troubles with it in the past (like myself)

New front suspension...Good The present model front end wobble gets old fast.

10 years free map updates.....what they're really saying is that they intend to stop supporting the mapping information in total after ten years. A problem for those who are considering homesteading on this model. (I've an '05 Chrysler that was similarly thrown to the wolves 7 years ago. Kinda annoying to sit there staring at a worthless GPS screen all the time)

CarPlay and bluetooth....good (see above)

Fly-by-wire and transponder ignition...it's about frigging time.

No mention (unless I missed it) of air filter position/replacement....which no doubt means it's still gonna be a 7 hour job or a $400 shop charge as it has been all along.

And.....from watching the accessories video, I wonder if the saddlebags are of smaller capacity than present day. They kind of look like it.

So....will I buy one? Nope, not this time. Aluminum cylinder sleeves have proven terribly unreliable in the long run. And, to be honest, I WANT the heavier wider longer bike I am currently calling home. If I wanted short, light, and skinny, I'd go buy a BMW. I KNOW my ride can make 100k+....the new one? meh...maybe yes, maybe no.

I'll let the rest of you play guinea pig for a few years.

.....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Here it is

Here it is a new Goldwing ' 2018!!!
    https://powersports.honda.com/2018/gold-wing.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyWho View Post
    The fuel capacity is listed at 5.5 gallons. Did they drop 1.1 gallons from its predecessors ?

UPDATE: This video confirms the fuel tank is 1.1. gallons smaller =(. Its range needs to be increased. Refuel stops come way too often. https://www.facebook.com/HondaPowers...1718970537660/

Also, no running/turn/stop lights on the trunk.

If memory serves, the Vega engine was good for @ 50K miles.

Not too keen on the keyless ignition (batteries fail). How long before its protocols will be cracked like what is being done with cars today ?

Wind/rain protection looks iffy.

Hope their lights work well, because it doesn't look like their will be any alternative aftermarket options.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    The fuel capacity is listed at 5.5 gallons. Did they drop 1.1 gallons from its predecessors ?

UPDATE: This video confirms the fuel tank is 1.1. gallons smaller =(. Its range needs to be increased. Refuel stops come way too often. https://www.facebook.com/HondaPowers...1718970537660/

Also, no running/turn/stop lights on the trunk.

If memory serves, the Vega engine was good for @ 50K miles.

Not too keen on the keyless ignition (batteries fail). How long before its protocols will be cracked like what is being done with cars today ?

Wind/rain protection looks iffy.

Hope their lights work well, because it doesn't look like their will be any alternative aftermarket options.
    THey are claiming the fuel economy will offset the smaller tank and provide the same range as the previous model.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"