New 2018 GOLDWING - Page 9
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New 2018 GOLDWING

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post

Yeah ,the weight would be part of that 20% higher fuel economy.
    The total weight decrease will deliver the same fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdaniel View Post
    The '18 B replacement is $7K more than I paid for my zero miles '16. I'm fine with what's in my garage.
    As my 2013 F6B-Deluxe is custom painted, Mustang lower seat, Cobra pipes, K&N filter, Kuryakyn grips, glove box cover, and other "bling", is paid for, I will keep it for now unless I find $25,000 lying around somewhere....I really like the new models, but not enough at this point to back into debt.....JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    Here's a test ride on a track. The rider loves it. It sounds great.

https://youtu.be/nM7d7ux_6yE

Jason
    The older Goldwing in the video has a windshield wiper. I have never seen that before.

They talk about better wind protection from their new shield (which has been already accomplished by MadStad).

They talk about eliminating the nose dive (which has already been accomplished by Traxxion).

No discussion if they fixed the handlebar position (which has already been accomplished by adjustable risers).

4 hour trunk removal is a no-op. No running, brake, turn signals on trunk is another questionable choice.

If the 6th gear is not an overdrive, see no need for it, just extra work.

26% less storage capacity.

I was hoping for better fuel range and the appearance from the picts don't grab me, maybe seeing it in real life will be different.

I don't see much there that would tempt me to buy one over my currently modded F6B. May let others be the point men on discovering the potential new model gremlins (including the longevity of the sleeved cylinders).

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    The older Goldwing in the video has a windshield wiper. I have never seen that before.
    Japanese Goldwing. I think the wiper is a JDOT requirement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCc0sQ1ZjQw

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    As my 2013 F6B-Deluxe is custom painted, Mustang lower seat, Cobra pipes, K&N filter, Kuryakyn grips, glove box cover, and other "bling", is paid for, I will keep it for now unless I find $25,000 lying around somewhere....I really like the new models, but not enough at this point to back into debt.....JMHO
    If you find $25,000.00 lying around somewhere, it was mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    If you find $25,000.00 lying around somewhere, it was mine!!
    I found $10,000 cash with a big, brightly colored rubber band around it................................................ .....................identify the color of the rubber band and I will send it to you.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

Some Facts ......

20%: Reduction in clutch-operation load on the 2018 Honda Gold Wing

6: Number of cylinders in the prototype engine for the original GL. (The production version would have four cylinders, though the engine grew to six cylinders in 1988.)

5.3 lbs.: Reduction in weight achieved through use of an Integrated Starter Generator system (ISG) on the 2018 Gold Wing, combining the generator and starter-motor functions

43rd: Anniversary that the Gold Wing is celebrating in the 2018 model year

SCM440H: Name of the high-strength steel-alloy material used for the 2018 Gold Wing’s crankshaft, which enabled Honda engineers to reduce the component’s dimensions

CRF450R: Honda model (an award-winning, high-performance motocrosser) from which the 2018 Gold Wing’s Unicam® valve-train design was borrowed

1.1: Number of gallons by which the 2018 Gold Wing’s fuel-tank capacity was reduced without sacrificing range, thereby improving performance and handling

999cc: Engine displacement of the original 1975 GL1000 Gold Wing

20%: Improvement in fuel economy for the 2018 Gold Wing during testing

13.7 lbs.: Amount by which weight has been reduced on the 2018 manual-transmission Gold Wing’s engine

7: Number of speeds in the 2018 Gold Wing’s advanced automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)

.75 mph: Speed at which the 2018 Gold Wing travels when in Reverse Walking Mode

$2,899: MSRP for the original, 1975 Gold Wing GL1000

4: Number of riding modes on the 2018 Honda Gold Wing: Tour, Sport, Econ, and Rain

7 inches: Size of the 2018 Gold Wing’s full-color Thin Film Transistor (TFT) liquid-crystal display

1,000: Number of miles Cycle magazine rode their 1988 GL1500 test unit in a single day for a story

4: Number of electric preload suspension-adjustment settings for the 2018 Gold Wing Tour: Rider, Rider + Luggage, Rider + Passenger, Rider + Passenger + Luggage

+80 lbs.: Amount by which weight has been reduced on the 2018 version, compared to its predecessor

Project 371: Prototype code name of the Shoichiro Irimajiri-led development project for the original Gold Wing

30%: Reduction in shock transmitted from the road surface to the handlebars on the 2018 Honda Gold Wing, thanks to the double-wishbone front-suspension system

4.4 lbs.: Amount by which weight was reduced in the Gold Wing frame and swingarm for 2018

110 liters: Total capacity of the saddlebags and rear trunk on 2018 Gold Wing Tour models (note: that is down from 147 liters in the 2017 Goldwing)
    Does anyone know if the changing of the "nightmare" air filter job is still a royal PITA!??

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I found $10,000 cash with a big, brightly colored rubber band around it................................................ .....................identify the color of the rubber band and I will send it to you.
    Mustard Yellow?
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Indicated RPM at 60MPH: 2,550. Isn't that what we have now? Adding a 6th gear just so we shift more doesn't sound good. What am I missing?
    Yeah I really hope that's not the case, what's the freaking point. I never understood all those people who cried a 6th gear, by making 5 a taller ratio you'd get the same final outcome.

The final ratio of the 7 Speed DCT and the new 6 Speed appear to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyWho View Post
    Yeah I really hope that's not the case, what's the freaking point. I never understood all those people who cried a 6th gear, by making 5 a taller ratio you'd get the same final outcome.

The final ratio of the 7 Speed DCT and the new 6 Speed appear to be the same.
    Hmmm. I wonder why they are keeping top gear rpms about the same....? Perhaps those revs match up to the engine's power band? Therefore, no need for a shift to pass? The Yamaha TC turns about those r's at 70 mph...but that's wide open for that thing

20% increase in mpg means that loafers like me should be getting near 50 mpg on the new model. I am leery of fuel mileage claims derived from "testing". They never seem to pan out. I remember Yamaha claiming that their performance four-stroke RX-1 snowmobile would deliver 25 mpg when it was released in 2003. I bought one, and never broke 20 mpg.

I am glad they kept the flat-6. If there's a theme on this and other GW forums, its that the six makes up for a lot of our old bikes' shortcomings, such as the stereo, ABS, cruise, etc. I know that motors are a significant factor in any motorcycle purchase decision, but this one especially. I know its what brought me to the Honda dealer from the Victory dealer.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6