Who's BUYING the new 2018 Goldwing? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who's BUYING the new 2018 Goldwing?

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    How does a DCT engine brake in the mountain twisties ?
    Very well, until your revs fall below ~1200 RPM the bike is always in gear. Downshift with a flick of a thumb and you're engine braking as well as you would with a manual! The DCT is NOT an automatic with a torque converter - it is a pair of honest-to-god clutches, one on each spindle of gears. Half your gears on one spindle, the other half on the other spindle. The computer (in auto mode) determines when to shift up or down. It will engage the clutch, shift the appropriate spindle, then release the clutch all in about 50 milliseconds. And it holds going downhill REALLY well, as it senses the load on the engine and will NOT upshift unless you near redline.

The ONLY difference (other than not needed to squeeze a clutch and twiddle your foot) with a manual is feathering a clutch at low speeds. However, dragging your rear brake does about 99% of the same thing, and after an hour with a DCT doing really slow-speed stuff - I had no problems at all and felt I lost nothing compared to a manual bike. Other than the need to squeeze the clutch lever 200 times a block in thick downtown LA traffic...

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    I thought you didn't have to shift like in a car with an automatic transmission. When you go downhill in a car, the only way to engine brake is by manually downshifting, else you keep gaining speed depending on the grade.
    That depends on the setup in question. I had a Hyundai Velostar, or whatever that POS was, for a rental and if you weren't actually on the gas it would engine brake. That car did not coast for s%$t, and several newer cars have an engine brake setting on the gear selector.

The standard Goldwing with DCT is not available here in Canada. Only available on the "Tour" models. Otherwise I might be tempted.
    2013 F6B in black of course

That's brutal and will hopefully change in a year or two following the outcry! Small market/population Canada gets screwed -- guess Honda Canada figured they'd bring one base model in rather than having two models and stock unsold. Oh well, at least we had ABS on our F6Bs when our friends down south didn't. Just our turn to feel some pain this time around I suppose.

Circle-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    Oh well, at least we had ABS on our F6Bs when our friends down south didn't.
    Yes, you certainly did. I am reminded of this pro-Canadian favoritism every day! As for the 2018s, I think many buyers will go for the full Wing (The "Tour") anyway and remove the top case to make it a bagger. I costs about the same as doing it in reverse (buying the standard model and adding the top case and all the stuff that needs to go with it, center stand etc.). Plus the Tour gives you extra electronic ride features you don't get on the basic.

Of course, there's that pesky detail of coming up with about $30,000, but I'm told that everyone on the F6B Riders forum is super-smart and independently wealthy, so that should not be an obstacle.

I'm good with my F6B for a while. It's paid for and warrantied till the middle of 2021. Don't know what I would do with six speeds on this motor anyway.

[QUOTE=GeorgeJetson;158941]
    Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    I is.
    Was seriously looking at the K1600B until last night.
    but....with a
    6-speed manual
    Pearl Stallion Brown
    Apple Car Play
    NAV
    8 year warranty
    no fork seal problems (Michigan Roads)

I gotta believe the paint will be great as they are now referring to it as "Premium."

I was kind of thinking the same thing .. the K1600B was looking pretty good, but I like the new F6B (Gold Wing) better.
    I love the new bikes and I'm deciding on a red Goldwing or the red Goldwing Tour and taking the trunk off. I will absolutely not be getting rid of my blue Goldwing F6B or my new K1600B or anything else. I love my other motorcycles and have them set up just the way I want and I would regret getting rid of them when they have so much more enjoyment left in them. My only frustration is that I like the blacked out version of the base model, but I want the electronic suspension modes of the touring model, but don't like the chromed out look. Decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by DaWadd View Post
    The standard Goldwing with DCT is not available here in Canada. Only available on the "Tour" models. Otherwise I might be tempted.
    A local dealer here in Vancouver is offering the DCT option on the Goldwing in their Craigslist ad. May just be a misprint.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    I is.
    Was seriously looking at the K1600B until last night.
    but....with a
    6-speed manual
    Pearl Stallion Brown
    Apple Car Play
    NAV
    8 year warranty
    no fork seal problems (Michigan Roads)

I gotta believe the paint will be great as they are now referring to it as "Premium."

Thanks for posting that. I've been trying to figure out WTF Pearl Stallion Brown was.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmetoc View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I've been trying to figure out WTF Pearl Stallion Brown was.
    Harley Davidson has a similar color and they call it "RootBeer"

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.