Why are most choosing snow tire - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are most choosing snow tire

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    What BRAND and model tires are they testing ? There are crappy all season, summer and snow tires out there as well. Like every product ... some are superior to similar products within the same category.
    Specifics please

Other wise this information is coming from Russia

Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 all-season tires or, for $200 more, Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 high-performance summer tires, both in size 215/45R17. And Michelin builds an aftermarket snow tire in that very size, the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3.

Here is the link for the Edmunds test. Next is a short statement as to what Discount Tire Direct has to say.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...vs-summer.html

Winter tires are far superior to all-season tires when it comes to driving in dry, wet, snow, sleet, and icy winter conditions. Summer tires excel in both dry and wet warm weather conditions, but become too stiff in cold weather to be able to provide reliable performance. Regardless of road conditions, once temperatures drop below 45 degrees, winter tires provide the most reliable performance over any all-season or summer tire. Winter tires are so specialized for winter that they do not perform as well in warm, dry conditions, and will likely wear very rapidly. It is recommended that you install summer or all-season tires as soon as the weather is consistently above 45 degrees.

I do NOT run a Snow tire.

This is just me doing my thing, your needs may be different.

I do NOT run a Snow tire, because I want max grip for the 90% of the time when I need it. The other 10% when it is wet I am already going slow due to conditions.
    I have felt the smaller tread blocks of a snow tire flex more and I don't care for that feeling when leaned over hard in a long sweeping curve. For me the large solid section of rubber on a summer tire and holds better.

I run a Summer tires. I look at it as the more solid rubber in contact with the asphalt will give me the most DRY traction. There are enough sipes in a summer tire to give me decent wet traction and as I stated above, in wet I am already at a decreased speed and surely not scraping pegs.
    I have a good amount of Car Tire experience with 3 different tires on 2 different bikes and somewhere around 80,000. miles but again this is just me and my way.

One last useless bit of info, if more tread blocks gave better traction, why do all race tires look more like slicks?

Nexen
    Kumho Ecsta run flat
    Yokohama ZPS
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    This is just me doing my thing, your needs may be different.

I do NOT run a Snow tire, because I want max grip for the 90% of the time when I need it. The other 10% when it is wet I am already going slow due to conditions.
    I have felt the smaller tread blocks of a snow tire flex more and I don't care for that feeling when leaned over hard in a long sweeping curve. For me the large solid section of rubber on a summer tire and holds better.

I run a Summer tires. I look at it as the more solid rubber in contact with the asphalt will give me the most DRY traction. There are enough sipes in a summer tire to give me decent wet traction and as I stated above, in wet I am already at a decreased speed and surely not scraping pegs.
    I have a good amount of Car Tire experience with 3 different tires on 2 different bikes and somewhere around 80,000. miles but again this is just me and my way.

One last useless bit of info, if more tread blocks gave better traction, why do all race tires look more like slicks?
    I share your thoughts on this topic. My 6 is my third cycle to wear a car tire! Like you, I've accumulated over 80K miles on the Dark Side but have never used a run-flat or snow tire. Summer thread tires with adequate "rain grooves and siping" have provided great performance and longevity, something I could never get from a Cycle Tire. My first attempt at Dark Siding was my Yamaha Stratoliner S with a Good Year Triple Thread. That tire provided acceptable performance but felt like a "cinder block" on the rear. Never did wear out the tire as I traded that bike for a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe which was quickly fitted with a Federal Summer Tire and handled so well I mounted a identical Federal after the first wore out! My 6 has been fitted with a General G-Max from almost day one of ownership. Removed the stock tire after 1100 miles and have never looked back. I'm about to install my third Max as the second Max is ready for replacement. For me, the greatest pleasure of Dark Siding is having a large array of tire thread patterns available in either standard radials or run-flats, should I choose that route.

From what I've read and digested, the move to "winter tires" was the result of a "more motorcycle tire like feeling" provided by the "stiffer run-flat side walls". That said I'll be the first to admit that single ply sidewall radial summer tires can produce some "squirm" but that is usually remedied with the "right and higher pressure" for achieving a "sweet spot"! Im my case that's usually 43PSI in the Max.

Ride Safe

bob109

Hmmm..

These last two posts now have me thinking/reconsidering my snow tire. Well... guess I'll get rid of it...

...if it EVER wears out.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    From what I've read and digested, the move to "winter tires" was the result of a "more motorcycle tire like feeling" provided by the "stiffer run-flat side walls". That said I'll be the first to admit that single ply sidewall radial summer tires can produce some "squirm" but that is usually remedied with the "right and higher pressure" for achieving a "sweet spot"! Im my case that's usually 43PSI in the Max.
    Ride Safe
    bob109
    Bob, I was looking at the General G-Max after reading the good review you gave it but fell into a deal on the Yokohama.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Bob, I was looking at the General G-Max after reading the good review you gave it but fell into a deal on the Yokohama.
    You have a "good tire" in the Yokohama

Ok started this thread thinking snow tire guys wrong, now knowing how often I ride in below 45 degree days more confused than ever. My current ride elite 4 on front, with a super traction on dry contineltal on rear both today in no after spirited 50 miles warm to touch and were fun few degrees from peg dragging

Quote Originally Posted by lake_carl View Post
    Ok started this thread thinking snow tire guys wrong, now knowing how often I ride in below 45 degree days more confused than ever. My current ride elite 4 on front, with a super traction on dry contineltal on rear both today in no after spirited 50 miles warm to touch and were fun few degrees from peg dragging
    You can't go wrong with either a summer or winter tire on the back of your F6B. Buy the tire that predominately fits the climate/weather/riding that you're in.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537