CHEROKEE NC, 2018 Rally info.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: CHEROKEE NC, 2018 Rally info....

I am sure there will be multiple rides each day. I do a lot of riding in southern Colorado and I also use Microsoft Streets and Trips for a lot of my riding. If there are specific places you want to ride to and there aren't rides going there I would be more than happy to let you help you with a gpx file of the interesting roads to where you want to visit. I consider myself a moderate speed rider, not really spirited but not slow and if you are up fora 400 mile day it opens up a lot of neat areas that are day rides from Cortez. There is really a tremendous amount of really great things to see in this area so I am sure there will be something available for every type of rider.

Even though I am familiar with the area I to am eagerly anticipating the rally and a chance to see and visit with everyone. See you in August.

Az Wingrider

rally west

I just confirmed my reservation for the show out west, wish I could do east also, but Labor Day weekend is our biggest show of the year and no kitchen passes allowed then. 400 miles makes for a nice day out here. no rush and lots to see in that amount of time. Looking forward to finally seeing another B on the road.'
    NMRed
    IBA# 63255

Farthest west, so far, was Yellowstone and the farthest south was 2016 Rally, so , looking forward to Co. Will be a 3 day ride for me.
    Looks like their are a lot of Nation Forests NW of Denver, still early but looks like my routes are 80 out of Des Moines, heading west, or 90 to around Sturgis and then head south and run threw some of that forest area, down to Cortez ? 80 would be my best bet to catch some riders for company...
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Farthest west, so far, was Yellowstone and the farthest south was 2016 Rally, so , looking forward to Co. Will be a 3 day ride for me.
    Looks like their are a lot of Nation Forests NW of Denver, still early but looks like my routes are 80 out of Des Moines, heading west, or 90 to around Sturgis and then head south and run threw some of that forest area, down to Cortez ? 80 would be my best bet to catch some riders for company...
    FOR THE Colorado guys, one of the routes I am working on is to go south from Gillette Wy. and follow the below Google map link to Cortez,

https://goo.gl/maps/1bwUqswpMTt, does it seem feasible, are their a lot of unpaved roads in the national parks any problems w/my route in August... ? Thanks in advance.

FOR THE Colorado guys, one of the routes I am working on is to go south from Gillette Wy. and follow the below Google map link to Cortez,

https://goo.gl/maps/1bwUqswpMTt, does it seem feasible, are their a lot of unpaved roads in the national parks any problems w/my route in August... ? Thanks in advance.
    If you stick with this route you might want to consider hitting Devils Tower since you will be so close. If not, then I would suggest heading south on US-85 out of the Black Hills. A little shorter and more interesting than going over to Gillette, and you'll make the trip just as fast. Guernsey and Ft. Laramie are interesting areas from the days of the wagon trains. The Register Cliff Monument is some interesting history.

Ride from Laramie down to Walden is very nice up over the mountain, and -125 over Willow Creek Pass down to Granby is a very nice ride also. I would consider getting off I-70 at Copper Mountain, riding to Leadville to Twin Lakes and over Independence Pass (awesome) to Aspen to Carbondale, and then -133 over McClure Pass as you have planned (great road with lots of sweepers). Rest of your routing is great.

No dirt roads on the route you have selected from the Black Hills and I think you will really enjoy it. I have ridden all of those roads.

B'ster.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Thank you F6Bster !!!!!!!!
    Been to Devils tower a few times during the many Rally's.

Choptop,

F6Bster is right on with his advice and your route is very solid. His advice about riding from Twin Lakes to Aspen over Independence Pass is very good, that is a great ride and the pavement is good. As you get closer to Aspen the road becomes narrow so watch out for cages. Also I would advise topping off with gas in Gillette because it is 115 miles to Douglas with no gas.

Looking good
    Az wingrider

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    Choptop,

F6Bster is right on with his advice and your route is very solid. His advice about riding from Twin Lakes to Aspen over Independence Pass is very good, that is a great ride and the pavement is good. As you get closer to Aspen the road becomes narrow so watch out for cages. Also I would advise topping off with gas in Gillette because it is 115 miles to Douglas with no gas.

Looking good
    Az wingrider
    Funny story, spent more time and frustration getting google map to get me from Leadville to Aspen, wasn't happening till I noticed that that road is closed from Oct - May and that must mean Google won't let me plot a route threw Independence pass at this time. Thanks for the heads up on the road and the gas !

Funny story, spent more time and frustration getting google map to get me from Leadville to Aspen, wasn't happening till I noticed that that road is closed from Oct - May and that must mean Google won't let me plot a route threw Independence pass at this time. Thanks for the heads up on the road and the gas !
    New route has me heading SW from Sturgis on 85, and then over to Laramie. I will gas up as much as I can. Have a lot more reading and info gathering to do !

Just pulled up Independence Pass on Google terrain and zoomed in, damn, quite a road !
    Good morning, Chop. Enjoy that ride, but be sure to bring some warm clothes! Most likely a bit of snow in the peaks. My ride thru the Beartooth pass, last June, was miserable. 35 degrees, sleet, snow, and high crosswinds. Hope you don't have that stuff.