First DS experience - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First DS experience

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I have played around with the idea of DS tire but hesitate. First, I have the full Monty on my bike and don't want to lose that precision in my ride. Second, I'm not sure what tire and brand to put on the bike. One poster took the recommendation of snow/ice from another post and that didn't work out well. When you go to other threads the recommendations are all over the place.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I have the full Monty also and with my current limited DS experience I would definitely go with a run flat. The tire I'm currently running is way to soft for me. Otherwise I only noticed a slight adjustment once I actually relaxed a little on the CT. By and large once you stop thinking about it it's a minimal adjustment and the handling characteristics of the bike are pretty much the same. I personally don't care for the squiggly feeling this particular tire gives me at odd times. I'm going to swap back to my OEM this week while researching what CT to try next. I would recommend picking up a second rim if you don't already have one and use it for CT experiments until you either find one you like or decide it's not for you. That way you can readily swap back if needed. That's what I'm doing and if a run flat removes that squiggly feeling I'll most likely stay on the darkside. It's worth the experiment either way. I honestly feel that the bike is more responsive and snaps out of corners better with the CT than the OEM. I can also definitely feel the CT grabbing better in low traction situations. On the downside the squishy squiggly feeling this tire gives me is unnerving and the bike seems to crab when the road has bad grooves. I want to try a stiffer side wall tire and see if it clears up my issues before I give up on the DS.

Nothing ventured nothing gained, don't let the naysayers dissuade you from forming your own opinion. Just do your research. I'm not happy with this particular tire, which is a snow/ice tire, however I did not do enough research on my own before I bought it. Several others on this board run snow/ice tires and luv them. It appears that the particular tire I bought no one else had tried so it was a new experience for all. My next CT will be something more tried an true.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    I have the full Monty also and with my current limited DS experience I would definitely go with a run flat. The tire I'm currently running is way to soft for me. Otherwise I only noticed a slight adjustment once I actually relaxed a little on the CT. By and large once you stop thinking about it it's a minimal adjustment and the handling characteristics of the bike are pretty much the same. I personally don't care for the squiggly feeling this particular tire gives me at odd times. I'm going to swap back to my OEM this week while researching what CT to try next. I would recommend picking up a second rim if you don't already have one and use it for CT experiments until you either find one you like or decide it's not for you. That way you can readily swap back if needed. That's what I'm doing and if a run flat removes that squiggly feeling I'll most likely stay on the darkside. It's worth the experiment either way. I honestly feel that the bike is more responsive and snaps out of corners better with the CT than the OEM. I can also definitely feel the CT grabbing better in low traction situations. On the downside the squishy squiggly feeling this tire gives me is unnerving and the bike seems to crab when the road has bad grooves. I want to try a stiffer side wall tire and see if it clears up my issues before I give up on the DS.

Nothing ventured nothing gained, don't let the naysayers dissuade you from forming your own opinion. Just do your research. I'm not happy with this particular tire, which is a snow/ice tire, however I did not do enough research on my own before I bought it. Several others on this board run snow/ice tires and luv them. It appears that the particular tire I bought no one else had tried so it was a new experience for all. My next CT will be something more tried an true.
    Thanks for your info. Please post on here after you try other tires. I would like to here about your experiences.

soooooo, you go to the "dark side" (aka car tires that are not built to lean over) because the tires are cheaper & they last longer ?? I think, I would try another hobby where my moneys not such a issue..............just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    soooooo, you go to the "dark side" (aka car tires that are not built to lean over) because the tires are cheaper & they last longer ?? I think, I would try another hobby where my moneys not such a issue..............just sayin'
    Someone once also said.. "man was not meant to fly"

Keep living in a box, you'll never enjoy new experiences.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Someone once also said.. "man was not meant to fly"

Keep living in a box, you'll never enjoy new experiences.
    And that "Wisdom" comes from a "Once Critic of the Dark Side".........."just sayin"

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    And that "Wisdom" comes from a "Once Critic of the Dark Side".........."just sayin"
    So true. I eventually learned to climb out of the box that I was in.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Will....

What CT are you currently running?

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    Will....

What CT are you currently running?
    Michelin Alpine 3 Run Flat

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

The bike leaned fine and seemed to snap upright faster leaving corners. My main issue was the "squishy" feeling. The concept was sound and had I experimented with a better tire I most likely would still be running one. I'll revisit the issue next rear tire although I must say the 888's I'm running feel awesome.