Just how good is your F6B? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just how good is your F6B?

Not "good" - "GREAT!!!"

Isleen is amazing by herself.
    Just sitting, waiting, in all her black beauty.
    Underneath, her flat 6 and Traxxion suspension wait for their cue.
    Turn her on and her light show is awesome and she purrs in anxious anticipation.
    Together we are a match made by the riding gods.
    We enjoy each other and showing off each other.

...and now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Hi Drive Jehu;

Best bike I ever owned...handles like a Mini, rides like a Cadillac! I have ridden this bike further in one day than any other in my riding life. 1070 miles in 16 1/2 hours with no intention to do this at start up, it just happened! One of those days where " I can do a few more miles, it's still early..." Next thing I knew I was only 4 hours from home. No sense stopping now!

Kasperwing wrote;
    "At 64 now, realizing that my skills will never be what they were, and to go down now, it will be much harder to heal... so doing everything to be safe makes so much sense!""

This is exactly how I feel and why I'm an ATGATT rider. At 70 Bohn Armor, Kevlar reinforced pants and jacket, modular helmet, gloves and riding boots are my best bet against a survivable crash that will end my riding.

All that and a great handling and comfortable bike sure make for a great ride!

WEG

new or used?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperwing View Post
    Drive Jehu, thanks for writing that. I need ideas and insight also. I will be buying a new or used F6B in the next 4 to 8 months. I have been wanting one since 2013. I prefer the F6B set up over the full GW. I am struggling whether to buy a used 6B, or wait for the new one....this both from the financial side and knowing what ABS did for me in the past.

{ I used to be able to drag the saddle bags on my BMW K bike. I rode everywhere regardless of weather. More than once at night, behaving, and taking it easy, ABS kept me from going down. This happened when coming to a stop on roads where it was impossible to know how much friction was available etc.}

At 64 now, realizing that my skills will never be what they were, and to go down now, it will be much harder to heal... so doing everything to be safe makes so much sense!

Yet I know that the bike you ride is so great! Right now there are such awesome deals on low milage bikes. Saving over 10K is no small deal. ON the other hand, like many here say, the next bike will be the last. I just sold the last BMW I will ever own. I want a bike that is reliable and safe. I can wait about 4~8 months, save up, and pay cash for the new 6B with ABS. So its a hard decision. If it does have the Duo-Lever on the front, that is also an Incredible step forward in ride compliance, safety, increased fun factor. I weigh all of this against the fact that in 10 to 15 years I won't want to ride so much due to decreasing physical abilities. So I am thinking of getting the new 6B, and ride it into the ground so to speak. It should cost less to own over time... i am guessing.

Thoughts?
    Kasperwing, I had not seen the Honda film you posted - thanks I enjoyed it. New or used? It depends on what will satisfy you. My 2013 F6B was my second new bike purchase in 40 plus years of riding. The first was an early 80's XL 125 that would not die. Other bikes, 750 Shadow, GL1500 and a pile of dirt bikes starting with a girly sparkle blue Trail 70 (when the cool bike was an XR75) were all used. It is normal that I still want a silver tank XR75, right?

It's great getting a new scoot, but heck some of the used one's have an extended warranty with very few miles. As for miles I don't think any of us will find the limit on how far an F6B will go - show me a worn out Honda GL1800. The introduction of a new F6B is exciting but I would rather not own a major redesign of anything in it's first year although I think the odds are much better with a Honda.

Whatever you decide, welcome aboard!
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

Results of a 10K oil change

This is from an oil change while I was away on my Alaska trip this summer. Most Auto Zone's or like stores are glad for you to use their parking lot and will also recycle your old oil. The only tools I carry when traveling are those to plug tires and to change motor oil and also a stock Honda oil filter is packed.

I could tell you about how the bike was broken in when new, how I ride ect. Or about (cringe) the dreaded and sometimes emotional subject of... motor oil, which can't be brought up here because this is a conversation about a motorcycle. All that IMO has so much less to do with these great results than the fact that we own a masterpiece of engineering built to extremely high standards. Check it out:

II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Jehu View Post

How about you, has your 6 exceeded your expectations? Maybe you broke the 50 mpg barrier? I'd like to hear how you did it. Iron butt ride plus some? Just how far did you go in a day on a 6? So you raced on the Isle of Man in the TT with your Fturob6B and I missed it? Post up your race footage. How good is your F6B?
    I can wipe this sucker down in 5 minutes and it is completely clean.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I must confess, the F6B is an amazing machine... probably one of the "best" all around heavy-weight motorcycles I've ever owned or ridden. What it lacks in personality it makes up for with reliability and performance. Is it my favorite bike...??? That's like asking someone which of their children or grandchildren they love the most.

nice stable!

Quote Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
    I must confess, the F6B is an amazing machine... probably one of the "best" all around heavy-weight motorcycles I've ever owned or ridden. What it lacks in personality it makes up for with reliability and performance. Is it my favorite bike...??? That's like asking someone which of their children or grandchildren they love the most.

I recognize all of those. Yep you have the bases loaded with some excellent machines. If I had the money, my garage would look similar!! WELL DONE!

Smile Love it when that happens...

Quote Originally Posted by WEGI View Post
    Hi Drive Jehu;

Best bike I ever owned...handles like a Mini, rides like a Cadillac! I have ridden this bike further in one day than any other in my riding life. 1070 miles in 16 1/2 hours with no intention to do this at start up, it just happened! One of those days where " I can do a few more miles, it's still early..." Next thing I knew I was only 4 hours from home. No sense stopping now!

Kasperwing wrote;
    "At 64 now, realizing that my skills will never be what they were, and to go down now, it will be much harder to heal... so doing everything to be safe makes so much sense!""

This is exactly how I feel and why I'm an ATGATT rider. At 70 Bohn Armor, Kevlar reinforced pants and jacket, modular helmet, gloves and riding boots are my best bet against a survivable crash that will end my riding.

All that and a great handling and comfortable bike sure make for a great ride!

WEG

I know the feeling. Rode to a BMW rally some 1500 miles from home. Took 3 days to get there.
    ....... a day later, soon time to go home. There was a bloke there that pissed me off. Rather than going to jail, I packed my shit and started riding. The year was 1994, and I was on a 1994 BMW R1100RS. Rode and rode and road. Kept saying a little more. Stopped every 2.5 to 3 hrs for a small bite, and gas. 1,382 miles and 22.40 hours later I was home.

I guess my two cents on what I appreciate about this bike are how you don't really have to think about it; just go ride it. I change the oil and filter once per year and use Mobil 1; check the air pressure every few weeks; spray it down with Honda Spray Polish when I feel like it....however, most times, just put my stuff on and go. Doesn't matter how short or far either. I have not once thought about whether or not it will make there, or back, or if I need to orient my route towards a station that has 91 octane fuel, how rough the roads are, or anything.

I have no idea when was the last time I checked the oil.

I think this is a major benefit of owning this proven machine.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperwing View Post
    I know the feeling. Rode to a BMW rally some 1500 miles from home. Took 3 days to get there.
    ....... a day later, soon time to go home. There was a bloke there that pissed me off. Rather than going to jail, I packed my shit and started riding. The year was 1994, and I was on a 1994 BMW R1100RS. Rode and rode and road. Kept saying a little more. Stopped every 2.5 to 3 hrs for a small bite, and gas. 1,382 miles and 22.40 hours later I was home.
    I have mentioned this before...I do not seem to be built for such extended periods of riding. Today, I rode 275 miles from my camp to Old Forge, and back on the NYS Thruway. My butt was getting sore every hour or so, to the point where I could go on but wanted to stop, stretch, to keep the ride enjoyable. I was glad to pull in the garage at 6:00pm, after starting my riding day at 11:30am.

My first 100 miles - no problem - after that, I feel the need to stop every 50 miles or so (perhaps every 80 miles on Interstate travel). All I need is a five minute break and I am good to go again.

I know guys that ride around the country, and have 500-600 mile days; I am afraid to go with them because I will either drive them nuts stopping every hour or be miserable except for the first couple of hours or so.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6