KING TOUR PAK ON THE B
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KING TOUR PAK ON THE B

KING TOUR PAK ON THE B

I decided to jump into a fall project now rather than later since the Cortez trip will demand some luggage space when I pick up the GF in Durango at the airport next year. She's got limited time for the Rally and I've got limited space for her "stuff" So I found this guy in town yesterday who sells tons of Harley items, mainly paks and saddlebags. Got over to his house and the kitchen, den, and study were packed with Harley goodies. So I picked up this black King Tour Pak from the mid or late 90's with a nice black rack attached. Someone took great care of this one to be several decades old. Even the running lights plug is still there and will tie it in to the B. It fits on the Dale rack with no issues so figure that 4 bolts through the steel plate in the bottom of the Pak will suffice through the Dale rack. GF gave the when she saw it so all is good. Next shots will be a while when it's mounted up and secure......4 bolts on and 4 bolts off.....at least that's the idea. Also to Hornblower for the red accent idea. Wanted to break up the gray just a bit. Those 3 holes on each side will be plugged up where the speakers were attached. Don't need no stinkin speakers. I'll be making an insert for the back of the Pak that's missing. Probably an etched metal plate to fit with F6B engraving. Idea's are welcome.

Nice find. June's upholstery makes some nice speaker pods which would take care of the speaker holes just fine.

There are rear speaker wires under the seat that are going unused.

I added the Kuryakyn trailer harness (Kuryakyn part #7676 and #3234) and a flat trailer disconnect harness to power the lights on my tour pack.

If you are going to keep the tour pack on your B, you could also use the antenna on the tour pack.

Nice find if the price was right. Are you going to paint it?

I was seriously looking at tour packs a couple months ago. I was leaning towards the later model ones. Started adding up price, paint, reupholstering the back rest to match my seat etc... Starting to think I may just put a hitch and get a trailer...

I can get quite a lot of luggage in the Kury Grand traveler bag I have been using.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Nice find. June's upholstery makes some nice speaker pods which would take care of the speaker holes just fine.

There are rear speaker wires under the seat that are going unused.

I added the Kuryakyn trailer harness (Kuryakyn part #7676 and #3234) and a flat trailer disconnect harness to power the lights on my tour pack.

If you are going to keep the tour pack on your B, you could also use the antenna on the tour pack.
    The antenna is a good idea, I have been ,looking at doing that with mine.
    Problem is making ours work with theirs. There seems to be no way to connect the two together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Nice find if the price was right. Are you going to paint it?

I was seriously looking at tour packs a couple months ago. I was leaning towards the later model ones. Started adding up price, paint, reupholstering the back rest to match my seat etc... Starting to think I may just put a hitch and get a trailer...

I can get quite a lot of luggage in the Kury Grand traveler bag I have been using.
    The seller had plenty of Paks and saddlebags. He had advertised a red one but when I met him, he had this black one with the rack and in nicer shape. I had planned on getting the GIVI V47 since I have the rack for it, but this guy wanted $295 for any of the Paks, and this one will hold some stuff or 2 full face helmets plus more stuff. A good friend has a paint and body shop and can get the matte gray paint and I'll probably have him do it after I get all the mounting done. The Dale rack is held in place with 4 M8's, the 2 front ones are 70mm and 2 rear are 80mm. I just ordered 4 M8x90mm Flat Head Socket screws and if all things align with the stars, I'll mount the Pak directly with those 4 M8's. That might be a pain in the butt due taking off the trunk will loosen the rack, spacers, etc. More thinking ahead on the mounting. I'm certainly impressed with the Dale rack and the 4 M8's ability to hold whatever goes on it. I've put all I have on trying to lift the back of the B by the rack and it's apparent one can put just about anything back there weight wise. This Pak is BIG, may look funky on the B, but is FUNCTIONAL, and that's the purpose, and the GF gave me a , so it's a done deal.

Ha, can't look any funkier than mine. I made an aluminum plate that bolts on to the stock Honda mounts and goes forward. The front is attached to a tube set in the backrest mount from my Corbin seat. The plate carries an older HD tourpack with a chopped backrest ( arm rests cut off). The tourpack is mounted such that the backrest is right against my back. So for touring I have a Corbin solo seat with a tourpack to lean back against. Not the most aesthetic but it works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    The antenna is a good idea, I have been ,looking at doing that with mine.
    Problem is making ours work with theirs. There seems to be no way to connect the two together.
    Should be able to join the 2 with a coax patch cable.

tour pack

F6B by David Greenhause, on Flickr
    Used a chopped pack to the lines, think it looked better less bulk. also the pad lets me remove the seat without any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Should be able to join the 2 with a coax patch cable.
    In looking at the cable , it has a cable with about four pins then plugs into the audio unit
    under seat. Still trying to figure this one out. would love to put the antenna on the tour pack.
    any picts or part numbers would be great, this would make a great heated garage winter project
    to keep a winter mind working.

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    In looking at the cable , it has a cable with about four pins then plugs into the audio unit
    under seat. Still trying to figure this one out. would love to put the antenna on the tour pack.
    any picts or part numbers would be great, this would make a great heated garage winter project
    to keep a winter mind working.
    Shortleg0521,

My antenna is under the deck so I can't examine it. If memory serves, the antenna either screws onto a stud, or has a stud to screw into a female threaded base (a variation of the picture below). Inside of the HD trunk, the AM/FM has it's screw on attachment. You should be able to make a patch cable with screw on connectors on each end. Maybe start with a HD patch cable and modify the other end to attach to the B's mount ? Instead of trying to match up the proprietary Honda clip, try using the threaded mount as a connection point.

Maybe JimmyTee can chime in on how he connected his powered antenna. I don't know if he hooked it up to the Honda OEM head unit or one of his aftermarket units.