What is your expected manufacturing date for...

Thread: What is your expected manufacturing date for...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is your expected manufacturing date for...

...new tires that you would be ordering from a vendor?

I am a little fragged over what I just received. Even sent them a note with my order, telling them I wanted fresh manufactured tires since I was not planning to install them for several months (wanted to take advantage of a Black Friday sale). Even had a short email later with them, with them stating how they order tires on a weekly basis directly from the manufacturer as their stock runs out.

So yesterday I receive tires with manufacturing dates of 23016 and 44016 (23rd week of 2016 and 44 week of 2016). One of them is way over a year old... I wanted tires at least manufactured within 2017.

Why is it so hard to get fresh rubber?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Wonder if you got them from one of our Vendors. They should be okay, not as "new" as you hoped for, but if they are MC tires, they will most likely be worn out, by early or mid summer. Then, when re-ordering, it may be a good idea to switch Vender. Venders are like all other businesses, trying to reduce inventory, by years end.

I sent them another email expressing my displeasure and disappointment. Will see if they bother to respond.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I would think once a tire is molded it will sit to cure, then be stacked for shipping. IF it comes from out of the country, then sit in a container across the pond to the US and then go through distribution channels and finally a store.

I don't know if this helps but I found on Tire Rack site.....

From Tire Rack Tire Tech Information - Tire Aging Part #2. …common for us to receive new tires directly from manufacturers that are already six to nine months old. Since we rotate our inventory, most of the tires we ship are less than a year old.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I would think once a tire is molded it will sit to cure, then be stacked for shipping. IF it comes from out of the country, then sit in a container across the pond to the US and then go through distribution channels and finally a store.

From Tire Rack Tire Tech Information - Tire Aging Part #2. �common for us to receive new tires directly from manufacturers that are already six to nine months old. Since we rotate our inventory, most of the tires we ship are less than a year old.
    Maybe motorcycle tires are recieved by the consumer; are more aged than a car tire since a motorcycle tire is not as common as a car tire?

...albeit I’ve never received motorcycle tires from an online vendor that are this old.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post

From Tire Rack Tire Tech Information - Tire Aging Part #2. �common for us to receive new tires directly from manufacturers that are already six to nine months old. Since we rotate our inventory, most of the tires we ship are less than a year old.
    The last set I got from Wingstuff were 7 months old, I felt that was some of the newest I had ever gotten.

Year and a half is no big deal. Think about the leftover new bikes that are sold. Think about some of the low mileage used bikes being sold on this forum. Bikes bought new in 2013-2014 and only 3-4,000 miles. Unless your one of them. Just another thought, if you happen to get a tire that is 6-9 months old, YOU my be that person that discovers an defective batch of tires, the bad way. I generally use 1+ front and 2 rears a season.

I'll catch it for this, but I have in my possession, a never used, still stickered, front tire that is over 6 years old, and I'll use it if I have to in the future. I've done it before with no issue. Lucky, maybe....dumb, wouldn't be the first time I heard that. I'm in the business, and I've seen old tires fail. I've also seen much older tires go on and on. Choice of the rider. I will say this, if I can afford a brand new set next year, I'm going that route. If not, well we know which direction I'm going with the front and I'll be looking for a good take-off rear.

Will....don't fret about the tires you bought. The tire industry says you have years before you need to worry.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.