Russell Day Long Seat is On! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russell Day Long Seat is On!

Photos...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to post photos...
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That's a very impressive seat !!
    Ok he's done

Tim, first...the bike looks great. There are been a very few bikes that have come out of HOR lately with that color, and it makes the bike look very good.

Second, I can see an issue with the seat, that I "think" may be a problem, but...I am not the one sitting on it. It appears to me that the riders backrest is tilted back too far. I think that by having the riders backrest tilted back, rather than vertically straight up, it causes the rider to lean back into the backrest, tilting the pelvic girdle, causing the rider to slip forward in the seat. This is just my observations from looking at the pictures.

Good pictures, BTW.

I know you said you are 6'2", and 190, but what is your inseam? Ignoring the riders backrest for a moment, either by removing it, or tilting it so far backwards that it does not make contact with your back...how is the seat to ride in, if you sit upright on the seat? What if you were to tilt the riders backrest forward, in more of a vertical straight up position, and try riding it there.

EDIT: I went back and re-read one of your posts, and see where you have already tried this without thr backrest in place. Darn !

Of course, it is easy for me to make verbal adjustments from 2650 miles away. As stated before, only you can make that decision if this seat works for you, or not. And I agree with your comment...you either know if a seat will work for you, or will not work for you. There is no need to keep it and waste that money, if it does not work for you. I had the same experience with an Ultimate seat...5 seconds out of the box I knew for a fact it would not work for me.

Do what you can, but in the end, take care of your own pocketbook, and butt.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Tim, first...the bike looks great. There are been a very few bikes that have come out of HOR lately with that color, and it makes the bike look very good.

X2!!!! the contrast is EXCELLENT!!!

IMHO, I'd 'dial in' the feel a bit more w/o the backrest. It will take more than a day or 2 to determine all this.
    Also believe, if memory serves, you are coming off a Corbin. You may have to 're-boot' your seat memories to get a clear pic of what (and why) the RDL feels like it does.

IMHO, absolutely worth taking the time, and if needed, extra shipping expense, to get it dialed in to your needs. Russell has a 'comfort guarantee'. No other 'mass produced' seat company will do this. (Ultimate/Corbin might alter your seat, but once they alter it, it's YOURS FOREVER. Russell will buy your seat back if they can't fit you.)

As Miles said, don't ride in pain, but if possible, get a clear 'mental image' of exactly what's occuring after it breaks in a bit.

Good advice by all... stay tuned!
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Couple of ours installed.

Got that funky shop light shine! LOL!!!

Attachment 2879

Attachment 2880

I like your seat! Is that the sunbrella fabric? I'll be curious to find out how does the comfort of it compare to leather/vinyl seating surface as well as velour.

Yep, Sunbrella 'canvas' in black. (Comes in a fair amount of other colors as well, but nothing that caught my eye)

The HOT season is slowing down here,, and I've never had Velour, but it will be easy enough to do some comparo's on temp while the bikes are sitting in the sun.

(I thought about velour, but dang, my bike is borderline purple, and a 'fuzzy' seat would just about make me feel like I should bust out in a chorus of 'Purple Rain!!!' )

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Couple of ours installed.

Got that funky shop light shine! LOL!!!

Attachment 2879

Attachment 2880
    Really looks nice.I know you have said your a Big boy as I am the same-6'5" and down to 350.Hope to be in the 200's next year but I will never be "normal sized".Was wanting to know how that seat has been working out for you.I asume you had a heavy suspension built in?I am planning to do a ride in next year to have one done for my F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    I am planning to do a ride in next year to have one done for my F6B.

When you plan on coming over to Nor Cal to have the seat done....let me know in advance...and I will ride down and meet with you while they are doing your seat. There is a decent pizza parlor (not great...but decent) just down the road a mile or so. Too far to walk, and sitting around there for 6+ hours gets to be boring. let me know, and if I am not on a ride cross-country, I will be there. It is only 530 miles from my house.