Russell Day Long Seat is On! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Russell Day Long Seat is On!

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    Really looks nice.I know you have said your a Big boy as I am the same-6'5" and down to 350.Hope to be in the 200's next year but I will never be "normal sized".Was wanting to know how that seat has been working out for you.I asume you had a heavy suspension built in?I am planning to do a ride in next year to have one done for my F6B.
    Today was the first day out on our RDL's . To me, it was no real surprise on what I could expect as this would be my 3rd RDL. (I'm 330/6-0. Yep, heavy suspension option added)

It was about 70ish w/ 20-30 winds from the north, so vinyl / vs. canvas comparo's perhaps weren't as 'distinguishable' as they may have been on hotter/cooler days.

My RDL 'pocket' felt great!!! (21 inches wide at widest point) I now sit a littler higher up and a bit farther back. I scoot forward a little bit at lights to reach the ground better. (Only a 30 inseam)

The way you tell if you have a good seat is if you never think about it or yer butt all day. Other than a little scoot up-scoot back at stoplights or getting back in the pocket, I never gave anything else a 2nd thought.

The Wife:

Before, she was 'perfectly happy with her Ultimate' on her old Roadliner. Still, by the end of the day, she was the one standing up at the stoplights, trying to get the blood flow going again,,,.

Finally talked he into trying an RDL. Today was her first day on the Day long. She's a little higher up and perhaps a little further back now as well. (5'10 and just under 'double Ben' in wt. No HD suspension.)

She definitely noticed the difference!! No pressure on the tailbone, just cruising along 'in the pocket', never giving a 2nd thought to comfort or getting any numb-butt.

Pretty sure she'll stick with RDL now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Today was the first day out on our RDL's . To me, it was no real surprise on what I could expect as this would be my 3rd RDL. (I'm 330/6-0. Yep, heavy suspension option added)

It was about 70ish w/ 20-30 winds from the north, so vinyl / vs. canvas comparo's perhaps weren't as 'distinguishable' as they may have been on hotter/cooler days.

My RDL 'pocket' felt great!!! (21 inches wide at widest point) I now sit a littler higher up and a bit farther back. I scoot forward a little bit at lights to reach the ground better. (Only a 30 inseam)

The way you tell if you have a good seat is if you never think about it or yer butt all day. Other than a little scoot up-scoot back at stoplights or getting back in the pocket, I never gave anything else a 2nd thought.

The Wife:

Before, she was 'perfectly happy with her Ultimate' on her old Roadliner. Still, by the end of the day, she was the one standing up at the stoplights, trying to get the blood flow going again,,,.

Finally talked he into trying an RDL. Today was her first day on the Day long. She's a little higher up and perhaps a little further back now as well. (5'10 and just under 'double Ben' in wt. No HD suspension.)

She definitely noticed the difference!! No pressure on the tailbone, just cruising along 'in the pocket', never giving a 2nd thought to comfort or getting any numb-butt.

Pretty sure she'll stick with RDL now as well.
    Thanks for giving me your thoughts on your new saddle.You sealed the deal for me and I will get one next year some time.I want to wait till my LB's drop so I will get a better fit when I have it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    When you plan on coming over to Nor Cal to have the seat done....let me know in advance...and I will ride down and meet with you while they are doing your seat. There is a decent pizza parlor (not great...but decent) just down the road a mile or so. Too far to walk, and sitting around there for 6+ hours gets to be boring. let me know, and if I am not on a ride cross-country, I will be there. It is only 530 miles from my house.
    That sounds great Miles but I don't know if telling me about Pizza is the best thing for a Big boy trying to drop many LB's-LOL.I hope late spring if I can continue dropping the weight like I have so I can be at a point to get a better fit for the size I am shooting for.Holidays are coming up and it will be a tough time for staying to the plan-but I am giving it the old college try.I may be up in southern Washington next year as our daughter and grandson now reside in Battle Ground.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    That sounds great Miles but I don't know if telling me about Pizza is the best thing for a Big boy trying to drop many LB's-LOL.I hope late spring if I can continue dropping the weight like I have so I can be at a point to get a better fit for the size I am shooting for.Holidays are coming up and it will be a tough time for staying to the plan-but I am giving it the old college try.I may be up in southern Washington next year as our daughter and grandson now reside in Battle Ground.
    They do also have salads...which are a smart thing to east. I have distant relatives that live in Battle Ground, WA. Haven't seen them in 40+ years.

Remember, for a ride-in appt., you need to make that months in advance.

SEAT UPDATE:

After about 400 miles on the seat, I'm resigned to the fact that it just isn't for me. The seating position just ain't right FOR ME. Too much scooting me forward. This seat will be perfect for someone else, but it's just not for me.

I've sent my Corbin to be re-upholstered with velour and taking out the "Goldenrod" wale around the edges of the seat. Shueys Auto Upholstery in Staunton, VA (the best!) is doing the work and I'll sell my RDL seat when the Corbin comes back (estimated 12/1).

Price with adjustable rider backrest (as shown) and passenger backrest pad ONLY... $975 shipped to lower 48. The passenger backrest bracket hardware is OEM and I'm using it for my Corbin when it's ready, again estimated to be 12/1 or so. PM me if your interested. I'll ship it as soon as my Corbin is picked from the upholsterer.
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Same problem as you initially posted?:

But with MY seat and/or MY seating position (I'm 6'2", 190lbs), the seat pushes me slightly forward constantly. It keeps scooting me forward, and it "cramps my style", if you catch my drift.

I've tried every position of the rider's backrest (nice, thick and plush; readily and infinitely adjustable), which is also scooting me forward... and can't find a spot where it's not aiding in the sensation of my jewels being cramped. TMI, I know.

I even removed the rider's backrest altogether and even without the backrest, I find the seat still tries to scoot me forward.

Have you contacted Russell Cycle Products to let 'em know it ain't working?

After 400 miles, you can't say you didn't give it a try,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Same problem as you initially posted?:

But with MY seat and/or MY seating position (I'm 6'2", 190lbs), the seat pushes me slightly forward constantly. It keeps scooting me forward, and it "cramps my style", if you catch my drift.

I've tried every position of the rider's backrest (nice, thick and plush; readily and infinitely adjustable), which is also scooting me forward... and can't find a spot where it's not aiding in the sensation of my jewels being cramped. TMI, I know.

I even removed the rider's backrest altogether and even without the backrest, I find the seat still tries to scoot me forward.

Have you contacted Russell Cycle Products to let 'em know it ain't working?

After 400 miles, you can't say you didn't give it a try,,,
    I'd rather not send it back, have them more customize it, and alter it where it might be difficult to sell.

We'll see after my "new" Corbin comes back from the local upholsterer.
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For me the forward position would be nice but with 28 inch inseam I couldn't touch the ground.
    It's still a very cool looking seat.
    Ok he's done